Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sat Nav Humour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nickwill

Sat Nav Humour

Evil or Very Mad Can anyone help with a problem I have with sat nav directions on the motorway. When travelling from Lincolnshire to Cornwall, A46, M1, M69, M6, M42 & M5 the directions frequently suggest that I exit at a particular junction and then, **gger me it then suggests that I take the second turning that, you guessed it, takes me back on the motorway again. Ok I'm not the type that follows the instructions blindly and ends up in the middle of a field but for the money we pay, i'd expect the system to be a bit more intelligent. Has anyone else had this problem and if so any ideas on how to sort it out. Worried that one day SWMBO may go on and off the motorway at each junction and never get there. TVM

Post #39252 23rd Mar 2009 8:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i know exactly what you mean Evil or Very Mad

the one time you think sod it, i'm not going to come off at this junction it will be the one you should have, 10 mile u-turn detour later your back there again

To be honest thats why i often play the route in preview mode if i haven't a clue where i am going Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #39253 23rd Mar 2009 8:35 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I used to use a GPS enabled DPA with Navman routing software and it did the same thing - it read junctions as part of the routing. After many complaints to navman by users they did a downloadable patch that cured it. My RRS has taken to doing the same thing recently and I wonder if it has to do with the routing settings because SWMBO in the dashboard never used to utter a word on long trips and now she nags at every junction after I had some accessory driving lights fitted to the car which meant disconnecting the battery. I have now silenced the voice completely as it is so annoying on a long journey. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #39280 23rd Mar 2009 11:24 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

On this subject does anyone know somebody who fixes sat nays? Mine is broken, its saying that Liverpool is still in Europe!

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #40640 17th Apr 2009 11:04 am
ad210358

England 

Bill Turner wrote:
On this subject does anyone know somebody who fixes sat nays? Mine is broken, its saying that Liverpool is still in Europe!

Bill Turner.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #40673 17th Apr 2009 5:58 pm
ad210358

England 

My sat nav is just the same, it tells me to come off at junctions then get back on the next slip road, near me a bypass was opened about three years ago and it knows the bypass is there but it always routes the way through the village instead of using the bypass. I have a choice here of getting to the M25 (about 20 miles away using the A41 or the old road which runs almost parallel to it but it wants me to use the old road but not the new one. Going back to the Tomtom. Big Cry p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #40674 17th Apr 2009 6:06 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

I think the built-in satnav is always using the 'shortest distance' method of route planning. Decent standalone units give you the choice of that or 'shortest time', as well as weeding out obviously crazy routes. I've seen:

Leave and rejoin the motorway at the same exit

Take road through busy town, instead of taking the dual-carriageway bypass

Take 'short cut' via farm track to save 200 yards, as A road follows curve

While we're listing satnav issues, just how hard would it have been to have the TMC 'There is slow traffic' popup window actually tell us what the holdup is in that vast amount of white space? It knows what it is - we can guess the incident it means and click on it to read the report.

- Dick

Post #40700 18th Apr 2009 12:52 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

On the old Navman I used to use in Holland there was one point on a straight road where at the traffic lights it would tell you to take a right just to make a U-turn 5 meters up the road and joing back onto the same road.......very strange. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #40717 19th Apr 2009 9:49 am
ad210358

England 

The Sat Nav in my Freelander 2 which I know cannot be trusted as it will take you off Motorways and then back on the otherside, at the week end it did a strange one. Travelling out on the A40 out of Oxford towards Witney on a straight bit of road, it wanted me to turn in to a Lay-By which was around 20 metres long. It said " In two Hundred Yards Turn Left then Turn Left" the map was also displaying what it wanted me to do, basicly leave the main A40 turn into the Lay-By then turn left again to rejoin the Main Road. This was on a perfectly straight bit of road which would have increased the distance of travel so it was not choosing a shorter route. Who programmes these Sat Navs to do this? Rolling Eyes p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #41866 11th May 2009 11:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

makes me wonder if the satnav company has a car tracking itself to map new roads, old road, whatever roads and the chap pulled into the layby for a p Censored stop and a bacon butty and forgot to turn the tracker off Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #41873 12th May 2009 8:25 am
IanB9

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Traveling back from Scotland last week, I knew there were major road works on the A80 in Cumbernauld, so I picked a suggested route which avoided the area. As I left the M80 the sat nav told me the rest of the journey would take 2h 3mins, which is about right. Anyway after following the suggested route across country for about 25 mins I checked again, and now I only had 2h 38mins to go! As soon as I hit the M8 I let my internal map take over.

Post #42076 17th May 2009 4:30 pm
ad210358

England 

Yesterday mine was telling me to do lefts then right when I knew straight on would be better, went in to options and unmarked the TMC option since then it has been fine. if the TMC option is highlighted the sat nav automatically tries to route you round problems. Now I still have the TMC announcements and I can then choose to find another route should I want to. Smile p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #42151 19th May 2009 6:06 pm
WGG1848

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Software updates

Do we get any software updates or new disks to the sat nav; to rectify what is at present a completely useless piece of equipment?

Post #42258 22nd May 2009 8:04 pm
ad210358

England 
Re: Software updates

WGG1848 wrote:
Do we get any software updates or new disks to the sat nav; to rectify what is at present a completely useless piece of equipment?

You can get new discs, but I have done and it still gives daft routes and if the papers are to be believed after next year they will be obsolete due to the satellites failing. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #42375 26th May 2009 6:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my new disc did update software or so it said on the screen

The road system will only be as good as the company that maps them and with them changing all the time, the disc will always need updating

IMO the satnav is fine, bar the lack of speed camera etc, better than sticking, unsticking a satnav to the screen or cubbyhole each time you get in and out of the car so you don't come on first name terms with the local autoglass dealership Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42382 26th May 2009 8:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1