Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bluefin Superchip upgrade!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Hi Podcast
I guess you have a point. In my case it's an addiction, I think I have modded virtually every car I have owned, apart from my 1st company car, a base model Citroen ZX Diesel, only mode for this would have been a mineshaft!

I do use the Freel for a lot of towing and offroad, the extra tourque does make a difference here. Try taking it over a freshly ploughed field in sand mode and you will see what I mean.

The extra power does make for more relaxed every day driving with less gear changing, however mine is used mostly on quiet Cornish roads (not July, August!), It might be different if used in busier urban conditions.

I just like playing with mechanicals really!! However electronics are rapidly spoiling the fun it seems.

Martin 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #39340 25th Mar 2009 8:35 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Podcast wrote:
I've never really understood the mentality of chipping a big, heavy slow 4x4 estate??? Shocked Can someone enlighten me as to why people do this? I used to have an RX8, fast, handled like a dream & went like stink, but now I have a FL2 XS & drive it accordingly. Will be replcing my missus MX5 with a newish TT soon as I still like a spin in a quick car now & again! Just my two penneth, but I don't get it....

Can’t agree more Thumbs Up Our Freelys are not meant for high speed, rather comfort on rough roads. If you want a boy-racer vehicle then a 4x4 is the wrong choice.

On a recent trip to the UK, my hire car was a 200bhp VW EOS - good fun to drive, but I would say next to useless to own here in Norway where a 4x4 is more ideal. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #39341 25th Mar 2009 8:38 am
Rowy

Podcast wrote:
I've never really understood the mentality of chipping a big, heavy slow 4x4 estate??? Shocked Can someone enlighten me as to why people do this? I used to have an RX8, fast, handled like a dream & went like stink, but now I have a FL2 XS & drive it accordingly. Will be replcing my missus MX5 with a newish TT soon as I still like a spin in a quick car now & again! Just my two penneth, but I don't get it....

Like saying why buy A TDV8 Range Rover when you can buy a TDV6???
Because ya get more power and more torque, i.e better for over taking old biddies doing 40 on an open A road that put their foot down as you go to pass them. OR for over taking a horse box/Tractor/Artic on a hill and getting out of the way of on-coming traffic. OR so you can load it with 300kg from the wholesalers and not get in peoples way trying to pull away from the lights.
If you had a RX8 you Know that sometimes, just sometimes when some Knob head is right up your arse you could give the peddle a quick squeeze.....

Last edited by Rowy on 5th Aug 2009 10:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #39359 25th Mar 2009 1:08 pm
Ratatatat

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver

Quote:
Podcast wrote:
I've never really understood the mentality of chipping a big, heavy slow 4x4 estate??? Can someone enlighten me as to why people do this? I used to have an RX8, fast, handled like a dream & went like stink, but now I have a FL2 XS & drive it accordingly. Will be replcing my missus MX5 with a newish TT soon as I still like a spin in a quick car now & again! Just my two penneth, but I don't get it....

Evil or Very Mad

Well let me enlighten you pod-meister.....

You live in the relatively wealthy, but culturally depraved and moribund sarf east/m4 coridoor. A land of flatness, traffic congestion, cctv, terrorist alert, over crowding and over priced houses. Twisted Evil Why would you want a 4x4? come to think of it why would you want a fast car ? My FL2 has 2x the power of an RX8, I could overtake you on the up-ramp of Waitrose as you go shopping at the weekend if you are two-up Laughing

In contrast some of us have daily commute of fells and hills - requiring power - often towing or carrying heavy loads in our cavernous vehicles. My world is where the bbc claim we have 'weather'.

It's about power not speed, and turn that baseball cap around!

How about we agree to let you have 'Horses for courses' and let us have 'Less talk, more torque'! Wink Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac.............

A little voice inside my head said "Don't look back, you can never look back"

Post #39367 25th Mar 2009 2:30 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Firstly, I wanted a FL2 as I wanted a safe, large, family car that's economical & I like the look of, the FL2 fitted the bill quiet well, the fact it's 4x4 doesn't matter either way. Yeah, the RX8's low on torque, but it's a sports car & does 0.60 in 6.4secs, the FL2 doesn't, but I don't see the need to chip it for more power? As for beating me up the ramp at waitrose, I'd probably have finished shopping & be at home with a brew on before you got there Laughing

Fair enough if you feel the need for chipping it 'cos you reckon you live in a hilly area & drive around with heavy loads all the time, but please don't preach to me about hills, I was born & bred in Yorkshire. My FL2 & RX8 do/did exactly what it said on the tin, but for me, chipping a FL2 for more power is like fitting a roof rack on a TT for extra storage! Laughing Maybe you should have got a Disco instead.

Post #39369 25th Mar 2009 3:04 pm
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Ratatatat,

did you not know that a large 4X4 is required for city driving? Rolling Eyes How else would you travel the half mile to drop the children off at school Laughing Chelsea tractors!!! Laughing

Post #39372 25th Mar 2009 5:00 pm
agroman

Boys, boys, who has just taken a tin opener to that container of worms!

I just want more torque without "computer says no" messages. 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone

Post #39373 25th Mar 2009 5:11 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have ran mine with Bluefin for 14000 miles now and tow with it as well, so far not one problem.

After talking to someone within Land Rover, the 2.2 TD4 can quite happily run the Superchips bluefin without problems but of course could not officially state this publically. There are 'rumours' that some FL2's within Land Rover run increased performance maps Wink

Once the standard map is installed back in the car, there is no evidence of the Bluefin ever being there or a download ever being made.

However, the two issues stated here, may not be caused by the Bluefin, but just highlighted by the, There has apparently been some turbos that could suffer from premature failure, and the bluefin with it's extra boost will highlight which ones are faulty by asking them to work a little harder when under load. On the standard map, these faults may not be seen for a long period of time.

It is worth noting that when driving normally, the drive train is put under no additional stress than with the standard map, it will only cause additional problems if you paste it. Also, running shell V-Power diesel or BP Ultimate is always recomended on re-mapped cars. We have found that the car does more mpg with the bluefin. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #39375 25th Mar 2009 5:31 pm
agroman

Hi Mav
Thanks for the reply. You are giving me confidence to fit the Bluefin again when I get the car back from the dealers. Interestingly I have got a new (1.5K mile) auto from the dealers at the moment, that seems to spin up and excelerate a lot better than my manual when in standard form, so just wondering if variable vanes on my turbo are not doing what they are supposed to.

If no download log of the Bluefin can be seen by diagnostic equipment then I am happy to try it again to see what happens. Didn't realy want to get a reduced boost pressure map from Superchips as this will give less power, therefore might not be worth the cost and better to send it back for a refund.

Martin 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone

Post #39380 25th Mar 2009 5:59 pm
Rowy

Podcast wrote:
Maybe you should have got a Disco instead.

TDV6 Disco slower than an FL2 and less power & torque than mine!!

Post #39392 25th Mar 2009 7:59 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Sorry my bad, didn't know torque was so important?? Before you know it there will be a thread about how many tic-toc's the indicators make on an 08 v 09 model...... oh no, somebody beat me to it! Laughing

Post #39394 25th Mar 2009 8:47 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Podcast wrote:
thread about how many tic-toc's the indicators make on an 08 v 09 model...... oh no, somebody beat me to it! Laughing

how many? CG must know Sheep At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #39395 25th Mar 2009 8:50 pm
Ratatatat

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver

Thought the old north v south debate chestnut would last longer than that, though it was fun Smile

...........especially with poddy claiming his heritage ticket, when everyone knows his Yorkshire roots are probably from the mists of time when Sheffield used to have coal mines and spent most weekends pigeon racing, on some NUM march in Leeds or lamenting when the Tadcaster brewery produced real ale (never)...............incidentally, my last car was a D3 which in comparison to the FL2 was a Censored drive and why I changed......and I apologise directly to podcast that I didn't realise he wasn't clued up about torque. It makes a significant difference to the way you drive under load, but I guess the only consideration to what 'gear' you choose in basingstoke is whether you smoke it or sniff it Whistle (light paper and stand back......)

Anyway, all seems ok for now with the turbo. Don't know how long it will last, but happy that I have 3 years warranty Cool Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac.............

A little voice inside my head said "Don't look back, you can never look back"

Post #39408 26th Mar 2009 7:21 am
agroman

Luckily I don't include myself in the North South thing, as I frequent an entirely different country. My visa only allows me into Devon and beyond, 4 times a year and then not for financial gain.

Yours

Southerly Celtic fringe 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone

Post #39413 26th Mar 2009 8:53 am
agroman

PS

Cornish stealers accept mangles as legal tender down here 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone

Post #39414 26th Mar 2009 8:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>