« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Air box bolt size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Robbo99

United Kingdom 
Air box bolt size

I apologise for my lack of knowledge, sorry for the silly question...
I noticed one of the bolts securing the lid of the airbox is missing from my 2007 GS, does anyone know where I can get a replacement or know the part number please?
On a side note, has anyone fitted a so called ‘performance’ air filter? I was wondering if they may prevent issues if moisture gets into the airbox with all this lovely rain we are blessed with!
Thanks in advance.

Post #384623 16th Jan 2020 7:27 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Deleted

I accidentally posted the bolts for the battery box not the air filter housing

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by p_gill on 17th Jan 2020 3:32 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #384629 16th Jan 2020 9:59 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Air box bolt size

Robbo99 wrote:

On a side note, has anyone fitted a so called ‘performance’ air filter? I was wondering if they may prevent issues if moisture gets into the airbox with all this lovely rain we are blessed with!

If you mean something like a "K&N" air filter then you'd be wasting your money putting that in a non-race diesel like the FL2. It will make no difference apart from increasing induction noise and lightning your wallet, and certainly wont affect water/moisture ingress into the airbox. The airbox has a drain and one way valve (although this seems to be missing on some forum members' cars) and should be checked in case it is blocked. Jules

Post #384637 16th Jan 2020 11:39 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I think the picture that @p_gill posted is actually of the bottom of the battery box not the air intake housing. My air intake box has all if it screws but some were over-tightened by whoever worked on the automobile before I became the owner. I think the simplest solution would be to call a JLR parts department and give them your VIN and let them lookup the part number of the air box screws unless you can get your hands on a caliper (calliper for the Brits Thumbs Up ). They can give you the part number or maybe the dimensions if it's referenced?

Regarding the K&N, my pre-owned vehicle came with one when I acquired it and they are lifetime filters if maintained properly so it technically would save buying filters. On the flipside, if you over oil them, they can cause issues with the MAF sensor. I would think investing in dedicated MAF cleaner & cleaning the MAF maybe two or three times a year if you go down that road. Lots of how to videos out there I would think.

I was running new earths today and cleaned my MAF while I was fussing in the engine compartment. As for performance, if there is any gain, it's not significant.

Post #384645 17th Jan 2020 2:51 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Not a seminal scientific experiment by any means but after cleaning the MAP and MAF sensors the car gained an extra 5% in mileage per gallon

or did I drive on more level roads?

Post #384655 17th Jan 2020 8:36 am
a100ian

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

There isn't a part number as such. Land Rover will charge you for the full airbox. I had the same trouble but I found a replacement in my box of screws.

Post #384658 17th Jan 2020 9:20 am
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

hi I have drilled out the holes in the cover and used some 6mm x 40 mm coach bolts as I was fed up with stripped threads on both of my freelanders Thumbs Up 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #384665 17th Jan 2020 10:31 am
Robbo99

United Kingdom 

Thank you for all of the replies and advice. I have managed to find a website www.advancedfactors.co.uk that show an exploded diagram of the intake system, you can order the screw from them, gives the part number ADV8796. I will give it a try and let you know if it fits.

I will stick with the regular air filter to avoid any hassle, I have been meaning to check the valve at the bottom of the airbox since reading the string on here! Thanks again for your help.

Post #384666 17th Jan 2020 10:43 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I haven't noticed any difference in performance from a filter full of dust compared to a new one. Every trip in the outback is the same.

Photo of air filter down this page
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34408.html

You will get more performance out of the car vacuuming it to reduce weight! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #384673 17th Jan 2020 11:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1