Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > XUD Peugeot / Citroens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Many moons ago my wife had a Citroen AX 1.1 Memphis, I remember it being a hideous piece of sh*te that felt slow and poorly bolted together.
On the other hand i once owned a Peugeot 205 GTI which was the best hot hatch i ever owned/drove Thumbs Up

I also had a full head of hair back then... i miss them both Big Cry 94 Disco 300 TDI Gone
96 Defender 300 TDI Gone...Should have kept it.
2003 Freelander ES TD4 Gone
2002 Defender TD5 Gone
2005 Freelander HSE TD4 Gone
2015 Freelander 2 Metropolis Keeping for now!

Post #384486 14th Jan 2020 1:45 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:
The XM was the nicest non LR car I’ve ever owned, but I don’t know if the 2.5 diesel was an XUD unit. Was it?

No, the original 2.1 Diesel engine was a development of the XU but the later 2.5 was a new design, we have had loads of Citroens from GS/GSA/CX/BX/XM/2CV/Diane/Xantia and a few more I am sure Very Happy

We loved them, best comfort ever.

Although saying that I used to remove the gas spheres on the hydro Cits and just slightly enlarge the damper orifice with some carb jet drills from work, played around with the settings until I got a nice compliment ride that suited me Thumbs Up

The XM was particularly well suited as it used an extra circuit for comfort which switched in and out and you could refine the roll restriction and damping comfort really well.......those were that days!

Edit....oh yes, and the Visa Super X and an AX..... Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #384487 14th Jan 2020 1:53 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

My dad had a blue 306 D Turbo 5 door. Lovely bucket seats in it! Later he had a 406 saloon in red. 2.1TD GLX.

I recall the 306 had a keypad near the gearstick for the immobiliser. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #384514 14th Jan 2020 7:34 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

@Boxbrownie:

No disagreements there then Thumbs Up

Funnily enough, I had 3 XM’s: one 2.0i and two 2.5’s, all estates. Loved them to bits. I probably should have had a fourth, but it would have had to be a used 2.0 turbo (for tax reasons) and it was either that or a new Volvo V70 D5. The V70 was good, but not as good.

Bought two of them from Paul Johnson, XM supremo in Oxford. The last time I went there, to pick up my last Emerald Green one, he had around 30 of them in his compound Shocked Took me ages to work out that the rear centre sphere had RRR wrong spring and damper rates Censored

Between the last XM and the first Volvo V70, I had a brand new C5 estate 2.0 HPi (not HDi). Complete pile of junk!! Big Cry

Post #384518 14th Jan 2020 8:48 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

The Doctor wrote:
My dad had a blue 306 D Turbo 5 door. Lovely bucket seats in it! Later he had a 406 saloon in red. 2.1TD GLX.

I recall the 306 had a keypad near the gearstick for the immobiliser.

Yep my last 405, the estate pictured, had the keypad immobiliser - hi tech stuff!
I loved the 306 Dturbo but didn't have the opportunity to have one. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #384535 15th Jan 2020 8:51 am
Boxbrownie

Tigger wrote:
@Boxbrownie:

Between the last XM and the first Volvo V70, I had a brand new C5 estate 2.0 HPi (not HDi). Complete pile of junk!! Big Cry

We only had two XMs....last one was the low pressure turbo’d petrol, very nice engine indeed, in Emerald Green too Thumbs Up

Agree about the C5......that’s when we stopped looking at Citroens, had a quick glance at the C6......then had to have my eyesight cured Laughing Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #384545 15th Jan 2020 1:10 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Still have my much thumbed oil stained Haynes 405 manual

Came across this at an auto jumble, couldn't resist it for £1.

Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #384579 15th Jan 2020 7:41 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Boxbrownie wrote:
We only had two XMs....last one was the low pressure turbo’d petrol, very nice engine indeed, in Emerald Green too Thumbs Up

Agree about the C5......that’s when we stopped looking at Citroens, had a quick glance at the C6......then had to have my eyesight cured Laughing

My last one was Emerald Green. I saw it before it had been prepped and had serious doubts, all of which vanished when I went to collect it; I’ve loved dark green ever since Thumbs Up

The C6 was dreadful. It was so obviously based on the C5, with the same flawed driving position and no stadium seating. No estate and not even a hatch, with a selection of engines and gearboxes that were all company car tax disasters! The XM might have been a sales catastrophe, but the C6 only sold 1/10th of the XM’s total volume during its production run Shocked

Post #384581 15th Jan 2020 8:12 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

We had a 305 estate 1.9 NA (my first diesel) when we lived in the Netherlands - it wasnt fast, but it took us to many countries without any fuss and brought all our stuff back to the UK in one go - loaded up ++ and towing a trailer it did about 40mph flat out. How I got it back in one piece Im not quite sure.

Following that I had a several Peugeot diesels; a 205 and two 405 turbo diesels. Nice engine to work on. Easy to replace the cam belts. Jules

Post #384590 15th Jan 2020 8:58 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I had P305 1.5 estate, brilliant and a Peugeot 405TD est, absolutely fantastic car and did 265,000 miles trouble free and it was so comfortable. I even filled it up once with Super unleaded instead of diesel, 60 quids worth and of course it did come to a halt some miles down the road before i realised what I had done, drained the tank and refilled with Derv, another 50k+ miles never a hiccup and went better than ever. Did buy a P206 1.4HDi new in 2003, spent many months at the dealer, fraught with electrical gremlins and took the 9 months to fix and totally new wiring looms and ECU, never the same so got shot and never had a PUG since Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #384630 16th Jan 2020 9:24 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Had 2 of them ... my first car was a peugeot 205 GRD (in 1994). and a 306 1,7D in 1999.

very reliable Thumbs Up

Post #384634 16th Jan 2020 9:40 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I was a Citroen fan before getting my first FL2. From 1986 to 2015 I owned three BXs and a Xantia. The best of the BXs was a TZD Turbo which I ran for 11 years. Rust got that. I was surprised to find out that the body panels were galvanised but the body shell wasn't!
The Xantia I had was the last fully loaded "Exclusive" model with the HDi engine so not an XUD. I ran that for 12 years. Superb but it eventually started to rust in the sills and other places.
Overall I thought they were great value for money if you bought them at or just under three years old, Ex Fleet, because people were frightened of the suspension system. In all those years I never had a problem with it. The only major fault (major because it stopped me getting to work) was one morning at 04:30am in the peeing rain (isn't it always?) the Xantia refused to start. It turned out to be the anti theft RFID antenna in the steering column had packed up. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #384743 18th Jan 2020 9:51 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I was driving one of my XMs cross country one day and noticed that the steering was feeling not quite normal. I eventually stopped and discovered that I had a puncture and a front tyre was totally shredded as I had driven on it for a few miles. The amazing thing was that the car was still level and almost drove normally as the suspension had risen to compensate. Apparently Rolls Royce and Maserati use the system under licence. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #384752 18th Jan 2020 10:20 am
Boxbrownie

Our daughter did the same thing in the BX we gave her (our old BX), she came home late one night complaining somebody had been flashing their lights and beeping her, I went out to look on the drive and one of the rear tyres was completely shredded, she said it felt perfectly normal all along the A12 and country lanes and she couldn’t hear a thing over the stupidly loud music she used to play!

I did have a moan at her about that one Whistle Regards

David

Post #384755 18th Jan 2020 10:30 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Citroen did a famous advert for the DS running almost normally with only three wheels fitted.

This suspension system is also very handy if you have to change a wheel; put it in high rise, stick the jack under the jack point in the appropriate corner, lower the suspension and the wheel comes up off the ground.

What you do have to watch with this system is dodgy tyre fitters who don't know that you should put the suspension in high rise before lifting the whole car with a car lift or one end with a trolly jack.

J

Post #384760 18th Jan 2020 11:15 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>