« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre puncture advice/help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mummylula

United Kingdom 
Tyre puncture advice/help please

Advice please. Had four new tyres (235/60R18 Michelin Cross Climate 107W XL) fitted in November 2018 at 46300 miles.

Today I find the nearside rear has a puncture with the help of a screw. I think there is a chance it can't be repaired, its right on the borderline I will know more when i take it in tomorrow.

The car has now done 52800 (6500) miles since the tyres were first fitted.

So if the tyre can't be repaired I will have to replace it. If so can I just have a new tyre of the same make etc put on the rear or must I replace both rears? Alternatively can the two front tyres be put on the rear and the new tyre and the other rear one be moved to the front?

Any advice would be appreciated as I would prefer to visit the tyre place with some knowledge.

Many thanks. Happy New Year.

Mummylula
LR Freelander 2 HSE

Post #383447 30th Dec 2019 4:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My view

I think your tyres are directional which limits their "swapability" ie you cant swap LH to RH only front with back.

Id compare the thread depth of the 3 other tyres and a new tyre.

I would guess that as the three remaining tyres are all fairly new and hopefully not very worn. it wont matter where you put a new one ie back or front.
But Id put a new tyre on the same axle as the least worn tyre providing the difference is not too great (re diff wear) but I dont actually know what the limits relating to this would be.

If youve managed to really wear out your tyres then you are look at 2 new tyres probably. Jules

Post #383451 30th Dec 2019 5:13 pm
Longdave

United Kingdom 

my view

I suspect that many of the well known transmission problems on FL2 are associated with fitting tyres with differing wear remaining, both front to rear and/or on same axle. I would be inclined to try to find a part worn tyre with no more that 2mm tread difference to your other three, for example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235-60-R-18-Mic...SwwgVeCf-g

It would be interesting to know how many worn rear diffs and transfer boxes come off cars with mismatched tyre wear.

Post #383464 30th Dec 2019 7:58 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

There is a lot of concern out there regarding Freelanders and tyre matching. I would suggest that it all stems from the FL1 and its well reported IRD problems, the FL2 being a totally different design and much less susceptible to this issue. That said its always best to keep tyres of similar age and wear together. I'd agree with above advice, trying to keep tyres within about 2mm of tread wear of each other is sensible, with luck your 6500 miles will not have taken more than this off what a new tyre had and one new same tyre may well be within these limits.
Best news (for your wallet) naturally would be that the original is repairable! Let us know how you get on. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #383467 30th Dec 2019 8:28 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Last year while on holiday I destroyed 1 tyre & had 3 more punctures. None through the side wall luckily. Repaired with ARB puncture repair kit.

Also repaired a tyre on another car with 3 plugs in one hole. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383468 30th Dec 2019 8:44 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My old BMW didnt have a spare only awful run flats. When they wore out I changed to normal tyres and bought a Dynaplug kit.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

I got to use it several times - very successfully Jules

Post #383473 30th Dec 2019 9:48 pm
Mummylula

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all your help.

Bad day indeed a bad end to the year. The screw is too close to the side wall for a safe repair. It's not worth any risk.

A new tyre is on order and will be fitted Thursday. The tyre manager said as there was over 7mm tread left on the other rear tyre, he said its just like new, it will be ok to put the new tyre on the rear.

Fingers crossed for the next year that there won't be any big, unexpected expense.

Wishing all a Happy and successful New Year.

Mummylula

Post #383510 31st Dec 2019 12:59 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sounds like it will be fine there seems to be very little wear on the remaining tyres, when we bought our FL2 it drive fine at the dealers but on the motorway on the way home we got an awful droning/grumbling from the rear, I thought it was diff considering all the issues reported and was ready for a protracted debate with the dealer (which was now over 300 miles away!) but upon a cursory investigation by my local “dirty spanner” garage they concluded the diff and wheel bearing were fine and silent on the ramp, the rear tyres were Wranglers and really quite worn, much more so than the front Pirellis, but me being me likes to have good tyres on a vehicle, so,a new set of Michelin was fitted and the noise disappeared completely and the vehicle has stayed silent so far, after reading a lot of posts in several forums I concluded the FL2 is VERY picky with tyres/wear/matching.

Amuses me occasionally when people say they would never buy a part worn tyre, then are happy to drive on a set of tyres on a secondhand vehicle they know nothing of the history of......hey ho. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383515 31st Dec 2019 1:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1