« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Fireworks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
Fireworks

Just reading about petition to cancel Sydney New Year fireworks and was wondering what our Australian friends think?

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #383386 29th Dec 2019 9:40 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Maybe we should do the same in London, there is no mention of air pollution or harm to the environment that night with fireworks Whistle

Post #383387 29th Dec 2019 10:11 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

They've cancelled the fireworks celebrations where my daughter lives (Sale, east of Melbourne). She was intending to go to Marlo on the Snowy River estuary for New Year, but tourists and holiday makers have been asked to leave the area as high winds, high temps and lightning is expected. Jules

Post #383391 29th Dec 2019 11:48 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Canberra fireworks have been cancelled because of a Fire Ban in the ACT.
Sydney is a very different proposition, and I'm in two minds.
Cancelling to show solidarity would just be silly - a bit of salve for city consciences. It won't save money, everything is already paid for and contracted out - I'd say there are significant penalty clauses.
Cancelling for that reason, therefore doesn't seem reasonable. Use it to entertain people like it is supposed to. Emergency Services have asked people not to travel to the south coast of New South Wales to avoid traffic congestion which hampers evacuations and services deployments. People are stuck here, give them a show. The amount of smoke generated by the fireworks is small potatoes in the grand scheme and doesn't have the toxic nature of the smoke produced by the bushfires that we've lived with for three months.
However temps are ramping up to NYE and it is bone dry. If there is a total fire ban across the State then the fireworks should be cancelled. There are many areas of bushland right around the harbour which are just waiting to explode. No reason the City Council and State Govt should be exempt just because they want it to go ahead ($$$$$$$). Of course the Govt leaders have said they will have a 'discussion' with the fire commissioner if he looks like issuing a fire ban. Try to guess the direction of that discussion. Thankfully the commissioner seems to be a good guy - his father was a volunteer bushfire brigade captain who was killed fighting a fire.

I'm guessing there will be no fire ban in Sydney on NYE.

My 2c. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #383392 29th Dec 2019 12:08 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Jack frost wrote:
Maybe we should do the same in London, there is no mention of air pollution or harm to the environment that night with fireworks Whistle

. . . . . . . and lock up all those who chose to let off fireworks at other times of the year for no good reason

Post #383398 29th Dec 2019 1:56 pm
Largered

........ what is a 'good reason' then ???

Post #383399 29th Dec 2019 2:02 pm
jules

The money for the Sydney bridge fireworks is already spent I imagine. So cancelling to show solidarity is a bit silly in my view. They could of course turn it into a massive fund raiser for the CFAs. Maybe a % of all NYE sales go to the CFAs.

But if the display presents a significant fire hazard itself or is preventing fire resources from being used elsewhere (by having to stand guard) then I'm afraid I think that in this staete of emergency it should be cancelled Jules

Post #383401 29th Dec 2019 2:14 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Largered wrote:

Annoying the neighbours? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383403 29th Dec 2019 3:54 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

One year it rained & they cancelled them. Hopefully it will rain, but it looks like we will end up with smoke on smoke.

Another issue is so many pets sh_t themselves with all the noise, & wild life, birds, small animals in all the National Parks & Reserves around the harbour are all stressed out as it is with lack of water, food & heat.

I haven't seen any birds wearing P2 face masks! Police have been putting a pair of P2 masks over horses' nostrils! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383408 29th Dec 2019 8:25 pm
JulesK

Thanks for some of the replies Rolling Eyes

Personally, I'd ban them FULL STOP!! Twisted Evil Censored things.

Anyways, stay safe down there Thumbs Up

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #383410 29th Dec 2019 10:23 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Boxbrownie wrote:
Largered wrote:

Annoying the neighbours? Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up what's the need to set off a couple of fireworks at some god-forsaken hour on a patch of grass opposite the local flats when most of the civilised community are in bed. Tossers

Post #383413 29th Dec 2019 10:32 pm
Lightwater

There is a bit of history to government funded fireworks in Australia. Surgeons were tied of fixing up all the horrific injuries each year. It was costing the health care system a small fortune, & the lifetime medical costs.

I know someone who lost an eye from fireworks.

No matter how much you spend on publicly funded fireworks it is cheaper than all the injuries you get from citizens doing their own fireworks. There are too many people put there where safety is the last thing on their list.

I suppose the question is do we still need fireworks for 2020? Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383421 30th Dec 2019 6:51 am
JulesK

Luckily out here in the sticks we don't get any but as for the old saying " money to burn " hmmmm. Rolling Eyes

Wooooosh hooray there goes another £20.

Rolling with laughter Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #383423 30th Dec 2019 8:44 am
jules

Lightwater wrote:
One year it rained & they cancelled them. Hopefully it will rain, but it looks like we will end up with smoke on smoke.

Another issue is so many pets sh_t themselves with all the noise, & wild life, birds, small animals in all the National Parks & Reserves around the harbour are all stressed out as it is with lack of water, food & heat.

I haven't seen any birds wearing P2 face masks! Police have been putting a pair of P2 masks over horses' nostrils!

https://twitter.com/Mr6feet/status/1211519...GHoGl0ydAY

Click image to enlarge

frightening sunset in East Gippsland Jules

Post #383452 30th Dec 2019 6:19 pm
Lightwater

Many years ago we were at the New Year's Eve Concert in the Sydney Opera House. The intermission was timed for the Sydney fireworks.

It was brilliant, while fireworks ash rained down like Pompeii (been there & at Herculaneum, even better) on the glass over the Opera House Foreshore Foyer we drank champagne & stuffed our faces, thoroughly enjoying ourselves with relatives from Europe.

My only complaint was slightly sore neck from looking up!

How times have changed. Now I am planning a car fire defence sprinkler system & radiating heat barrier shields! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #383495 31st Dec 2019 9:15 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>