Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Haldex not working correctly?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RobbieL1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Haldex not working correctly?

Hi,

I had the Haldex and pump replaced with a reconditioned unit about 6 months ago because it wasn't working at all and I was getting the 'transmission fault - traction reduced' warning on the dash display. Ever since then the rear diff has been getting noisier and nosier - I assume because it wasn't connected before due to the broken haldex? Especially low speed manoeuvring, pulling away, or when at full lock. It also feels a bit jumpy/juddery. The fault on the display hasn't returned since however if I get the wheels to spin by putting my foot down on wet grass I can hear the Haldex pump kick in, it sounds like a compressor recharging, like it's trying to build pressure but can't? I was under the impression it should pressurise once to put power to the rear wheels and then depressurise again once it no longer detects wheel slip? Or should it be loudly pumping? Likely need a rebuild on the rear diff or replacement with a recon one?

Thanks

Post #383111 23rd Dec 2019 8:50 pm
Dan Freeler

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Check out Austen at Bell Engineering.co.uk He lives and breathes all things Haldex. I am sure other members will be along soon with the same or similar advice.

Post #383114 23rd Dec 2019 9:46 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Haldex not working correctly?

RobbieL1 wrote:
Hi,

I had the Haldex and pump replaced with a reconditioned unit about 6 months ago because it wasn't working at all and I was getting the 'transmission fault - traction reduced' warning on the dash display. Ever since then the rear diff has been getting noisier and nosier - I assume because it wasn't connected before due to the broken haldex? Especially low speed manoeuvring, pulling away, or when at full lock. It also feels a bit jumpy/juddery. The fault on the display hasn't returned since however if I get the wheels to spin by putting my foot down on wet grass I can hear the Haldex pump kick in, it sounds like a compressor recharging, like it's trying to build pressure but can't? I was under the impression it should pressurise once to put power to the rear wheels and then depressurise again once it no longer detects wheel slip? Or should it be loudly pumping? Likely need a rebuild on the rear diff or replacement with a recon one?

Thanks

Have you tried just unplugging the cable to the haldex. If you unplug it and your symptoms disappear (in particular the jerkiness when turning on full lock) then you probably have a haldex problem. You will get a temporary warning but nothing will be damaged by disconnecting the haldex. If nothing changes its probably the diff. My understanding is that when you unplug the haldex , the haldex pump stops, the haldex clutch fully disengages and the rear diff is then completely free from the main drive shaft. Some haldex issues prevent the haldex from disengaging when its pump is running which causes transmission windup and jerkiness particularly noticeable at low speed turning on full lock. Jules

Post #383125 24th Dec 2019 1:23 am
RobbieL1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Today I popped the fuse out for the haldex, had a drive about and all the symptoms have gone so suspect it is that, believe it's under warranty from where it was last replaced so will have to get that sorted after Christmas.

Post #383164 24th Dec 2019 6:36 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

yep - seems like a Haldex issue.

Hope you get it sorted easily.

If you dont then Bell Engineering is the place I'd go to if I couldnt sort it myself. Jules

Post #383169 24th Dec 2019 7:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1