Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Anyone know if version 2 of Disco Sport is improvement on ve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I genuinely believe that Land Rover are wedded to the Ignium engine, in time they will sort out the design weaknesses.
By all accounts the modified balance shafts/bearing kits do address the lack of lubrication, if not they have another year to roll out another modification or two!
I am sincerely hoping that the damage caused by running the engine HAS damaged the block, and as such I can get a nice new engine before the warranty runs out in two years.

It's a nice smooth engine, fuel efficient, with plenty of poke.
OK putting the timing chain at the flywheel end is plain stupid in my eyes, but transversely mounted as in the DS it would always have been an engine out job. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #383378 28th Dec 2019 8:32 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My take on this is as follows
1. Like most major manufacturers JLR will do the minimum development on the diesel variant of the Ingenium and if anything will probably push the petrol version given that many cities are likely to ban diesels anyway. Manufacturers such as Toyota, Honda, Porsche etc. have already stopped supplying diesels and are concentrating investments in electric.
2. A number of small suppliers making innovative components fir ICE (like electric turbos) have discovered that they can't get financial backers any longer as investment is going into battery and electric.
3. If the rear diff bearing or hesitation issues are anything to go by then I wouldn't expect much of a response
4. I will probably buy a DS next year but it won't be diesel. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #383388 29th Dec 2019 10:37 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

online hand book for new DS is already showing how to plug in charge cables etc so the phev must be near.

petrol engine is a peach, no complaints , mph is down obviously but not drastically, esp on short cold engine runs - school and back etc, where diesels are not efficient anyway. petrol fuel being mildly cheaper to buy also

Its just nice to be able to own a car without the huge amounts of complicated emmisions valves filters injectors additives blah blah .
saying that petrol DS does have a participate filter, but its a much small less technical thing, with less particulates to fry

Our family first choose diesel as they were the reliable option, compared to plugs points distributors etc, For my dad owning a mk1 golf diesel next to a rover sd1 meant he had atleast one car that would start most days. Diesel in those times was very prone to wax freezing. many farmhouses smelt of diesel due to the filters warming on the aga. So rover for cold days /golf for damp days. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #383393 29th Dec 2019 12:28 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

But, oh, the woeful performance, sophistication and black smoke of old school diesels! Shocked I’d probably rather push the SD1 Thumbs Up (still got a huge soft spot for those, even after having driven one for a while around 30 years ago!).

Post #383396 29th Dec 2019 12:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

For the vast majority of drivers in the UK battery power is a blind alley.
Most families have two or more cars but nowhere off street to park both.
Domestic supplies can’t handle one fast charger let alone two (or three in our case).
The grid system would fall flat on its face if 30% of us went battery.
Real world range with heating and air conditioning is still useless for anything above light shopping.
What on earth do the environmental loonies think is going to happen to millions of highly flammable (explosive) lithium batteries every few years?

The internal combustion engine is here for a long time yet- maybe not diesel, maybe at a constant speed charging a small battery. Hydrogen fuel cells work well, but stop/start reduces lifespan by 80%😳 , so again charging a battery.
Still begs the question what do you do with all the old batteries? Lead acid are easy to recycle but the power density is poor. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #383397 29th Dec 2019 1:34 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

our mk1 golf was nicked named the flintstones as it would possibly have been faster to kick the floors through and walk.
fuel saving were thre but it did seem to rattle a lot of exhausts to death, not cheap, mk2 did same rattle, infact at traffic lights the whole cassette player would walk out of the dash not just the cassette, also the wipers were set for a left hand drive , now thats penny pinching.

I was dating a lass from Leeds at the time, and her mum used to say Id arrived in my tractor again. one day driving home from Leeds the rad hose blew off shortly after that the head gasket predictably failed. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #383425 30th Dec 2019 9:22 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Go Beyond..............

Iain

Post #383433 30th Dec 2019 3:14 pm
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Off the point but I absolutely love that style of buildings in the background.

Post #383444 30th Dec 2019 4:35 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I see that Autocar magazine for Jan 8th 2020 will include a full road test of the updated LR Discovery Sport.

Also they have the following comment on last year's sales figures;

LAND ROVER
2018 Market Share 3.29%
2019 Market Share 3.34%
Land Rover is facing it's first ever sales flop: Discovery 5 sales have fallen by 43% over the past two years.
The real successor to the Discovery 4 may turn out to be the new Defender.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #383458 30th Dec 2019 7:16 pm
j77

Scotland 

The problem with the D5 is it’s marmite styling, loss of some practicalities of the previous model and the big killer, the price.

Back on topic.

LRO Magazine has just tried the new DS. I’m keen to try one as my gripes with it were harsh ride and nasty interior for a car in the DS price bracket. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #383477 30th Dec 2019 11:31 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

It seems the DS PHEV is due late 2020, after the Evoque PHEV.

Beyond the flagship Range Rover, the brand’s electrification roll-out with a wide range of plug-in hybrid models begins with the second-generation Evoque which will be powered by 1.5 litre three-cylinder Ingenium engine mated to an electric motor producing an estimated 108 hp. This driveline will then be adapted to the Discovery Sport PHEV, which is slated for debut shortly after the plug-in Evoque.
The nature of electric powertrains works for the character of the Range Rover, said Jaguar Land Rover vehicle line director Nick Collins. “On the road, the increased refinement and silent running of an electrified powertrain excites me. And off-road, you get peak torque at zero revs together with much more accurate control,” he told the magazine.

https://paultan.org/2019/12/05/next-range-...jaguar-xj/

Personally I would like to try the Vauxhall Grandland X Hybrid4, it looks about the right size and performance.

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/cars/grandland-x/hybrid4.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #383480 31st Dec 2019 12:28 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Three cylinder!!

Now the balance shafts make sense. The "old" 2.2 engine was hardly vibrating enough that you would notice, so why does the new Ignium need balance shafts - because it's a stretched three cylinder, the configuration of Beelzebub.

Worked on Forklifts for decades, space is lacking so why not stick a three cylinder in - because it will destroy every bearing, knacker the transmission and really really Censored the operator off.

P.S. had a 750 Bonneville back in the day, 70mph and the indicators would rotate, and your fillings fall out, parallel twin without balance shafts, now that's a configuration destined for history. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #383482 31st Dec 2019 12:38 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Once you add a balancer shaft to a 120 degree in-line three (to remove the “rocking couple”), it should be smoother / better balanced than any in-line 4.

I’m a big fan of triples, starting with narrow boat engines in the 80’s to 3 cylinder Triumphs for the last 25 years Thumbs Up

Post #383486 31st Dec 2019 1:33 am
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Is it a four ? Is it a twin ? No its a Speedtriple 1050 Thumbs Up 94 Disco 300 TDI Gone
96 Defender 300 TDI Gone...Should have kept it.
2003 Freelander ES TD4 Gone
2002 Defender TD5 Gone
2005 Freelander HSE TD4 Gone
2015 Freelander 2 Metropolis Keeping for now!

Post #383497 31st Dec 2019 10:22 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Vaguely remember from my "Theory of Machines" HND course back in the sixties that only 3,6,9 or 12 cylinders could be perfectly balanced. But there again I could be wrong. Whistle MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #383499 31st Dec 2019 10:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>