« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > What Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
moestr7v8

England 
What Tyres

Hi all I joined the forum this week and we take delivery of a59 reg Freelander 2 on Saturday, at the moment it has Pirelli Scorpion tyres fitted with about 3mm of tread,I have been looking at various brands and the info on here when I come to replace the pirelli's what is best replacements,stick to Pirelli's or what brand is the best to go for.
We will not be green laning but we live in a semi-rural area and as this is our first 4x4 I thought it wise to ask fellow owners their thoughts.
What are your thoughts on Avon ZX7 as Avon are made locally.
We have Continental Sport 5s on our two Volvo's
Any help will be gratefully received.
Cheers
Moe

Post #382979 20th Dec 2019 11:04 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Welcome Thumbs Up
My personal favourite brand is General Grabber.
I have their AT3 on my Freelander and GT (road biased tyre) on my wife's VW Tiguan.
I have also used their AT2 and AT tyres on my Discovery over many thousands of miles.
Great tyres at reasonable prices. Bow down Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #382980 20th Dec 2019 11:49 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Apart from the original standard Continental tyres, I like the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season.

As far as grip in normal circumstances is concerned, it is worth noting that Land Rover Experience Venues use the standard road tyres for the trips up and down the muddy tracks in the woods. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #382982 21st Dec 2019 12:31 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

My 59 plate came with the Scorpions and I found that they gave me nervous, unstable moments on fast cornering, so I didn’t keep them long. I run on Vredestein Quatracs, which I have always found to work very well in my situation. Most of my use is on wet, twisty, Highland roads, with seasonal need for a tyre that meets the “mountain and snowflake symbol” standards. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #382986 21st Dec 2019 8:33 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: What Tyres

moestr7v8 wrote:
Hi all I joined the forum this week and we take delivery of a59 reg Freelander 2 on Saturday, at the moment it has Pirelli Scorpion tyres fitted with about 3mm of tread,I have been looking at various brands and the info on here when I come to replace the pirelli's what is best replacements,stick to Pirelli's or what brand is the best to go for.
We will not be green laning but we live in a semi-rural area and as this is our first 4x4 I thought it wise to ask fellow owners their thoughts.
What are your thoughts on Avon ZX7 as Avon are made locally.
We have Continental Sport 5s on our two Volvo's
Any help will be gratefully received.
Cheers
Moe

Ask 10 Freelander owners "what's the best tyre"? and you'll get 10 different answers.

Tyres are very much horses for courses.

You say you have no intention of going off tarmac but live in a rural area where I presume roads are often poorly draining and often unsalted. Trying to be logical, I would go for a 100% road bias all-weather tyre with a wet weather A rating. In the UK we have a lot of wet weather, but not a lot of snow and ice in Wiltshire I expect.

The Avon ZX7 is a road bias tyre with good wet and dry grip, designed for the "performance SUV" (which the Freelander 2 is not). But its going to be poor in the cold and on ice or snow compared to an all-weather tyre.

But Avon dont do a SUV all-season (all-weather ) tyre. Jules

Post #383019 21st Dec 2019 9:34 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I've bought a lot of Avon tyres over many years and was looking forward to the ZX7 as, until then, Avon had completely missed out in the boom in 4x4 sales, making nothing to fit modern SUV wheel sizes. Such a disappointment when it turned out (as Moe pointed out) to be a road tyre, in a 4x4 size, with no off road, or low temperature, capability at all. There are so many better tyres around, although Avon are normally good value for money.

Just as damning, for someone wanting to buy a locally made tyre, it's been owned by the Americans for years now and they are in the process of closing down and shipping out all UK car tyre production. Only motorsport and motorcycle tyre production will remain.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/1...by-autumn/

Post #383021 21st Dec 2019 10:55 pm
Largered

Click image to enlarge

.... and the 11th answer is .... Insa Daka Turbo's ..........

Post #383025 22nd Dec 2019 12:07 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Going back to the original question, this is new:

https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyres/avon...mp;speed=K

Are any of these tyre sizes appropriate?

For a good all rounder, with really surprising occasional off road capabilities and excellent cold weather and snow grip (but without the poorer noise, fuel consumption and compromised wet weather handling of a more dedicated off road tyre), you can’t go far wrong with a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verdi All Seasons. They must be the “All Season” version though.

Post #383029 22nd Dec 2019 9:03 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

You will find that the FL2 with stock tyres that came fitted on the car out of the showroom ( Pirelli Scorpion’s ) is the perfect tyre for the car I have used them for light off road & snow without any problems & they are on offer at the moment with www.tyreleader.co.uk for £95 delivered to your door.

Post #383031 22nd Dec 2019 10:36 am
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Tigger wrote:
I've bought a lot of Avon tyres over many years and was looking forward to the ZX7 as, until then, Avon had completely missed out in the boom in 4x4 sales, making nothing to fit modern SUV wheel sizes. Such a disappointment when it turned out (as Moe pointed out) to be a road tyre, in a 4x4 size, with no off road, or low temperature, capability at all. There are so many better tyres around, although Avon are normally good value for money.

Just as damning, for someone wanting to buy a locally made tyre, it's been owned by the Americans for years now and they are in the process of closing down and shipping out all UK car tyre production. Only motorsport and motorcycle tyre production will remain.

I've been running ZX7s and must agree they are not to good on ice or snow but for all other conditions they are up there with the best. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #383039 22nd Dec 2019 2:09 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Tigger wrote:

Ive just checked - the Avon ZZ5 s I put on the Fiesta ST were "made in England". Shame that situation is not going to continue. Good tyre at an excellent price. Jules

Post #383045 22nd Dec 2019 4:25 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Agreed. I got through more Avon ZZ3’s, on my old V70’s, than I could shake a stick at Thumbs Up All excellent tyres, made in Melksham and at a decent price. All history now though Crying or Very sad

They’ll carry on being the fitment of choice on the Triumph Tiger though Thumbs Up

Post #383064 22nd Dec 2019 6:58 pm
moestr7v8

England 

Thanks everyone,very interesting information I did not realise there was such a choice I think I will be definitly be going for all season tyres when it's time to replace the present ones.
I do like the look of the Isa Daker tyres really chunkyand tough looking pity they are not available in 19" Very Happy
I agree for the Avons on the bikes I always fitted them when I was riding.
I think I will probably replace like for like with the Pirelli Scorpions though.
Cheers
Moe

Post #383071 22nd Dec 2019 7:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1