Home > General > Hi - Better MPG?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Geo

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Hi - Better MPG?

Hello,
This is my first post, but I have viewed several times, as there is some good free info. I resently became the prood owner of my TD4 Auto XS, having previously owned manual 200 Tdi & TD5 Discos. I'm really pleased with the performance, but driving very carefully I only get 28 mpg on my dailey commute to work (8 miles on country lanes), although I've had 33 mpg on a good run. Is this about right? I've checked my tyres and pressures are OK. Only 16k on clock, and it was serviced at 12k by LR (last July).
Has anybody tried using their Auto in manual mode to improve mpg? I think there might be a small improvement by shifting up early (but found need to be over 1500 rpm), changing down to gradually slow down instead of breaking and starting off in 2nd. Probably not best use of an auto (the wife only drives auto box now), but it gives me something to do. Does anybody have any more advice?
Thanks,
Geo

Post #38985 17th Mar 2009 9:28 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

hi geo

I believe by using the manual box like your doing your learning the cars auto box to how you like to have it change gear

Basically somebody who floors the car all the time will have a auto box that keeps it in gears longer etc etc

It might be worth resetting the gear boxes memory, ........ how.......... i can't remember Embarassed , but i am sure Tim in Scotland once posted how to do this Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #38987 17th Mar 2009 9:39 pm
edh

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
Re: Hi - Better MPG?

Geo wrote:
Hello,
This is my first post, but I have viewed several times, as there is some good free info. I resently became the prood owner of my TD4 Auto XS, having previously owned manual 200 Tdi & TD5 Discos. I'm really pleased with the performance, but driving very carefully I only get 28 mpg on my dailey commute to work (8 miles on country lanes), although I've had 33 mpg on a good run. Is this about right? I've checked my tyres and pressures are OK. Only 16k on clock, and it was serviced at 12k by LR (last July).
Has anybody tried using their Auto in manual mode to improve mpg? I think there might be a small improvement by shifting up early (but found need to be over 1500 rpm), changing down to gradually slow down instead of breaking and starting off in 2nd. Probably not best use of an auto (the wife only drives auto box now), but it gives me something to do. Does anybody have any more advice?
Thanks,
Geo

Hi Geo
I reckon you're not going to get a great deal better mpg with your auto. My TD4 manual only manages an average of around 30mpg so don't hold your breath. 08 Santorini Black HSE manual with DAB and privacy glass

Post #38988 17th Mar 2009 9:49 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

hi Geo,

I understand your logic forcing the change up as soon as the box will allow, but not sure about your changing down choice, I would always use the brakes to slow the car down then select suitable gear for the speed. All the time you are running on a trailing throttle the fuel should be shut off anyway; so would go for slowing down using accleration sense and stick with smooth well anticipated use of brakes. This is how i drive my manual car and I get good consistent mpg's. Unfortunately with the torque converter losses you'll always be at a disadvantage however much you try. Once you hit cruising speeds and the torque converter lock up engages you could get result much closer to a manual. Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #38998 18th Mar 2009 3:10 am
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

I started off getting 28 mpg out of my auto, but now I get a steady 31- 32 for shorter runs and it's doing about 36 for my 27 mile commute. As one of the earlier posts, the gear box takes time to get used to your style of driving. i don't bother with the manual changing, partly because it defeats the objest of getting an auto, and also if you change up around 1500 rpm, it makes the car really gutless. In any case, you dictate when you want the car the change gear by the throttle position. You also need to remember diesles take a while to get fully warmed up. I know the water temp warms up quickly on these cars, but I think they actually take about 15 miles to get fully up to operating temp. Diesels are renowned for being thristy when cold.

Apart from all that - hope you're enjoying the car - great choice of model by the way Thumbs Up Whistle Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #39001 18th Mar 2009 11:24 am
Geo

Thanks for replies. I think the Freelander is the best vehicle I had and the more I find out about it the more impressed I become. Wow an apadtive gearbox that adjust to the drivers style (I'd better hide the keys from the wife)! I'm now getting 30 mpg not sure if it's my manual style or the warmer Spring temps. Has anybody tried fitting a radiator blind to improve warm up & mpg in winter?
I tend to avoid using the brakes to slow down and prefer to use engine braking. I learned my roadcraft on a 4 stroke bike and give my front brake losts of care especially in slippery conditions. However, I do not get much engine braking in the auto cf a manual (reminds me of the first time I tried to use engine braking on a 2 stroke bike). I probably need to plan much further ahead to slow down (rapid change down for engine braking in my manual Disco was not too good for the clutch, especially with the caravan on).

Post #39019 19th Mar 2009 8:38 am
Hooky

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

On an 8 mile run you're barely going to get he engine up to operating temperature so you can't expect decent MPG when all you're doing is running cold for most of the journey.

Auto tip = you can easily trick the box to change up by accelerating just a tad more than you need to (not lead footing it) and back off to 'force' an up-change. Either that or go over to semi manual position as you are saying?

By the way, LR as saying keep between 2,000 and 3,000 revs for best economy. Also available in Clean.

Post #39075 19th Mar 2009 10:14 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Geo wrote:

Has anybody tried fitting a radiator blind to improve warm up & mpg in winter?

With modern vehicles this really should not make a difference. Decent thermostats and electric thermostatically controlled cooling fans mean that 'over cooling' should not happen. Coolant should only be circulated through the radiator once the engine has reached operatig temprature, so a radiator blind should not make any difference (on an FL2 or any modern vehicle) Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #39086 20th Mar 2009 8:12 am
Geo

Cruise Control Better MPG

My FL2 is my first Auto & first vehicle with cruise control. I've always thought cruise control would be a toy, but after playing with it I think it is usefull to get more MPG, as well as reducing risk of exceeding the speed limit. Acceleration & breaking is bad for MPG, so constant speed should help improve MPG. In a manual with instant throttle responce I always felt like I could back off the throttle to find the minimum postion to maintain a constant speed, but I can't get the same feel on my Auto (I can take my right foot off the pedal and it takes ages to respond & slow down). I think the car's 'black box' in cruise control has a better program to feel minimum throttle position than my brain and so improve the MPG. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me or my FL2?

Post #39336 25th Mar 2009 8:03 am
SL1000

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

My first auto and FL2 too and it doesn't seem to matter how I drive I get 26-27mpg. Car only done 900miles so far. My main journey is to / from work 15 to 20 miles each way with a mix of roads and traffic, I was a bit dissapointed given LR specify 37 combined.

But must say love the car apart from that..

Anybody ever got anyway near the quoted figures? FL2 09 XS, Automatic, Santorini Black,
Privacy Glass, 19" Alloys, Tailgate Spoiler, Side Step, Mudflaps, Electric Black Leather/ Alcantra Seats

Post #39459 27th Mar 2009 2:29 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Until run in a bit more your car will return poor fuel consumptions, will improve as the miles go on. my last 3 cars have all been the same At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #39462 27th Mar 2009 8:45 am
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

My dealer said that around 4000 miles my mpg should increase but it did not improve until around 8000+ Very Happy

Post #39486 27th Mar 2009 1:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

told me that lie too Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #39494 27th Mar 2009 1:38 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I think this is best achieved ever.
It is after driving (="braking") down from Mountain Etna from 2800meter over the ocean down to 1450. It is almost unbelievable.

LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Last edited by bjartin on 9th Jun 2009 6:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #42822 8th Jun 2009 7:05 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

Translated into English, I believe that is 471mpg at 25mph. Not bad Smile

- Dick

Post #42874 9th Jun 2009 12:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1