Home > Technical > Starting then cutting out😤
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rk79

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
Starting then cutting out😤

Hi everyone,

I have a freelander 2 hse auto td4, 2007 and has done 198000. We have been having problems for the past 3 weeks and have run out of ideas. We had issues in the past where it would start but then cut out 10 yards down the road, a quick lock/unlock and would start again with no problems. The other day it started, cut out and refused to start again. We took it to our local garage who run diagnostics and said it was the Camshaft sensor which was replaced, it still wouldn’t start so they replaced another sensor, sensor and still no luck. Further inspection showed that the throttle body had got stuck so a new one was replaced and it was all fine. When we went to collect the car after the weekend we were told that it was starting and then cutting out. Garage thinks it’s Immobiliser but can’t be convinced and got annoyed when we said we only had one key for it. Car was bought second hand and we only received one. Vehicle has been at the garage for 3 weeks now and they’ve finally said they’re giving up on it. I have mentioned to him time and time again that could it be the fuel pump or filter but he assured me that enough fuel is getting to the engine. Is there anything else that It could be before we either have to send it to the garage in the sky which would be so upsetting or far worse have to take it to land rover directly? Thanks in advance.

Post #381097 11th Nov 2019 4:49 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

When was the diesel filter last changed? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #381111 11th Nov 2019 8:24 pm
Rk79

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, it was replaced at the last service which was the end of last year.

Post #381114 11th Nov 2019 9:02 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

You need to take it to a garage which has the equipment to monitor the engine in real time, and knows how to use it.

The fact that the engine starts and runs, even if it then cuts out, indicates that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the engine. Even the fuel pump is working - it's mechanical and driven off the exhaust camshaft, so a problem with the fuel pump would mean no start at all. They say there's enough fuel getting to the engine - I wonder how they checked, as this does sound like a fuel problem.

Unfortunately there are many things on a modern engine which could cause this, which is why the solution is to take it to someone who can monitor the engine in real time and see exactly what happens when it cuts out. Alternatively, given that it does have the symptoms of a fuel flow problem, you could start by changing the fuel filter and bleeding the fuel system - a clogged filter could cause this. Although one can't rule out the immobiliser that's more likely to result in the engine not starting at all, so I'm not convinced that's where the problem is.

A good mechanic with the right equipment should pinpoint the problem in no time...

Post #381132 12th Nov 2019 11:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1