Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > iCarsoft LR V1.0 and ATF temperature?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

My Gap llBT can read ATF temp

Post #380680 1st Nov 2019 10:23 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Good to have confirmation that the GAP IID does read ATF temperature but it’s by no means an inexpensive option and is otherwise quite limited in what it can do on an FL2.

Post #380682 1st Nov 2019 11:22 pm
Simon J

One of the issues related to ensuring exactly the correct amount of fluid in the gearbox could be that the fluid temperature determines many aspects of the operation of the box via signals from the sensor to the Powertrain Control Module. If there is too much fluid then it perhaps doesn’t reach the correct temperature and thus the box doesn’t operate correctly. Likewise, too little fluid will overheat and also result in the box not operating correctly. Specifying a temperature at which the fluid level is checked ensures that exactly the correct amount of fluid is in the box and thus that the temperature signal sent to the PCM is based on an exact pre-determined set of parameters.

Post #380683 2nd Nov 2019 12:21 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

the bearmach hawkeye that I used when we had our FL2 could read transmission temperature Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #380687 2nd Nov 2019 8:47 am
alex_pescaru

Quote:
One of the issues related to ensuring exactly the correct amount of fluid in the gearbox could be that the fluid temperature determines many aspects of the operation of the box via signals from the sensor to the Powertrain Control Module.

The box's operation is controlled by the box's ECU (TCM), which is a separate ECU from the powertrain control module (PCM).
The box's temperature sensor information is used only by the transmission control module (TCM) in order to adapt the solenoids timing, for a smooth gear change. The box's oil temperature is no use for the PCM.
TCM uses from the PCM the information about the available torque and communicates back to the PCM the moment of gear change, in order for the PCM to reduce the timing advance, therefore reducing the generated torque, for a smooth gear change. This is about all information exchanged between these two ECUs.
Indeed, there is an indirect information sent by the TCM to the PCM about autobox fluid temperature, but it's only a flag that signals that the box's temperature was over 135C during more than 10 minutes in order to reduce torque generation to max 200Nm.

Quote:
If there is too much fluid then it perhaps doesn’t reach the correct temperature and thus the box doesn’t operate correctly. Likewise, too little fluid will overheat and also result in the box not operating correctly.

The autobox oil temperature is varying very quickly during loads and that oil's quantity difference play a very little role in the rise or fall of the oil's temperature.
For example, during the start of the movement, when towing a large trailer, the oil inside torque convertor could reach up to 350F (175C).

You worry too much about the level at specific oil temperature. The same box (with some minor specific differences) is used by LR, Volvo and VW among many others.
Imagine that LR says 60C, Volvo says 50C and VW says 40C. Figure that...
Just change oil immediately after the engine was at operating temperature, correctly verify level and way you go.

Post #380692 2nd Nov 2019 11:22 am
Simon J

Thanks, as always, Alex. If I could physically do the job myself, I’d do as you suggest but I have to farm it out so was simply looking for a simple and reliable way for the garage to check the gearbox oil temperature - hence my purchase of the iCarsoft as I had been assured by the supplier that it provided ATF temperature. But it doesn’t.

In the event the garage didn’t have time to do the gearbox so it will have to wait for a week or two.

Post #380693 2nd Nov 2019 11:44 am
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Simon J - can I ask who are you using for your work. Dealer or Indy. I would be interested in knowing a good Indy.

Post #380695 2nd Nov 2019 12:06 pm
Simon J

I’ll drop you a PM

Post #380696 2nd Nov 2019 12:07 pm
Simon J

ICarsoft have now provided me with updated firmware and I am now getting ATF temperature. Mindful of other devices which seem simply to use engine coolant temperature for ATF temperature I’ve done a few checks and the ATF is never the same as engine coolant. From a cold start at idle, engine coolant temperature rises slowly but steadily as you would expect but ATF temperature lags well behind it. After some miles in traffic today ATF temperature at 75 degrees was around 5 degrees lower than engine coolant with engine oil temperature being more or less the same as, but not identical to, engine coolant temperature.

So progress, but I’ll probably do a comparison using SDD (if I can find where ATF temperature data is!) just to reassure myself that the iCarsoft is reasonably accurate.

Post #381083 11th Nov 2019 3:25 pm
TXFireblade

United States 

is that a global update to the Icarsoft firmware or just something they sent you?

Post #381088 11th Nov 2019 3:47 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

That's good news. I'd be pretty confident that the transmission temp numbers the software upgrade from icarsoft are accurate from you description. Hopefully they have made the software upgrade available to everyone as well! Smile
Yes, transmission temps generally lag coolant quite a bit. I am hoping to try out the LR V2.0 late this week once I get some time to familiarize myself with the software, will post back if the transmission temp is available in that version's software.

Post #381089 11th Nov 2019 3:47 pm
Simon J

As far as I know, it’s not yet a global software update. I’ve raised a few other issues with them which they are following up on, namely that a lot of the data elements give a 'N/A' return. For example engine coolant temperature is listed under the gearbox data but returns N/A when queried. It is, however, available under engine data.

But it does seem to be a fairly decent bit of kit. It’s robustly made with a substantial cable connection to the OBD port so can withstand a few knocks in the workshop. While a Bluetooth OBD dongle connected to a phone or tablet is neat, I’d always be concerned about dropping something!

Post #381090 11th Nov 2019 4:01 pm
Gaza

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Barolo Black

Hi Simon,

My icarsoft V2 is giving a transmission fluid temp reading between 4.5 & 5.5 degrees. This after a 20min drive on three separate occasions. Any views on this? I suspect the temp sensor has failed?

Incidentally, I’ve drained and filled 4 times over two weeks to get the freshest oil in this auto box and anticipate I’ve got circa 7.5lts in there, it’s a lot smoother now.

Post #394561 22nd Jul 2020 10:05 pm
Simon J

I really couldn't offer any advice on this I'm afraid. But certainly 4-5 degrees is a bit low!

Mine worked fine once I got the software update (but they've never come back to me on the other issues I raised).

Post #394562 22nd Jul 2020 10:10 pm
Gaza

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Barolo Black

Thanks Simon.

I think the fluid temp sensor is located inside the auto gearbox, I’m hoping members could offer conformation on this and advice on method of change Very Happy

Post #394563 22nd Jul 2020 10:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>