« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > 9 hour detour Silver City hwy closed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White
9 hour detour Silver City hwy closed

When a road or bridge closes we have a small detour of 9 hours. Closed until further notice.

http://m.livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/Incident.aspx?id=40820

Emergency bridge repairs

Silver City Highway on Bunnerungee Bridge over Great Darling Anabranch (approximately 65km north of Wentworth)
Motorists should divert via Hay and Wilcannia using Sturt Hwy, Cobb Hwy and Barrier Hwy - this will add an extra nine hours to your journey.

Motorists choosing to travel via South Australia as an alternative should visit traffic.sa.gov.au for road conditions. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #380227 24th Oct 2019 8:59 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Makes a 20 minute hold-up on the M25 look a bit insignificant

Post #380231 24th Oct 2019 10:15 pm
Lightwater

We also have quarantine between & within States in this area. Depending on which direction you travel you need to eat all your fruit & vegetables before you get to an inspection station otherwise it is a hefty fine. So a double whammy!

These roads are surprisingly busy with freight so it's all going to add costs for the extra fuel, wages & trucks being tied up when they should be doing their next job. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #380232 24th Oct 2019 10:28 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

60 mile detour due to a road closure at Bridge of Orchy earlier this week. When in West Coast Scotland I never let the range drop below 100 miles. You never know when a road is going to be closed and the diversions can be lengthy, just not that lengthy.

Post #380238 25th Oct 2019 8:29 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Lightwater on Google maps looks like you can drive around or is the water flowing there now.

Post #380243 25th Oct 2019 10:05 am
Lightwater

You can't drive around. That would have been the previous dirt road & even if there is no water the rivers are very sandy. Non 'poodle' wheel terrain & sand tracks!

There is Anabranch Mail Road to the west, but it is dirt & these roads around here get very corrugated & a lot of people really do not want to travel on them. They are like a bar of soap when they get wet, then you get stuck to the floor pan.

They need rain but then all the dirt roads are closed as they get hacked to pieces.

maps.six.nsw.gov.au / Google map (further down Anabranch Mail Road)

A typical road open/closed sign. Others may be open/closed for trucks/4wd/car.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #380250 25th Oct 2019 12:25 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I haven't been on the site for a while, I sold the FL2 after 315k kms and 10 years. It did most of the tracks you've written so well about. I thought I'd give you a heads up warning about wet weather out there. Twice, several years apart, I was caught with mud that was so bad it solidified around the wheels and they would no longer turn. Yes, I'm a slow learner. Vesko and I were both stuck on the Strzelecki Track about 500 metres apart with our rear wheels stuck solid. I undid the wheel nuts and the wheel was stuck on the car, I couldn't get it off and had to spend an hour sitting in mud chipping mud that had virtually turned to cement. While we were stuck there, an Xtrail came along and got stuck as well. Meanwhile, utes and bigger 4wd's were dealing with it much better, not getting stuck at least. You have to be aware early or you risk stripping the pinion on the transfer case and permanently losing all drive to the rear wheels. After that, the dust was a welcome change, and yes, it certainly gets into everything. Safe travels mate.

Post #382287 5th Dec 2019 8:09 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Or you could make a DIY toll road like this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-28639196 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #382313 6th Dec 2019 10:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1