« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Front end clunk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue
Front end clunk

I've got a (sounds like) front end clunk when going over speed bumps, potholes etc at low speed. I'm suspecting the roll bar bushes or droplinks from previous threads. How easy is it to check if they are worn? Can you grab them and pull them and feel the play or do you need a prybar? Also do I need to take the skid plate off to check? Cheers!

Post #378332 15th Sep 2019 10:03 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Not unheard of for the engine mounts to slowly die, the one on the drivers side on mine crushed, looked fine until compared with a new one. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #378356 15th Sep 2019 11:34 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Check your front springs too - my car is in the garage right now having a broken spring replaced, and the only really noticeable symptom (apart from the loud bang when it actually snapped!) was a clunk over bumps and when steering close to full lock.

Post #378364 16th Sep 2019 10:17 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

The drop links you should be able to check by grabbing them and giving them a shake/pull/push to detect any play. You can access them from the inner wing by putting the steering on a full lock. You would need a prybar or big screwdriver to check the antiroll bar bushes unless they were visually split or worn. Unsure if you need to remove the splash shield as I now have a DS and just looking underneath it has a 2nd splash shield behind the main cross member that the Freelander doesn`t have!

Post #378369 16th Sep 2019 11:15 am
snappa

Cheers all. I've checked the droplinks and tried the roll bar with a big bar and all seems ok. Off to the garage methinks!

Post #378416 17th Sep 2019 6:46 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The fl2 front suspension can top out with a significant bang, especially going over speed ramps. They really should have put bump stops at full extension.

Post #378464 17th Sep 2019 10:03 pm
casper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
Droplink Noise and Replaced and cured

Just had my front droplink offside replaced by my local indi £30 labour although was a land rover part, I am a bit cautious with after market parts as some are good but some are really bad.

So the noise was at low speed over bumps or uneven road which sounded like a clonk with a bit of vibration which you could feel at the steering wheel a really annoying pain.
When I grabbed the link fully loaded with no jack or lift on the car you could feel a tiny bit of play but not much, but do not be deceived into thinking it is ok since when my Indi took it off he said it had a 4mm/5mm play in one of the joints it literally just dropped off.

I now have a quiet car Very Happy and a spare with new nuts if the nearside goes Confused Thumbs Up FL2 2008 150K
Owned From new - sad but just can't part with it
Upgraded LED Hal Front and Rear LED lights
Rear spoiler, facelift Tailgate handle, total surround sound
Steel boot and door treadplates
Upgraded dolby surround sound
chrome fog bezels

Post #378566 20th Sep 2019 12:02 pm
snappa

Cheers it's in Monday so will let you know. MOT too Big Cry

Post #378952 28th Sep 2019 10:24 am
snappa

Casper mine was almost exactly word for word the same as yours, seemed like very little play in the o/s droplink, mechanic said there was a load of play when he took it off. All good now and flew throguh the MOT Thumbs Up Very Happy Very Happy

Post #379104 1st Oct 2019 8:22 am
Bossen

Brazil 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Barolo Black
Noise from front, suspension or motor mount?

All, I bought our FL2 SD4, 2012, 70tkm.
we are very happy with it. After some time we found that when going over speeed bumps, then on the back of the bump ie.when the load on the suspension is released there was clunks from both sides. We went to to mechanic, he could not really find anything. Still we decided to replace all parts in both sides except for spring and roll bars.
It did not help a thing!
We learned to live with it but kept thinking what could be wrong!
Now, we have just been on a long offroad tour into some bad country, more than 1000 km on really bad dirt roads, 5000 km in total. On the way home we started having more noise and some vibrations from the front.
Quickly found out it was the lefthand rear motor support.
We replaced it and no more vibrations, and less clunks!
And the clunk now appear to only come from the right side.
So we looked into the upper right motor support, the one with the hydraulic "ball" and arm. But it appears to be ok, a bit worn but ok.
My question, have any of you had similar experience? Do you think it will help to either replace the arm or the hydraulic ball support, or both? Or is the clunk something we need to learn to live with.
I have seen some commenting on missing stops on the suspension, but that is pre 2012(2009?) is it not?
Now we can go over a very steep brazilian road bump at 10-15 km, and over a steep dirtroad bump at 50 km wiht out a clunk, but if we hit a small pothole even at 5 km we have the clunk.
I repeat it now only sems to be on the right hand side we have the problem and the clunk is only when the pressure on the suspension (motor mount too I guess)is released that we have the clunk, not when the suspension is compressed.
Any thoughts?

Post #402217 5th Jan 2021 8:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1