« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Windscreen.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Windscreen.

My windscreen got busted on the way home tonight, its got a long crack in it. It was replaced when I bought the car 2 years ago as the heating part did not work.

The genuine Land Rover one was replaced under warranty from the garage I bought it from with a non Land Rover windscreen & although it heats it did not heat all over, had some lines in it that did not work. It was a few months before I found out about the non working bits so did not bother to try & get it replaced with one that works all over.

Now its broke again can I insist on a genuine Land Rover screen as I dont want another screen that only works in certain parts or am I at the mercy of the insurers & have to have what they say.

Post #378313 14th Sep 2019 4:27 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

If a screen is replaced with one that doesn't fully work whoever put it in should replace it with a properly working one.

Post #378318 14th Sep 2019 6:22 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

This could be more of a legal problem and it depends on how cantankerous you are prepared to be. As you say, the current insurance company will want to replace like for like. And you will have to pay extra for the upgrade to LR spec. Now you have a claim against the original supplier/dealer who replaced it under warranty for the extra/over cost of returning it to LR spec. But what are the terms of the warranty? If you can prove that the original replacement was not fit for purpose and a breach of the warranty, then you're onto a winner. Pursue the action through the Small Claims Court online. It could mean a court cost greater than the upgrade cost, but if you,re sure of your facts, you will win the case plus your costs. You have a statutory maximum period to bring a civil case of six years.

Post #378321 14th Sep 2019 7:41 pm
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

This could be more of a legal problem and it depends on how cantankerous you are prepared to be. As you say, the current insurance company will want to replace like for like. And you will have to pay extra for the upgrade to LR spec. Now you have a claim against the original supplier/dealer who replaced it under warranty for the extra/over cost of returning it to LR spec. But what are the terms of the warranty? If you can prove that the original replacement was not fit for purpose and a breach of the warranty, then you're onto a winner. Pursue the action through the Small Claims Court online. It could mean a court cost greater than the upgrade cost, but if you,re sure of your facts, you will win the case plus your costs. You have a statutory maximum period to bring a civil case of six years.

Dont want all that hassle mate. Will have to call my insurers & then see what the windscreen company bring to fit my car. Colder weather is just round the corner so will leave it outside for a couple of hours on a damp or frosty night & see what happens.

If it dont all clear I will have to call them back to replace it again.

Post #378325 14th Sep 2019 11:14 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Your windscreen should be replaced with one that is the same, at least. It won't necessarily be genuine but it has to work, so you'll get a heated screen that heats all over. If it doesn't then you can argue. Maybe speak to the repairer, tell them you want genuine and even pay the difference? MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #378340 15th Sep 2019 1:48 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

I suppose if you had one fitted at the start of summer you wouldn't know the heating wasn't
working correctly until the weather got cold again. Confused
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #378341 15th Sep 2019 2:58 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

In my experience I believe you have nothing to worry about.
Just contact your insurance (some policies ask you to ring windscreen repairers direct), book your car in, pay the excess, and drive away with a fully working, warrantied, heated windscreen.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29356.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #378343 15th Sep 2019 3:57 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

If it goes the Autoglass (which it probably will) you should have no worries, if it is a heated screen then it will be replaced by the same - been there on a few occasions. MY13 HSE Lux Santorini Black
MY11 HSE Santorini Black Gone
MY08 SE Blue, Gone
Alfa Romeo GT Gone
Alfa Romeo 156 Space wagon Gone
Volvo V40 Gone
Volvo 480ES Gone
VW Sirocco GTX Gone

Post #378346 15th Sep 2019 5:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1