« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Drum bearings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Drum bearings

No not brake drums but washing machine drums. Has anyone come across this issue?
I know it's not FL2 related but we all like reading about bearings don't we? We have a Hoover washing machine and I noticed recently that it's got quite noisy on spin so I root around and sure enough the drum bearing are noisy. New bearing kits cost about £20. I look it up on Youtube and its a big job but if you have the time not that difficult and if you have ever owned a LandRover then perfectly within your capability Laughing . So I try to find the actual bearing on the usual spares sites on the web and eventually discovered that you can't get the bearings because you can't split the drum to take them out. The drum is welded shut and a new one costs more than a new machine.
Further research has shown that this is now becoming common practise and it's a form of built in obsolescence. Apparently Which? have started a campaign for what it's worth. You can't check when you buy one whether it has a splittable drum unless they allow you to take the top off. So it's not a £20 job now but a £300 job. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377293 23rd Aug 2019 10:08 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

When we made them in Merthyr they had split drum but when moved to cheaper manufacturing base ( cough cough ) they were sealed Rolling Eyes

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #377298 23rd Aug 2019 11:21 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I believe the only “split” drum (or repairable) nowadays are Miele, initial cost is a bit fruity though Shocked Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377321 23rd Aug 2019 7:03 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

My Mrs washes at least 4 times a day- not going to argue with her as I don’t want to be the one that does it. Hotpoint bearings usually lashed a couple of years, never 3. Cheaper to do the bearings myself rather than pay for the labour underground the garuntee if it’s a new drum, then hotpoint will be the loser as we will get at least one if not two new drums in the 5 years.

Our present machine is a samsung 6 years old and original brearings - two pumps have died though. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #377347 24th Aug 2019 1:05 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Buy a Miele. We bought ours roughly over ten years ago. At the time it came with a 10 year parts warranty. I reckoned that if they think it's good for ten then it should last for twenty - will just about see us out! Shocked Money well spent! It has never needed anything. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #377349 24th Aug 2019 1:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

One thing I have learned over the past three decades, where I have fixed the family's dishwashers and washing machines is that most of the internal components are made by the same suppliers so you might as well buy the cheapest. I recall replacing a failed dishwasher heater and discovering that the part would apparently fit 57 different different models ranging from expensive to cheap brands.

If anyone is interested.

https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/washing...bearings-2 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #377357 24th Aug 2019 5:52 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

dunkley201 wrote:
Buy a Miele. We bought ours roughly over ten years ago. At the time it came with a 10 year parts warranty. I reckoned that if they think it's good for ten then it should last for twenty - will just about see us out! Shocked Money well spent! It has never needed anything. Thumbs Up

Exactly my thinking. We still have 4 years left on our ten year warranty. Used to always have Hotpoints but I got fed up replacing bearings and motor brushes. Mind you, at nearly £1200 I could have bought a new cheap one every 2 or 3 years if I had to - we only use a couple of the programmes on it anyway!

Bought a cheap one for washing the overalls at work, less than £200. Large drum, takes 6 pairs of overalls. Lives outside with a tarp over it and has been going strong for nearly 9 years now with no problems. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #377360 24th Aug 2019 6:30 pm
dorsetfreelander

As an update on this story I have given up trying to do the washing machine bearing job. Fitting the bearings was the easy bit. Following the You Tube videos I carefully cut the welded drum open having drilled holes in readiness to put 20 stainless steel bolts around the perimeter. Having tried a number of times and with different sealants I can't get the thing completely watertight and have so far spent three days on the job. At least I can put it all in the back of the FL2 to take it to the recycling centre. Seems such an awful waste due to planned obsolescence. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #380429 28th Oct 2019 6:40 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Have you tried a yacht sealant, these are semi setting mastics, you coat the joint then partially tighten the bolts finally tighten 6- 12 hrs later depending on ambient temperature my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #380433 28th Oct 2019 6:56 pm
dorsetfreelander

Thanks for the advice but my wife has effectively been given the go ahead to buy a new machine and I dare not stand in her way now. Shocked

Edit : actually could you suggest a suitable sealant? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #380434 28th Oct 2019 7:00 pm
Dartman the one

England 

One of the Sikaflex family possibly 291 my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #380473 29th Oct 2019 4:52 am
athelstan

There is no need to buy a washing machine with inbuilt obsolescence from companies with fat cat owners living off the honest toil of others.

If you want a well engineered washing machine, from a manufacturer who treats its workers as “share holders” and not only designs but builds the product in England then take a look at:
Ebac Ltd
Ketton Way
Aycliffe Industrial Park
Newton Aycliffe, Eng DL5 6SQ

ebac.com

Their machines are both hot and cold fill with various load capacities and all backed by an excellent warranty and after sales service. Ask them a question: customer.services@ebac.com

Post #380475 29th Oct 2019 7:30 am
dorsetfreelander

I didn't expect this to become political but that aside I have just had a look on the Ebac web site and it states that the drums are welded so that's just as bad as the rest of the market even though they are claiming green credentials. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #380476 29th Oct 2019 9:13 am
Dartman the one

England 

The drum back is normally a generic part, bit like central heating boilers they are a mixture of generic parts cobbled together, normally the front panel is the special to model, bit like a LR the body is specific part as is the interior trim. Doubt if Ebac are any different, the cost of tooling to produce a non generic machine would be prohibitive. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #380477 29th Oct 2019 9:31 am
dorsetfreelander

As a final update to this saga my wife went an ordered a Samsung 8kg washing machine as I gave up splitting the tub on our welded Hoover. As soon as it arrived I took the top off to see inside and lo and behold it's got a bolted up tub. It came with a 5 year warranty too. The only thing is that by the time the warranty runs out I will probably be too old to take the thing apart so a bit academic really. Incidentally it looks a lot more solidly built than the Hoover we had last time and similar price. So if you want to be able to replace your bearings in the future Samsung is an option.

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #380808 5th Nov 2019 10:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>