« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Landrover taking the
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red
Landrover taking the

As some of you guys know I’ve ordered an XC90, just for a laugh I speced up a disco sport and a proper disco to the same spec as I’m getting in the Volvo. The disco sport came to £55k Rolling with laughter , a ridiculous amount of cash in my opinion for a wee car, then there’s the disco .... £67k Shocked .
Landrover wonder why they are loosing sales , charging ridiculous prices and service costs, my volvo is nowhere near these prices and I’ve take the 5yr service plan at £500 and minor damage repair for £400.
Granted the Volvo won’t be as good off road , but as long as it pulls my caravan off a wet field I’ll be happy. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #377100 20th Aug 2019 8:58 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

yeh they are pretty much taking the p155 these days, new costs across the range in comparison to other similar vehicles are beyond a joke IMO. Yes they will probably depreciate slower, and yes having an Evoque on the drive is more prestigious than having a Qashquai but not worth the difference in money terms.

not that i could currently afford a brand new LR, but i wouldnt buy one new anyway. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. They have definitely lost the plot as whilst they are luxurious cars the level of service and reliability is anything but high end quality.

have fun with the Volvo, really nice. You will have to let us know how you get on with tall the safety aids Thumbs Up

Post #377110 20th Aug 2019 11:01 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Almost certain to go for a XC60 when the time to change comes. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #377115 20th Aug 2019 12:34 pm
j77

Scotland 

I’ve looked at the XC90 nice car, I thought about one before I bought the D5 but Censored poor dealer and Censored poor residuals on the Volvo made the D5 a more attractive package. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #377116 20th Aug 2019 1:01 pm
Purplemadboy

tenet wrote:
Almost certain to go for a XC60 when the time to change comes.

It was the 60 I went to look at, what I found wrong with is that you don’t sit high enough like you do in the Freelander, when I jacked the drivers seat up I found the windscreen too low. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #377118 20th Aug 2019 1:07 pm
Purplemadboy

j77 wrote:
I’ve looked at the XC90 nice car, I thought about one before I bought the D5 but Censored poor dealer and Censored poor residuals on the Volvo made the D5 a more attractive package.

Seriously, poor dealers ? You do own a landrover don’t you? Also poor residual, landrover may look better trade in wise but there at least £10k too expensive in the first place. I’m only getting £14500 trade in on a 33k miles immaculate Freelander, I got more than that when I traded in a ford galaxy at the same time 5 yrs ago. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #377119 20th Aug 2019 1:11 pm
j77

Scotland 

I did say poor dealer not dealers, not saying all are bad.

My dealer fought my corner over a £6k headlight warranty claim. Can’t fault my dealer

Barnets of Dundee couldn’t careless when I was in. I guess that’s why they no longer have the franchise. Things could’ve been different as I was ready to jump ship.

I should add Volvo would be the only manufacturer I would move to, the seats on the XC90 are super comfy. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #377122 20th Aug 2019 1:27 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

RogB wrote:
not that i could currently afford a brand new LR, but i wouldnt buy one new anyway. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. They have definitely lost the plot as whilst they are luxurious cars the level of service and reliability is anything but high end quality........

The issue is LR are not interested in second owners - they sell new vehicles.
The dealers should be interested in second owners as they probably make as much profit from a two year old car as a brand new one, but I suspect the real cash cow is servicing / warranty work, again not too many second owners are going to get their cars serviced at the dealers once the warranty runs out.

The fly in the ointment being "once bitten twice shy", once you have been stuffed by LR why would you go back to buy another? ----- don't ask me I'm on my 5th, treated like dirt on the bottom of dealers shoe (for the 1s and 4th), and will probably buy another when this one dies. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #377156 20th Aug 2019 10:20 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

j77 wrote:
My dealer fought my corner over a £6k headlight warranty claim.

Shocked tell us more Jamie Whistle

Must have been an led headlight .... D5 or Velar... MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #377160 21st Aug 2019 4:08 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Volvo is one of the few that I’d even consider, especially with their superb seats Thumbs Up

The biggest downsides for me are the hopeless warranty (60,000 miles and that’s your lot) and there being no alternative for those that want more than a, sub 2.0 litre, four cylinder engine - discounting the hopeless “twin engine” variant.

The XC60 is a very handsome looking car, although I hadn’t realised it lacked any height Sad

Last edited by Tigger on 23rd Aug 2019 9:50 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #377161 21st Aug 2019 5:49 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

LR NUT wrote:
j77 wrote:
My dealer fought my corner over a £6k headlight warranty claim.

Shocked tell us more Jamie Whistle

Must have been an led headlight .... D5 or Velar...

seem to remember they are matrix LED on J77 Velar that had fogged over on the main housing IIRC. LR dragged their heels over whether they were covered or not under warranty.... on a 1 year old 50k car FFS!! Shocked Censored

Im now of the opinion that all warranties , especially ones that you have to buy separately like LR Extended, WD, or WW are just a waste of money as they will try anything to avoid paying out.

Post #377164 21st Aug 2019 6:56 am
j77

Scotland 

Both headlights, which are matrix LED, were cracking in exactly the same place. There’s a groove that runs along the base of the lights, and a crack formed along there on both sides. Dealer immediately said that’s not right and not consistent with the car being hit.

A long story short, months of LRCR and constant dealer visits for photos and car being viewed by an LR Technical Manager and even Valeo, the manufacturer, getting involved. LR warranty agreed it’s not right and would change the lights. The dealer was instructed to take photos of every step of the job and video it. Anything that LR thought would void the claim the dealer would foot the bill.

Just a few months ago the rear started to cracked, but this time LR paid out without question.

Other owners were noticing small cracks but weren’t going to there dealer to get it checked, I was the only one in all the countries that LR sell the Velar that issues with the headlights. Which I know isn’t true as the dealer found issues on all Velars they had at the time.

They now believe it’s because everything is so tightly fitted that it’s causing stress fractures. So I have a 18MY Velar with 19MY lights Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #377177 21st Aug 2019 9:13 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

[quote="Andy131"]

RogB wrote:

The issue is LR are not interested in second owners - they sell new vehicles.
The dealers should be interested in second owners as they probably make as much profit from a two year old car as a brand new one, but I suspect the real cash cow is servicing / warranty work, again not too many second owners are going to get their cars serviced at the dealers once the warranty runs out.

There was an article in Financial Times a few months ago about Pendragon who own a lot of car dealerships. The guy was saying that they make very little on a new car (it's mainly done by manufacturers bonuses for hitting sales targets) and that the real money was in second hand cars and servicing. As a result they were selling off a number of dealerships. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377178 21st Aug 2019 9:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1