« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Autoglass woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey
Autoglass woes

Took my Freelander in yesterday morning for a replacement windscreen after it developed a large crack while on holiday.
The fitter carried out a very thorough inspection of the whole car noting a couple of very small stone chips on his tablet before starting work.
My car is pretty immaculate but he explained that customers in the past have blamed them for damage which they were then liable for, fair enough I thought, professional outfit.
So went and had a coffee while they fitted it and came back couple of hours later, paid my excess and drove away.
Immediaely after doing so my drivers wing mirror flopped back against the door window. Opened the window thinking it had just been knocked a bit but found that it was flapping about and clearly not right.
Got out and went to look at it, The mirror head was just sitting in place on top of the arm, only connected by the electrical cables. Lifted the mirror head up slightly and discovered 2 broken pieces of plastic which seemed to be from a collar which had sat on the motor mechanism.
Drove straight back to Autoglass and spoke to my fitter and explained the problem
"I never noticed that" says he. I then showed him the broken pieces of plastic from inside the mirror head, "It never got hit in the workshop like " says he.
"Well it wasnt Censored broken when I brought it in" says I.
Asked if Autoglass were accepting responsibility for the damage and would replace the mirror. He said that he'd need to ring his manager, he went away for 5 minutes and came back saying I'd have to report it to customer services and gave me their number. He got me a roll of insulating tape with which I made a temporary repair to prevent the whole thing falling apartr.
When I got home I immediately phoned their customer services who asked me to email them pictures of the damage and said that someone would be in touch to inspect it.
I look forward to their response! Rolling Eyes Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #376185 3rd Aug 2019 8:03 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It’s a shame you could not have looked on the workshop floor for bits of plastic.......swept up now though Neutral Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #376190 3rd Aug 2019 8:46 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

That's a real pain in the r's.
On a slightly different note, but still on glass we had a couple of contractors here in June replacing a 7ft signpost. Asked "would you like me to move the car?" No thanks, you're not in the way, was the response. Went out later, rear window had been broken, bits of concrete and tarmac on the boot cover.
Spoke to council, contractors not our responsibility, refer directly to them. Did so, sending in photos, and all sent on to their legal department/insurers. Been chasing them but all I'm getting is "we're awaiting a response from the contractors". Well if they're awaiting an admission of fault from the muppets that were responsible, I think we know where that's going.
I'm not after the whole replacement cost, just the excess paid on my insurance, and new wiper blade, £115 ffs Banging Head

Post #376191 3rd Aug 2019 8:51 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Me and better half were chatting about this the other day, not contractor or autoglass specifically but no one seems to give a toss about other folks well being of possessions in general these days... Sad really. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #376205 4th Aug 2019 9:32 am
ianfish

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Sorry to hear your problem. I have to say that I had my screen replaced last week at the Exeter Autoglass, and they were brilliant. The site itself was immaculate and the staff courteous and helpful. Very professional . MY 2013 SD GS Auto

Post #376207 4th Aug 2019 10:13 am
zanteboy01

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I'd be inclined to get details of (and contact) the CEO of Autoglass and make sure this is also on the radar of the CEO. Do they have CCTV in the workshop?

Post #376208 4th Aug 2019 11:49 am
Bobupndown

I'll await the response to my initial complaint and see how they intend to deal with it first before making big noises. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #376212 4th Aug 2019 1:15 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My wife had an issue with something from Morrison's supermarket and was getting nowhere with contact details for helplines etc. I decided to put something on Twitter @morrisons and got immediate response and a refund etc. Might be worth going down this route try @autoglass on Twitter or even Facebook as they don't like the adverse publicity. Looks like this is what you have to do these days. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #376221 4th Aug 2019 3:52 pm
Bobupndown

Well to my surprise I was contacted a few days later by their customer services who confirmed that they will cover the cost of the repair and asked me to get several quotes. The cheapest of the 2 main Landrover dealers estimates came in at £416 and they have authorised that work to be done and in fact are paying the dealer up front for the work once I get it booked in.
Pleased to have them sort it out without a drawn out dispute. Serious price for a door mirror though, and that a plain black plastic one, not a colour coded one! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #376541 9th Aug 2019 6:43 pm
zanteboy01

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Nice one! Very Happy

Post #376543 9th Aug 2019 6:54 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That’s good to hear they stepped up to the mark, well done Autoglass.......pity about the dopey fitter! Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #376544 9th Aug 2019 7:00 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Glad you sorted mate Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #376546 9th Aug 2019 8:03 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Sidthecat wrote:
That's a real pain in the r's.
On a slightly different note, but still on glass we had a couple of contractors here in June replacing a 7ft signpost. Asked "would you like me to move the car?" No thanks, you're not in the way, was the response. Went out later, rear window had been broken, bits of concrete and tarmac on the boot cover.
Spoke to council, contractors not our responsibility, refer directly to them. Did so, sending in photos, and all sent on to their legal department/insurers. Been chasing them but all I'm getting is "we're awaiting a response from the contractors". Well if they're awaiting an admission of fault from the muppets that were responsible, I think we know where that's going.
I'm not after the whole replacement cost, just the excess paid on my insurance, and new wiper blade, £115 ffs Banging Head

Contractors have finally instructed their Insurers to settle! Looking at paperwork, incident was in fact in April, so I guess 6 months is par for the course.

Post #379608 10th Oct 2019 11:32 am
V40TC

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

They are horrendous (well the ones I have experienced are)
they broke various clips on a subaru I had and used sealant to hold them in place
I found this before leaving the depot.

tried to install a screen in a Hymer we had more than 5 screens later
various leaks p poor fitment.

only after complaining on review site on line did they do anything about it.

Never ever let them near your car without you standing next to them and watching.

Post #379625 10th Oct 2019 3:41 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Seems to be the luck of the draw with who does the job. I've had three screens fitted by them, and never a problem, 1 bmw 3, 1 freelander1 and 1 freelander2.

Post #379633 10th Oct 2019 7:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>