Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Whaley Bridge dam and evacuation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

DorsetFL.....thatโ€™s unofficial, but yes most firemen/women (I suppose I have to say that Wink ) tend to pick up personal belongings providing of course its safe to do so, my neighbours Son is a fireman and he has said exactly the same to me when I have mentioned the huge personal loss in a fire of things that cannot be replaced. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #376180 3rd Aug 2019 6:15 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

It must be sheer hell to be in a situation like that JulesK. I once had a job where we cleaned up flood damage on behalf of an insurance company. Not a nice thing to deal with going through personal belongings and totally devastating in some cases we went to.
However it never ceases to amaze me , the utter dingbats who appear on TV news who knowingly live on a flood plain ,stood in their front room wearing wellys ,while the armchair goes floating by, crying because they've lost their wedding photo album, passports, family portraits, important documents etc.
All items that any sane person living in the same area would keep upstairs. Shocked
"We were woken at 7am as it was running down the road, it was up to my ankles at 9am, but by 5pm it was waste deep." and you didn't think to take 5 minutes to put those items upstairs ?? "This is the third time it's happened in x amount of years." and they still haven't learned Thud
Unless, of course, it's for "insurance purposes".[/quote]

It's not always as simple as that. While some people do lack common sense and don't think about these sort of things there are many others, the old and infirm for example, who are unable to do so for many valid reasons. I know of an elderly lady who was not so fast on her feet or with her thinking tried to carry some things upstairs when flash flooding occured (flooding was previously unknow in that area). After two trips upstairs she was knackered and could do no more and the water was rising very quickly. She had to be rescued, it was a matter of life and death. Eventually she was able to return to her devastated home where so many possessions were just a soggy mess. Her greatest loss was the family Bible in which she kept family photographs of the deceased husband and her grown up children, who had emigrated to Australia, and her grandchildren. She used to look at the photos every day. The loss to her was so great that the shock of the loss caused her death. I would suggest that the vast majority of us on this forum are young(ish) and able in body and mind where it is easy to dismiss those who don't take what we would call common sense actions but not everybody is able to take those actions especially the elderly and those we should keep a neighbourly eye on.

J

Post #376202 4th Aug 2019 8:22 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

RealBeale, you right there mate,, You just try to make the best of it after a while like the Environment Agency telling my mam (78 at the time ) to put the armchairs and TV up on the sofa !!!

First thing she grabbed was Enoch ( my ferret ) two terriers and a Lurcher all in the bathroom Rolling with laughter The firemans face was a picture Rolling with laughter

Last time it happened the Censored cleaning crew had a very nice Solway zipper and record collection away Censored when I was away working which was worse I think, I'd rather be there.

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

๐Ÿ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #376203 4th Aug 2019 8:28 am
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I would suggest that the vast majority of us on this forum are young(ish) and able in body and mind where it is easy to dismiss those who don't take what we would call common sense actions but not everybody is able to take those actions especially the elderly and those we should keep a neighbourly eye on.

J[/quote]

I was not commenting on the elderly and infirm (because common sense tells me that they may lack capacity Rolling Eyes ).
The people I WAS commenting on, usually shown on the news in these situations, are between the ages of 30 -55, with full mental and physical capacity, but just seem to lack very basic common sense. Especially when they say they've been through it before !

Post #376210 4th Aug 2019 11:57 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Respectfully say you are lucky you got your health then !!

Didn't matter how many times it's happened you are never ready for it. Obviously warning seems lot better now than way back but those folk who refuse to leave should be Censored arrested, as if the dam goes some poor rescuer would be risking life for a Muppet. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

๐Ÿ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #376211 4th Aug 2019 12:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12