Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter/All season tyre preferences sought...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Leonidas1978

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Lago Grey
Winter/All season tyre preferences sought...

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster... and all that Censored .

I'm fairly positive that this question has been asked so many times that you all hate it. But... What winter/all season tyres do you all think are any good?

I have an '09 Freelander 2, had it for 7 years now and for 5 of them I've had Goodyear Wrangler HP's on it. At first I really liked them and didn't have any complaints. But then I moved home and had to drive down a gravel track and, over time, the tread on the tyres began to slice open at the edges, I can only assume from the terrain, turning the wheels on it over time etc. It's been playing on my mind for this upcoming winter and today I've been browsing online for a new set. I can get the Wranglers for basically the same price I paid for them years ago but... I'm put off them now.

So... Does anyone have any long-term positive (or negative) recommendations for tyre replacements? I've been looking at Pirelli scorpion verde's/p zeros, General Grabbers, Hankooks, Toyos and lots more. I need something for mainly road use but travelling to and from work on neglected British B-roads out in the sticks, on wet, flooded surfaces so I need something that's well behaved and easy to live with on the daily commute, but also something that I can be confident with if I need to use them in anger, which I have needed before in mud and ice.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Post #425291 15th Sep 2022 9:25 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Think you’ve pretty much summed it up in your first paragraph. If you use the search facility you’ll find endless threads on this very topic and there’s no one answer.

Post #425292 16th Sep 2022 6:31 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

BF Goodrich Urban terrain good on road quiet, very good off road snow/mud Etc plenty of Utube vids. 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #425293 16th Sep 2022 7:14 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Nokian Rotiivas on mine for the winter Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #425295 16th Sep 2022 8:08 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

General Grabber AT3, great hard wearing tyre. I put 48000 miles on my last set. Similar position to you living down a stony lane which takes its toll. Currently running my summer tyres which are Pirelli scorpion Verde but need a new set this year, considering GGs again but also like the look of Michelin latitude cross. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #425300 16th Sep 2022 9:07 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

What size wheels do you have? Some tyres available for some rims, not for others.

Also roughly how many miles a year do you do? While fuel economy is always a consideration, there's always a trade-off with different tyre types, prices etc against any nominal changes in economy.

I ran Falken Wildpeak A/T AT3WA on mine - they are a winter rated (TPMSF) all season All Terrain tyre capable of holding up well on gravel and mud and well suited to rural Dorset roads (I'm a DT2 postcode).

You lose a couple of MPG over a dedicated tarmac tyre, but they deal with potholes, mud, grass, gravel and they hold really well on tarmac (I've never found their limit, wet or dry, and I push the car hard at times). Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #425301 16th Sep 2022 9:10 am
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Falken Wildpeak for me here too.
I've done 30,000 miles on mine now and still have plenty of tread left - they're worn down to 4.8mm on average now.
Excellent roadholding wet or dry, and not failed in the muddy stuff so far - but nothing too serious.
Mine are 19"

Post #425303 16th Sep 2022 9:36 am
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I've just ordered a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T G015's for the wifes Disco Sport as it still had the original Wranglers on the rear at 54k. I managed to get them for just shy of £500 with a promo code on Black Circles for the 235/55/19's. Hopefully they'll be good for a few years as the Disco doesn't do much mileage now as it shares duties with my Focus.

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #425600 27th Sep 2022 8:34 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Written a few months ago;

Had Continental's cross contact as per original spec fitted in 2016; did 39,400 on deliberately downsized 17" wheels, across the whole of europe, alps, pyrenees, etc. Fantastic tyre, secure, smooth, stable. Changed them in 2019 for Pirelly all season; what a disaster. Thought there was something seriously wrong with alignment or steering mech,, had it checked three times. Car wandered all over the place with every change of road surface, potholes, white lines etc. I could even tell the sex of a dead bird! They failed MOT after 23,000 and changed back to Contis in May. What a staggering difference; the car is immediately back to it's stable, secure positive self with no wandering issues. Speak as you find by Continentals are now my default tyre.

Post #425634 29th Sep 2022 5:12 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

One thing to remember is that an All Terrain ( AT ) tyre performs a different duty to an All Season Tyre . In reality we have a lot of rain in this country and very little snow . For people who don’t use their cars off tarmac an All Terrain is probably not the best choice . An all season will have far superior wet weather performance in all aspects particularly braking . When it comes to Snow I found that the Subaru on All Season or the Fl2 on All Terrain were fine . Recent tests by Auto Car have put the Hankook All Season at the top of the pile They’ll be going on the Suzuki Swift shopping car next month . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #425635 29th Sep 2022 5:50 am
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

I like my Vredestein Quatrac Pro's I put on last winter. They were on promotion so got a good price. I used them in the snow and found them much better than the previous Wranglers. They cope well with wet too and didn't seem overly soft that day which hit 40 degrees in July. I will always have all seasons' on my cars from now on.
If you want to really study the options the tyre expert has recently posted his 2022 all season tyre tests as below:-

Post #425648 29th Sep 2022 6:28 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Nokian Weatherproof are good tyres but are essentially snow tyres made into all season ones, unlike many all weather tyres which are derived from summer tyres. Personally I think they are better in a colder climate as they have a history of cracking, although mine have few cracks compared to some examples Ive seen.

Also although the company is based in Finland, my Nokians were made in Russia. I won't be buying them again.

But my next tyres will be SUV all-season tyres, with A grade wet grip. Not seen much snow in the Midlands for years and have little need for chunky AT tyres. Jules

Post #425657 30th Sep 2022 1:45 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

@jules, yeah the Finnish Nokia/Nokian was an amazing winter tyre of old. I had the Hakka 10s (actually made in Finland) on a two door hatchback years ago and not even deep snow could stop it. An amazing tyre. The manufacturing in Russia really killed the brand IMO.
Edit: This lower quality many also have started after the name change from Nokia to Nokian.

Post #425661 30th Sep 2022 3:10 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I'll be buying a new set of shoes for the trusty Freelander next week. I'm shocked and dismayed at the silly price rises of certain tyres. My long term favourite General Grabber AT3 have rocketed in price, around £185 from a lot of suppliers. I can get them marginally cheaper mail order but then gotta pay for fitting etc. So think I have decided on Continental Cross Contact ATR (Continental own General Grabber) that I can buy for £123 each fitted and seem to get good reviews, unless I can find Michelin Latitude Cross for a similar price, will report back when decision made but I'm happier paying £500 for a set of tyres than £740, just glad they are so long lasting. (Friend has a Golf R and 4 (expensive) tyres is an annual service item on it!) Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #425665 30th Sep 2022 5:10 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I have been on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros for several years. They have a good wet road braking/grip performance and are quite quiet.

As anyone who has attended the LR Experience sessions will agree, you will be surprised how well All-Weather Tyres work on the FL2 (and any LR vehicle) in slippery conditions.
Worth noting is that tyres with lots of snipes in tread not only work well in the wet but also attract blocks of snow to aid traction in cold conditions.

My full reply is on page 3 of this thread.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic35056.ht...p;start=30 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #425678 1st Oct 2022 12:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>