« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Vibration after new tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SaintCD

United Kingdom 
Vibration after new tyres

Hi all, sorry I'm a long time lurker on the Freel2 forum ... always interested to read people's comments, taken a few good ideas for myself and always wondered what might be the issue that made me stick my neck above the parapet ! Well, here I am.

The first clue is a set of new tyres .... cross climate Bluearth Yokis having been a long time user of the Yoki W drives. So on the way home I notice a steering wheel wobble at about 60mph. Only small vibration but enough to jar you off ! I drop it back to tyre man under the assumption that I'd lost a weight on the way home. All rebalance, no better. Something more sinister ? Off to the garage for a ride on the ramp .... All is well but Mr Garage says "come take a look at these tyres chap .... they don't look round". Now his comments were based on the wheels slowly turning in mid air with a steel rule held close to the tread. Indeed they didn't look "round". So, back to Mr Tyre who agrees that he is not happy with one of the tyres, swaps it for a new one under warranty and sends it away "for testing" whatever that involves. Test result today says "All within tolerance".

But ..... I've still got the vibration ! Mr Tyre is saying "come back and I'll rebalance everything again" but I'm thinking that something must be wrong. I've used this tyre place many, many times over the years and they are well respected in the area. Surely they know how to balance a tyre ?

Any thoughts, anyone ? I feel a bit liberated writing for the first time.

Saint CD

Post #374598 4th Jul 2019 6:54 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The scientific method is to change one variable only and see the result. In your case you have changed the tyres so it has to be them if the problem wasn't there before. Second comment I would make is that I have never heard of these tyres which are presumably budget spec (anyone else on the forum used them?) and the problem might not be about how round it is but is the tyre of consistent uniform construction or are there thicker areas inside (ie quality control issue). If it was me I would only use a premium brand. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #374608 4th Jul 2019 9:16 pm
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Believe these are Yokohama. In between budget and premium at around £130 a corner. But never seen them on an FL2. More a Sports coupe tyre.

Post #374609 4th Jul 2019 9:25 pm
SaintCD

United Kingdom 

Thanks for replies so far.

These are the tyres from Yokohama. Definitely not budget but relatively new to the market.

http://www.yokohama.co.uk/Tyres/Car-Tyres/...duct)/AW21

Post #374617 5th Jul 2019 6:26 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White
Re: Vibration after new tyres

SaintCD wrote:
"All within tolerance".

Any thoughts, anyone ? I feel a bit liberated writing for the first time.

Saint CD

Ask to see ISO 4000-1:2015

If they say the tyres are within tolerance then they can show you the ISO standard so you can confirm it. Otherwise they can't say it is within tolerance.

As soon as someone says to me it is within standard I always ask to see the standard. If they don't have it they can get it!

Check the date the tyres were made. It is week/year 2718 (27th week in 2018) Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #374621 5th Jul 2019 7:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1