« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Alarm system issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rebel1

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Alarm system issues

Alarms should be disabled for a ferry crossing - how do I do that please? Locking with a single press of the key still sets part of the system, but I might be missing something. A related issue - I find a lot of random alarms (in the one click mode) and suspect the bonnet lid. Last evening I couldn't lock the car at all for a while, getting a brief blast on the horn every time I tried. After opening and closing every orifice a couple of times it eventually worked. Any wizard out there know how I might resolve this please?

Post #374546 4th Jul 2019 8:16 am
•Al2

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Sounds like your anti-theft alarm switch is on its way out, ours went a couple of months ago, here’s a link;
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12558.ht...net+switch

I might be completely wrong but doesn’t the passenger side manual door lock with the key blade stop the alarm?

Post #374579 4th Jul 2019 1:56 pm
Rebel1

This is most helpful, thanks. I had no idea how the bonnet activated the alarm (until now) but this looks and sounds like the culprit. I have not yet played with the manual door locking, my understanding that it was merely an emergency arrangement for any failure of the remote. Thanks again.

Post #374618 5th Jul 2019 7:30 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey
Re: Alarm system issues

Rebel1 wrote:
Alarms should be disabled for a ferry crossing - how do I do that please?

The FL2 alarm doesn't incorporate a motion sensor, so as long as your other problems are sorted it should not sound during a ferry crossing.

If you still want to disable it regardless there are a couple of ways of locking the car without setting the alarm. The first, already mentioned, is to use the mechanical lock on the passenger door. But even easier, open doors can be locked using the internal lock switch before closing and will then stay locked. Just be sure not to leave the keys inside! (N.B. This definitely works with the rear doors, but I don't think I've actually tried it with the fronts, so double-check they're locked before leaving the car.)

Post #374627 5th Jul 2019 11:09 am
Rebel1

Why can the handbook not tell us things like this? Thanks for this very helpful advice.

Post #374634 5th Jul 2019 12:46 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Re: Alarm system issues

pab wrote:
Rebel1 wrote:
Alarms should be disabled for a ferry crossing - how do I do that please?

The FL2 alarm doesn't incorporate a motion sensor, so as long as your other problems are sorted it should not sound during a ferry crossing.

If you still want to disable it regardless there are a couple of ways of locking the car without setting the alarm. The first, already mentioned, is to use the mechanical lock on the passenger door. But even easier, open doors can be locked using the internal lock switch before closing and will then stay locked. Just be sure not to leave the keys inside! (N.B. This definitely works with the rear doors, but I don't think I've actually tried it with the fronts, so double-check they're locked before leaving the car.)

In some markets the FL2 has a tilt sensor in it's alarm system. Although I have checked my (UK spec) TOPIx Vehicle Summary and it says just 'Perimeter/Volume Theft System'.

Quote Workshop Repair Manual---
Two levels of vehicle anti-theft alarm are available; perimeter mode monitors all opening panels and volumetric mode (if fitted) monitors the vehicle interior for intrusion and, in certain markets, it also incorporates a tilt sensor to monitor if the vehicle is being moved.

Earlier Thread

https://www.freel2.com/forum/post225551.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #374647 5th Jul 2019 5:50 pm
Rebel1

Followed the link to the Russian guy,s videos and saw just what I needed - how to bypass the switch altogether (as a temporary measure, of course), and it worked a treat at nil cost and about fifteen minutes fiddling. Many thanks to all who responded to my plea.

Post #374703 7th Jul 2019 8:59 am
Joedenise

England 

Do you have a link to the video

Post #374723 7th Jul 2019 8:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1