« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Back to 17"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Badger51

Australia 
Back to 17"

So, after owning the FL2 for five years & having fitted a set of HSE 18" wheels as soon as I got it, I decided to go back to the original 17" wheels. The 18" tyres still have plenty of life in them but the ones on the front are down to about 2mm above the wear bar, whereas the rears are about 5mm.
The 17" wheels had two wranglers that were worn down to the wear bars & two that had about 3mm left on them. Fitted the wheels to take it to the tyre shop & the tyre noise was as I expected, horrendous. The other thing that came to mind though, was that the steering was a lot lighter, that was quite a surprise as both sets were 235 width, I would not have expected the profile/diameter to have an effect on the way the steering felt.
Anyhow, it now has a set of shiny new Kumho Crugen KL33s fitted & ready for a relatively short road trip around central Queensland next month.
I got the Kumhos for $146 each, which I think is a good price.

Cheers,

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #373765 18th Jun 2019 9:28 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Hope you have a good holiday. With all the money you saved with the cheap tyres get TPMS if you haven't got it. It has saved me 3 new tyres in WA last year, we & truly paid for itself! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #373766 18th Jun 2019 9:53 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Guess what, I already ordered a cheapo set, not investing in an ARB set like yours Very Happy

Will be intersting to see hiw accurate it is. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #373770 19th Jun 2019 7:57 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have 2 electric gauges which are pretty much the same, the ARB dial on the air supply is conservative by about 2 PSI. So pumping up the tyres 2 PSI more than needed.

Someone we met again while pumping up tyres had a professional gauge which was calibrated which was basically the same as my electronic gauges.

You will be surprised how much the pressure changes over the day with the sun heating tyres on one side. Make sure they are screwed on carefully & no muck inside or you will get a very slow leak. Happened once to us.

Worth their weight in platinum! If you can catch a tyre early & plug it, it gives you a lot of piece of mind & more back up in remote areas. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #373777 19th Jun 2019 9:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1