« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > xenon lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
xenon lights

Does any body know how the automatic xenon lights work? I have the standard xenon with the winter pack which are not adaptive and they do not seem to adjust automatically. when on dipped beam on an uneven road surface they seem to remain fixed so i get other road users flashing me to lower my lights.

How can I tell if they are adjusting automatically?

Hope somebody can help, thanks. Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Last edited by PJW on 2nd Mar 2009 11:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #37913 2nd Mar 2009 6:04 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

my Audi lights used to do a little up down self check dance when first turned on, the best way to notice this is either to get someone else to turn them on as you watch or park close to a wall At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #37924 2nd Mar 2009 6:56 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

1)Give three or four fat ladies (sorry, works with fat guys as well...) a lift in the middle of the night. Let all of them jump in the back together and watch your light beam. You'll notice clearly if the adjustion works.

2) Even better: you have a towbar, at night - with lights on, ask CG if you might hook up his caravan.
Same observation to be made.

3) Best: combination of 1) and 2) Whistle

Post #37929 2nd Mar 2009 7:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I think I'm right in saying that all xenons have to have auto leveling, along with auto wash too. I'm not sure that the auto leveling works as quickly as you might expect though, it certainly wont react quick enough to iron out the movement of the car over bumps in the road. From what I've been told all xenons do the 'little dance' when first turned on, something to do with calibrating their adjustment (so I'm told)

Have just driven a Volvo with adaptive Xenons connected to the steering. Previously I would have said it was a novelty feature, having driven with them I have to admit they are bloody good, just a little choked to find they are part of a £1000 extras package !! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #37943 2nd Mar 2009 9:39 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

avtur wrote:
I think I'm right in saying that all xenons have to have auto leveling, along with auto wash too. I'm not sure that the auto leveling works as quickly as you might expect though, it certainly wont react quick enough to iron out the movement of the car over bumps in the road.

That's both right. Without a certain degree of damping the lights would dance up and down all the time as on bad roads the car level can change faster than the Xenon's adjusting system can handle.
Nevertheless, you see them shaking with a quite high frequency often - which is very annoying. Maybe that is not due to the leveling system but a consequence of the bulb suspension. (sorry, I'm not sure about the latter).

Post #37945 2nd Mar 2009 9:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PJW

Thanks all, never thought to check when I first turn them on. Had to change one of the xenon bulbs under warranty and had removed both headlights to check the bulb. Thought I had stopped the auto levelling from working somehow!

Could not see any motor adjust in the headlight or bulb fitting, Headlamp seems to be bolted down as does the xenon bulb.

How then does it adjust? Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #37953 2nd Mar 2009 11:42 pm
carvalho

Portugal 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi

My car (TD4 HSE) has xenon adaptative lights and they auto adjust upon start engine. They adjust vertically and horizontally.

Post #37957 3rd Mar 2009 1:51 am
avtur

PJW wrote:
Thanks all, never thought to check when I first turn them on. Had to change one of the xenon bulbs under warranty and had removed both headlights to check the bulb. Thought I had stopped the auto levelling from working somehow!

Could not see any motor adjust in the headlight or bulb fitting, Headlamp seems to be bolted down as does the xenon bulb.

How then does it adjust?

Don't know how reliable my source is but have been told the bulbs are moved within the headlamp housing. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #37979 3rd Mar 2009 2:34 pm
PJW

Thanks Avtur you may be correct, when I removed the Xenon bulb it had a large base unit connected to it, perhaps the adjustment is in there. Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #37980 3rd Mar 2009 2:40 pm
avtur

Here's another piece of Xenon information I found recently on a Volvo forum. I asked a question about life expectency of Xenons when used as DRL's (daytime running lights), I was told that the life expectancy is into several thousand hours which apparently is way in excess of normal halogen bulb expectancy.

Someone had written to a bulb manufacturer and complained about the relatively short life of a high output halogen (something like the Halfrauds Brilliance or Philips Nightbreakers?) and they were told that high output bulbs were no suited to use as DRL's. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #37984 3rd Mar 2009 2:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1