Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 10 year service - arrrrrggghh! (Diff, Haldex and PTU oil)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RT76

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
10 year service - arrrrrggghh! (Diff, Haldex and PTU oil)

Hi all,

Not even sure whether I have posted even once in here yet, although been a member for a while.

I am about to embark on the mammoth task of servicing the wife's 58 plate Freelander 2 HSE Auto with it's biggie. As part of this, I am changing oil and filter on the haldex, oil on the rear diff, oil on the Power Transfer Unit and the oil in the gearbox.

I've got the specs for the oils as given in the owners guide, but am thrown by the sheer number of oils that are put forward by websites like Eurocarparts and OpieOils.

I have read good things about Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75w-90, and intend to use this for the Haldex and the rear diff. Is it suitable for the Power Transfer Unit also? Can the same oil be used across the three? I guess I am just after some reassurance that I am right in assuming that this is the case, as the weight of each is 80w90 for the haldex and the PTU, and 75W90 for the diff.

So far, parts and oil are totting up to £470, although that includes 114 for braided hoses and 90 for the timing belt and water pump. Should save around 1,400 in labour charges from the costs that I have seen though, so here goes!

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Post #373052 4th Jun 2019 12:39 am
Badger51

Australia 

As far as I know & am concerned, I would not put any other oil in the Haldex than Volvo 31367940 or another known equivalent.

Plenty of posts on here about varous oils to use for the rest.

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #373053 4th Jun 2019 3:00 am
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

^ I agree... I know some on here have used same oil in rear diff and transfer box, but being in UK you'll have easy access to what LR says in the manual or known equivalents. I wouldn't risk it myself, but your call.

Just putting all of these bits together myself actually. Just from research on here:

Assuming you'd be Gen3 Haldex...
Haldex Oil: https://www.haldexparts.com/31367940-volvo-oil-for-awd.html
Haldex Filter: https://www.haldexparts.com/30787687-oil-filter-for-volvo.html
You'll probably want to do it properly and remove the Haldex, in which case, Haldex O Ring: LR002888

Rear Diff: 10quid for 1L of Castrol EPX 80W-90
PTU: BOT 118 PLUS 75W90 looks easy to get hold of in UK, although pricey for 1L. I can't get here, so I might have to go with a GL-5 spec equ.
Gearbox: JWS3309US spec.

Plus washers for any filler, drain, level bolts... Drill diff and put in magnetic plug while you're at it for next time?

Post #373054 4th Jun 2019 4:04 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I would go OE oil only
trouble with some factor sites is they just cross part numbers over and over and over again
buy cheap fit twice Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #373111 5th Jun 2019 2:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1