Home > Off Topic > Securing Your House
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

SouthamFL2 wrote:
6 X D-Cell Maglites make wonderful truncheons you know Thumbs Up

After all, a torch could legitimately be used to investigate a noise in the house somewhere after dark, couldn't it Officer? Laughing

Which is exactly why security personnel are told to hold a large maglite by the reflector end at head height with the body (battery section) of the torch next to your ear.......all nice and ready for a good swing at surprised scrots.

Although I must admit all ours were just 4x D cell type, and never use rechargeables, they are never as heavy as good old earth ruining use once and dump type. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372789 30th May 2019 7:56 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

JulesK wrote:
Been told to take the broken glass off my inner perimeter wall as someone could get hurt climbing over it !!!!!

Feking nanny state Censored but same as boxbrownie , keep a normal household item close to use in ** self defence** Confused

Now this " let them take the car" , a friend of a friend did this a good few years back but then he seemed to be getting done over every so often! So did the scum just think he was an easy touch and word gets around or is he just unlucky?

Broken glass has been a big no no for a long time.....mores the pity, but perfectly legal to embed barbed/razor wire along a wall, provided it is in plain sight.

Let them take the car, but make sure it has a good tracker fitted.......as long as they cannot find it they get the message, and mark the house as too difficult/dangerous. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372790 30th May 2019 8:03 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Tall rose bush & bougainvillea on structural lattice. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #372794 30th May 2019 8:20 am
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

A lot of climbing roses that you can buy have got some very nasty thorns on them, in fact my ex-police next door neighbour advised me a while back that growing a rose was permissible because it was a plant where as putting up wire/glass etc was not.

He also pointed out that a lot of rose growers had started to breed roses with larger thorns precisely for this reason, the trend before was to try to eliminate the thorns. MY13 HSE Lux Santorini Black
MY11 HSE Santorini Black Gone
MY08 SE Blue, Gone
Alfa Romeo GT Gone
Alfa Romeo 156 Space wagon Gone
Volvo V40 Gone
Volvo 480ES Gone
VW Sirocco GTX Gone

Post #372798 30th May 2019 9:43 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

There is only one thing more insidious than being a victim of crime and that is fear of crime
Security is always a trade off against quality of life - do you want to be a prisoner in your own home or live somewhere that looks and feels like a fortress?
For what they are worth here are some thoughts based on my experiences in a former life - i will focus on you and your property
The trick with security and to stop your self becoming REALLY paranoid about strange happenings is to have concentric rings of security - like ripples in a pond - if one is "triggered" then you should be curious if two then even more so and if all go off then you really have cause for concern.
Do you have a safe and somewhere to keep your keys (Faraday box)?
A dog is always a good deterrent and adds to your security alerts (even a rat on string Whistle )
Start by securing your doors and windows with keyed locks - can you see points of access? Can you and your valuables be seen from outside the property?
Are you inadvertently providing the means to climb over fences and up to other levels of your property - where are your sheds, bins and garden structures located - including trellis'?
An alarm is good for peace of mind but is only as good as how and when you use it - have zones you can activate and connect it to some sort of alert service whether that be to you or a security service is a matter of choice (and budget).
CCTV is a good visible deterrent but use it sparingly and subtly - work out the coverage you need and avoid the temptation to try and see everything - again it can be linked to your alarm or to alert you if there is unwanted activity out there.
Use quality equipment and decide do you want evidential quality images or merely those used for recognition?
Gravel paths and/or flowerbeds are useful to alert you to movement
Use well placed thorn bushes and spiky plants
Secure your driveway with gates
Use PIR motion activated security lighting to illuminate access and vulnerable points - a sudden light coming on can be a real deterrent - I have a sneaky strobe light guarding one blind spot on my property - it has the WOW effect when it goes off!
Finally get to know your neighbours and their routines and encourage them to do the same for you.
Hope you enjoy your new car Cool No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #372800 30th May 2019 10:13 am
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Get a Skoda instead of the Audi Whistle .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #372825 30th May 2019 5:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12