« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Utilising the pre threaded roof fixing points
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Utilising the pre threaded roof fixing points

This applies to those FL2 that DONT have the factory (or factory style) roof rails bolted into the pre determined fixing points on the roof.

I recently bought a set of Pre Alpina T trac roof bars for my FL2 (non pano roof)

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-racks-a...oof-rails-

so far they are proving good quality for the price, and reasonably quiet.

I wanted to fit an awning on the side for going away camping or just chilled days out in the dales or peaks so started looking at options and have purchased 2 of these in M6 size

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-M8-M10-M12-M...%7Ciid%3A1

Ive removed the plastic threaded plug from each of the rear fixing points on the roof and these ring nuts screw straight into the slots. It can be reverted back to standard with no damage as there is no modifications required to anything.

Ive then bought some telescopic poles and a cheap tarp/groundsheet again off ebay and can attached the tarp to the car at the rear ring bolt and the front roof bar (I may fit ring bolts to the front fixing points in the future)

so (fingers crossed as ive yet to put it all together) I now have a complete side awning set sup that weighs next to nothing and cost under £25

Pics to follow once ive trialled it all together as im still waiting for the tarp to come all the way from China.

Post #372351 21st May 2019 7:02 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I made a custom bracket to mount my awning on the Land Rover rail.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #372353 21st May 2019 7:19 am
RogB

I did want an ARB type awning that could bolt onto the roof bars/rack/rails but as I don't use it anywhere near as much as you for trips out I couldn't really justify the costs involved.

Mine will end up being the roof bars with either roof box or bike carriers and the awning kit is small enough to fit under the seats if needed.

The boot is taken up by the dog, which although he is only a medium size springer spaniel he does get bored on long journeys and I don't him chewing threw baggage or anything.

Post #372354 21st May 2019 7:25 am
ronp

Scotland 

Just a tip to anyone removing the trim to bolt anything down to the runners.
Always run a 'thread chaser' bolt down the threads.
This cleans the threads out and prevents bolts tightening up (and snapping) before fully tightened.

Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #372356 21st May 2019 8:13 am
RogB

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

the ring bolts ive linked to are only screwed in hand tight, and definitely not overtightened as they will only be required to hold a light tarp in my case. I trial fitted some M6 bolts loosely prior to buying the ring bolts as well which chased out the threads.

If I was planning on lashing anything heavy down or securing something solid into the threads I would take necessary precautions so as not to damage anything long term.

Post #372357 21st May 2019 8:18 am
Aly

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Sumatra Black

Lightwater wrote:
I made a custom bracket to mount my awning on the Land Rover rail.

Hey Lightwater - I'm a fellow Aussie whos also looking to put a awning on my FL2 '08. I read your previous post from 2018 - but to be honest.. this isn't a fine point of understanding for me.

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions.

I have this awning:
https://au.adventurekings.com/camping-and-...luded.html

I'm wondering if that's mountable with a similar setup? Would you use the same rails? I currently have no roof racks/rails.
I have an uncle whos an engineer and I think he makes things similar to that? he makes metal things anyway (yeah, I'm technical I know).

I figured I'd ask you as you know the FL2 and it's structure and capabilities already - hopefully can get him to make something up.

If you don't mind me asking either - roughly how much did this cost you to do?

Cheers.

Post #373629 16th Jun 2019 4:23 am
Lightwater

I hope you don't have the 2.5 metre length (along the car) awning. The maximum length along the car for an awning is about 2.0 metres as you need to mount the awning within X amount from each end. You can't push the awning any further to the rear or you will not be able to open the boot. So a 2.5 metre awning will stick too far forward for mounting. Attach a baby tarp off the side of the awning with 2 extra poles if you need more shade, that's what we do.

All the awnings have the same extrusion at the back but the ARB extrusion is heavier than others makes. I also like the plastic joins on the top of the 2 poles, a bit of flexibility.

I would use the same rails again, my only mistake was to get the copies & not the originals but I did get 4 original cross bars.

I would also replace the self tapper in the middle support, it is a joke. A bit of packing of the brackets into the ends of the extrusions is required. With these modifications the roof rails are far more solid.

If you decide to mount the awning the same way I will post all the dimensions. There are a few issues to be aware of so you don't bug_er things up & save time.

I buy all parts from UK & did got the roof racks when we had a good exchange rate. Whatever you do, do it properly, cutting corners will only be more expensive in the long run.

More info here:
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic31435.html?highlight=roof+rack Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #373633 16th Jun 2019 9:34 am
Aly

Thanks for the reply Lightwater.

I did get the 2.5 as the guy said "that should fit" - I only purchased it yesterday so I shall go back there and exchange it for the 2m one. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I'm happy to pay more and have it done right and last longer - no plans of getting rid of her anytime soon, the complete opposite actually. Only recently purchased it and it's completely bog standard - so I'm slowly working my way through upgrading and customising it.

If you'd be happy to post the information then that would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Post #373642 16th Jun 2019 4:25 pm
Lightwater

It's raining here, when I get a chance Ill get some more information for you. There is an issue with the bracket but a photo will be clearer.

I used 3 x 50 mm anodised aluminium flat bar (sold locally). M4 316 stainless Allen bolts with Nyloc nuts, 6 per bracket. All holes are tapped as well. To get into the tight spaces I use Stahlwille spanners as they are much thinner. You have to allow for the curve in the roof rail, I had to put a 3mm packer on the bracket as I slightly misjudged the clearance required. The bracket can't go right at the end of the extrusion as the brackets go into the extrusion. You can't put the cross bar on the rail where the bracket sits.

My first & fourth cross bars don't sit fully on the extrusion which they should, they are about a quarter off the end, but I needed this distance to fit everything on the roof. The roof rails are not actually that long.

Beware of the plastic cover plates coming off, fasten them down properly, this I believe is one of the issues with getting the cheaper rails, then cost more in the long run. When I bought the replacement cover set (originals) they are a bit different to the copies. The other issue is the paint comes off a bit on the copy rails & cross brace as I believe they have skimped on primer.

Post #373668 17th Jun 2019 1:26 am
Aly

Excellent - thank you so much for that!

Post #373669 17th Jun 2019 4:49 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

A few years ago I had a Vauxhall Signum. It had a novel (and excellent) method of attaching a roof rack.

It had flush fixings let into the roof either side and exposed by lifting small flap in the roof trim. The roof bar brackets then clamped onto to these with a pair of integral pincers and a lockable over the centre clamp.

Very neat, very quick, and very secure. I think something similar should be incorporated on all SUVs and similar 'Activity' cars.

PS I have still got the bars hanging on the wall of my garage, waiting for this brilliant idea to become the norm. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #373672 17th Jun 2019 8:06 am
Lightwater

The rear bracket with 3mm spacer, also 3 x 50 aluminium. Looking forward, the awning extrusion was a touch close to the rail so I added the spacer. The separate bolt in the awning slot is for an additional 3 x 20 stainless bracket to a bolt onto the fuel tank holder roof rack cross bar to stiffen up the awning mounting for corrugated roads. Maybe a bit overkill but I wasn't sure how good the two aluminium brackets would be.

Click image to enlarge

A bit awkward getting the spanner on the lower nut. The front bracket was really difficult putting on the lower nut so I ended up moving it a bit.
Click image to enlarge

Front bracket
Click image to enlarge

The two upper M4 bolts are counter sunk philips head facing the awning, they are to hold the bracket pieces firmly together. I added the piece of 3 x 20 stainless flat bar as a large washer as the awning bolt was further away from the fold in the aluminium. I used M4 bolts into the roof rail as you will not get anything larger in there. Because I used M4 which are a bit small I put 3 on each side of the rail. Smaller bolts & more of them spread loads. Make sure you get the spanner in there & carefully mark the position of the spanner as there is next to no leeway when holding a Nyloc nut.
Click image to enlarge

Our car & garage door have a height disagreement! So I had to keep the awning as low as possible. If you have more room push the awning up another 10mm. The back of the car is higher than the front so you may need to get the height at the two mounting points & calculate the height of the back end of the awning as it will be even higher.

Also note that towards the front of the car the roof rails are further apart, I can't remember the exact width but it is something like 40mm. You just need to measure XYZ directions before making anything.

I actually drew up a basic side elevation of my roof rack setup 1:1 scale to make sure it all fitted. Very glad I did as I found a couple of conflicts. Cheaper than rebuilding stuff!
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #373675 17th Jun 2019 9:50 am
Aly

Excellent! thank you for all that information and tips. Seeing my uncle tonight to go through all you have given. Again, much appreciated!Ill post the final results when it’s all done.

Post #373716 18th Jun 2019 8:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1