« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > LandRover (Brink 4249) towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MJTee

United Kingdom 
LandRover (Brink 4249) towbar

Hi all - may seem a daft question, but is it possible to fit one of these towbars to an FL2 without removing the rear bumper ??

Post #372166 17th May 2019 12:40 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Looking at the installation diagram on the Brink website I think you could but there are 2 bolts that attach to the horizontal crash bar behind the bumper.

The Witter R41AU was a similar design and you made an access holes in the bumper which were hidden by the reflector, it could be installed without taking the bumper off. Getting the nuts on was very awkward though- working behind the bumper you needed long narrow hands which I dont have Smile

Corrections made to above after checking my own Witter installation instructions. Jules

Post #372168 17th May 2019 1:03 pm
MJTee

United Kingdom 

I've found a pdf file for the installation of the towbar, which does show removal of the bumper - however, this may be just so that it is easy to make the necessary cut out in the bumper through which the central part of the bar protrudes. I think it may be easy enough to make the cut out with the bumper still fitted, and if so I'll give it a shot. Keep you posted !!

Post #372189 17th May 2019 9:26 pm
MJTee

United Kingdom 

Happy to say that it CAN be done !! Odd bit of levering and shoving needed now and again, but not too bad a job at all.Deep sockets needed for a couple of nuts/bolts. Going to tackle the electrickery tomorrow, then find someone to tell the ECU about it !!

Post #372225 18th May 2019 2:19 pm
MJTee

United Kingdom 

Oh, Censored !! Electrickery fitted, quite an easy job to do, all "plug and play" - except that on my 09 plate it then needs to be coded to the car. And that is where the problem starts. Contacted a local Indy - yes, no problem, bring it in. Quick trip over there, about ten minutes with Autologic plugged in, "there you go, all done".

Back home, connect up to the caravan - nothing. No lights, no indicators - and no silence from the rear parking sensors.

Rang 'em up, "come back and we'll sort it" - back I went, and they tried, and tried, and tried - without success

The problem is that every time the chap enabled the ttm, the car refused to start. And no-one seems to know why this should happen.

On the face of it, it would seem to be a problem with the ttm itself - thoughts are that it is either a faulty module, or that they are "one time only" programmable

I am rather reluctant to buy another wiring kit (genuine LandRover) or even just a ttm, until I am certain as to what the problem actually is.

Any and all (sensible) hints, tips and facts gratefully received !!

Almost forgot - another suggestion was that there may be a blown fuse somewhere - although the car runs perfectly at other times

Post #372590 25th May 2019 5:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1