« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Van driver on phone - Good response from the company
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Van driver on phone - Good response from the company

Driving down the A38 earlier today, I came across a van in the outside lane just sat there with nothing to overtake and it was drifting towards the line a bit and back again. So I went past on the inside and could see he was on his mobile phone Evil or Very Mad

The phone was in his right hand and he was just casually chatting away. As I got caught up in traffic ahead of the exit a few miles later, he was now alongside me so I dropped my window and gestured whilst saying get off your phone. He responded as expected by flipping the bird and carried on chatting away.

Of all the vehicles to do it in, why would you choose a company van with the numbers all over it? I found a convenient place to stop and duly phoned the company and the manager was livid. He said the vans have trackers so he knows who it was and that he should have been using the hands free kit fitted to all the vans. He also said that the guy is still in his probationary period with them and it was not looking good for him. Not the kind of person they want, tarnishing their company image.

Sounds like the buffoon's job could be on the line or more likely a final warning. I'm just pleased the company can intervene before this idiot wipes someone out with his driving. Better to inconvenience him than to wait for an inevitable accident. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #370912 26th Apr 2019 9:57 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Name & shame even if it causes you pain!

If these people's goal in life is to kill themselves in a single vehicle accident, Darwinian selection works at its best!

If there is a chance others will come off second best then I take issue! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 26th Apr 2019 11:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #370914 26th Apr 2019 11:00 pm
alex_pescaru

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone..."

Post #370915 26th Apr 2019 11:01 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I've never sinned from birth so I have a clear conscience, but them I'm not religious! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #370916 26th Apr 2019 11:07 pm
Bibendum

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

Its been my sad misfortune to dismiss a number of employees for similar indiscretions. We made no secret of what had happenned and the consequences but still they thought that they wouldnt be caught .... despite the 4" high phone numbers on the back Rolling Eyes

In some cases we then got reference requests ........ Laughing 2019 Discovery Sport Landmark in Corris Grey
2014 FL2 XS TD4 Manual - Gone at 93k miles - great car.

Post #370917 26th Apr 2019 11:26 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nice one Doc Thumbs Up

Post #370923 27th Apr 2019 7:23 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

It’s a high risk strategy playing at self appointed traffic policeman in this day and age. One day it will go wrong . There are no points for inducing a road rage incident . Remember the bloke who had a gesturing session with Kenneth Noye? he’s not posting about his exploits on the internet is he ! Who will be the buffoon if the next bloke you gesture at decides he’s had a bad day and he’s going to take it out on you with his fists

Ps you went past him on the inside ? Like Alex said .... Let him who.. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #370928 27th Apr 2019 8:54 am
j77

Scotland 

I’ve no problems hanging anyone who uses a mobile whilst driving. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #370930 27th Apr 2019 9:07 am
Brit plumber

United Kingdom 

This is what the RAC have to say about undertaking. It looks like you have reasonable excuse if the right lane of a motorway or dual carriage way is slower or blocked but not if it’s the middle lane and the right lane is clear.

What does the Highway Code say about undertaking?

The Highway Code advises drivers not to undertake – although it is not a punishable offence in itself.

It states: “Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake.”

The Code though, advises that it’s OK for a car to undertake in slow-moving traffic, if its lane is moving faster than a lane on the right. In these circumstances it’s deemed safer to undertake than to weave in and out of the traffic.

READ MORE: Driving offences and their punishments

The Code states: “In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right.

“In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.”

Post #370931 27th Apr 2019 9:14 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I’m with you Doc...... Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #370933 27th Apr 2019 9:37 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

alex_pescaru wrote:
"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone..."

Reminds me of the old joke. Jesus was walking down the road with Mary and Joseph and came across a crowd preparing to stone someone to death. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" says Jesus, whereupon a woman picks up a rock and hurls it at the victim. Jesus responds "Mother you do embarrass me at times". 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #370934 27th Apr 2019 9:42 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

MartynB wrote:
It’s a high risk strategy playing at self appointed traffic policeman in this day and age. One day it will go wrong . There are no points for inducing a road rage incident . Remember the bloke who had a gesturing session with Kenneth Noye? he’s not posting about his exploits on the internet is he ! Who will be the buffoon if the next bloke you gesture at decides he’s had a bad day and he’s going to take it out on you with his fists

Ps you went past him on the inside ? Like Alex said .... Let him who..

Legitimate undertaking as per the other post but yes I am fully aware of the risk. There’s always a chance of them following you in a bid for revenge. I assessed it as best I could so for example if it had been a large SUV full of what appeared to be Russian mafia, I wouldn’t have gambled Laughing

That being said, it works both ways. There’s a video on YouTube where a motorist (UK) remonstrated with some idiot in a Mondeo. Said idiot decided to overtake and slam the brakes on before getting out to beat the crap out of the guy who dared remonstrate with him. The idiot picked on the wrong person and got his ass handed to him.

Unfortunately, there is a mentality among some people that they can do what they like on the roads and nobody is allowed to challenge them. If they do, there will be consequences Rolling Eyes LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #370935 27th Apr 2019 9:59 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I was once in a traffic queue and a van with a trailer in tow rolled back into me. I was on a dual carriageway and not really able to stop and speak to the driver. On the back of the trailer was a sign "how am I driving" and a phone number so I called it and told them the registration number, what and where it had happened. They called me back with "But that vehicle is nowhere near you" . Turns out that the trailer was hooked up to the wrong van and that they had given a boll**ing to the wrong guy who had just noticed that his trailer was missing and was panicking as he thought it had come adrift somewhere. My only damage was a cracked number plate. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #370936 27th Apr 2019 10:14 am
Brit plumber

United Kingdom 

I don’t like the use of the words said in this video but the circumstances are amusing!

Post #370938 27th Apr 2019 10:28 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think the driver who only realised his trailer was missing when the company phoned him deserved a b0llocking as well! Shocked Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #370939 27th Apr 2019 10:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>