Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > roof rack fitting - bosses anyone?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
petefeet

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey
roof rack fitting - bosses anyone?

well the weld of the ebay broken roofrack went well but i just need a pair of 'bosses' to complete the parts I need to fit the thing. Anyone got any laying around or am i going to have to go to a main dealers and get all the other bits (that i don't need, - the plastics etc) instead...?

i tried ratatatata with a PM, but no reply thus far.

Has anyone got some spares?
thanks
pete

Post #91305 7th Feb 2011 11:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dunroof

Sorry, not the sort of thing you have laying about. Mind you, you did get it at a bargain price from memory.

Post #91307 8th Feb 2011 12:34 am
athelstan

What exactly do you mean by "Bossses"?

I have LR roof rack spare parts in the garage - if I have what you need you can have them for the cost of the P&P.

Post #91316 8th Feb 2011 7:51 am
petefeet

well looking at the fitting kit shown on page 1/12 of the instructions, the bosses are the x2 pieces that look like a slim nut with a thread on one end like a bolt and then a tube (maybe threaded) on the other. my guess is that these screw in to the roof and then are threaded themselves to take another bolt....

so look like a double ended bolt; with the nut in the middle.

all the other bits i have got (apart from bolts, but these are specced on the instructions)
thanks
pete

Post #91352 8th Feb 2011 7:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
athelstan

Okay, I'll take a look in my "parts bin" tomorrow and let you know.

Post #91358 8th Feb 2011 7:59 pm
athelstan

petefeet
Okay here's what I have:

1: I thought I may have had just a pair of spare "bosses" lying around but I do not Sad

2: However what I found is a complete new unused "metal fixtures" kit (i.e no plastics) for the LR FL2 Roof Rails that includes 2x Bosses, 4x Bolt Footing Plates, 2x M6x12 Bolts and 4x M6x38 Bolts and 4x M6x20 Bolts Smile

3: As this is a complete full kit I do not wish to split it up, but I would be willing to sell it for half price at GBPŁ26 plus P&P. Now I live in Switzerland and these metal fixings are not light; the Swiss postage charges alone are GBPŁ14 to the UK - so your total cost will be GBPŁ40 Rolling Eyes

4: You may therefore find that you could source just the two bosses that you need more cost effectively from your local LR dealer (or indeed the LR Roof Rail Full Parts Kit LR006610 [metals & plastics] cheaper) Idea

5: If you cannot source just the two bosses locally the new metal's kit as described above is here if you (or anyone else) wants it. Thumbs Up

Post #91390 9th Feb 2011 8:31 am
petefeet

go on then - i've looked around but can found nowt. how do you want to do this? paypal? if you pm me we can exchange emails etc
thanks
pete

Post #94015 3rd Mar 2011 11:05 am
athelstan

petefeet

Here's a picture of the full kit. Please confirm that it contains the two special "bosses" that you were specifically looking for.

Click image to enlarge

Subject to your confirmation I'll get a fixed price from the Swiss Postie re sending them to you. I'll not mark-up their charges for postage or packaging - that will be at cost price.

[/img]

Post #94107 4th Mar 2011 12:40 pm
petefeet

that looks to be just the job. Assuming those 'bosses' are threaded on the inside of the blank tube (and i'm assuming two of those bolts fit) then we have a result.

PM me when you have a final figure and i'll sort out some Ł's for you
thanks very much
pete

Post #94124 4th Mar 2011 2:59 pm
athelstan

Yes they are internally threaded and the associated bolts do fit Idea

Will not be able to get to Post Office until Monday now for a confirmation of P&P - back to you then via a PM.

Post #94157 4th Mar 2011 7:29 pm
athelstan

Now Sold.

Post #97329 1st Apr 2011 5:57 pm
petefeet

all done! thanks athelstan for the parts.

bit of a job to fit - one of the rails wasn't properly threaded for the cross bar so that had to come off and a decent thread cut in one hole. But all assembled now - under quite a bit of tension are they not?

And the plastic covers on the ends are a bit crap too; they seem to be held on by tucking one end under the rail and the other holds with just the one clip. Even where the clip is ok they don't really sit flat to the roof so since i'm afeared of losing the plastics looks like i'll be using clear silicon mastic to add some sticktion and then adding a couple of tie wraps to make sure they don't move....anyone else got any bright ideas? i did toy with the idea of drilling and screwing the covers to the rails but held off! it easy to get carried away with these things....
ta
pete

Post #98614 13th Apr 2011 9:39 am
athelstan

Pete
Re securing the black plastics (they do come off as reported by a few Freel2 members) I secured her Ladyship's with black outdoor builder's mastic as that is both colour codes with the LR rails to be almost invisible, and, is very weather resistant and fungi proof. Applied 18mths ago and has held fast ever since with no degradation.

ps: if you or anyone else loose the plastics contact me - there's a box of them in the garage.

Post #98626 13th Apr 2011 12:00 pm
Jimbobaroobob

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hello all

I have a similar problem and hoping you can help me please......
I’ve bought a set of rails second hand but they are missing these items

2x main front attaching spigots(top Middle of photo above, top LH of diagram above)
4x main attachment special large washers (middle of photo, bottom RH of diagram above)
1x M6 x 38 torx head bolt

Does anyone hold spares please as the whole fixing kit is ÂŁ70.

If anyone has bought an FL2 and the bars have been removed but the attaching spigots still on the roof I could buy?

If anyone has them and willing to send me detailed measurements or let me measure them so I can copy the spigots and washers I’d cover any costs.

Many thanks for any help you can offer Brgds
Jim
2007 FL2 TD4

Post #369558 2nd Apr 2019 9:03 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you can get the rest, I have two of the “stepped washers” (of which you need 4) which were left on my FL when I bought it from a removed rack, it’s not much but your welcome to them. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #370180 14th Apr 2019 11:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>