« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Ultra Low Emission Zone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Ultra Low Emission Zone

A warning for anyone that doesn't live in this neck of the woods, the London ULEZ charge comes into force on 8 April, 7 days a week! Censored

Post #368840 22nd Mar 2019 5:59 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

out of interest what happens if you already live there and have had the car for a few years? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #368843 22nd Mar 2019 6:36 pm
Sidthecat

Believe that if you already live in the zone and are registered for the existing congestion charge you're entitled to exemption from the new charge for a couple of years. The ULEZ charge is far more wide reaching in so far it's 24/7. No freebies for weekends so will hit anyone that would have otherwise driven in for theatres, events etc. And its levied daily, so if you drive into the zone for a night shift you'll get caught twice, going in one day, going home the next - existing congestion charge had times attached so it was possible to drive in and leave either side of the window without being hit.
Wtf businesses with delivery vehicles etc will do heaven above knows.
And the main generators of the emissions, buses and London cabs, will still be on the roads

Post #368847 22nd Mar 2019 8:21 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I think at present it only affects the existing congestion charge zone? It will ultimately be extended to the area within the N/S Circular. That WILL upset a few people!
Residents are exempted until October 2021: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low...his-page-0
"Historic vehicles" are also exempt, so if you have a pre-1973 Landie you can pollute as much as you like! (Although you'll still have to pay the congestion charge). Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #368849 22nd Mar 2019 10:03 pm
Sidthecat

I used to work just inside the congestion charge boundaries and on a night shift had to park up about a mile away waiting for the 'window' to lift before heading into work. I then moved to our other HQ in East London and am outside the present zone. If, as proposed, those boundaries are moved outwards then it'd be borderline, but I'd still be on the right side. However, if it then moves even farther east, I'll be on public transport and would struggle to get to work on time. So I suppose it's ultimately achieved its purpose, another filthy old diesel off the road and possibly someone looking for alternate employment Rolling with laughter

Post #368851 22nd Mar 2019 10:59 pm
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Can I assume this ULEZ applies to buses, lorries, coaches, rivercraft, helicopters, ambulances, fire engines, etc, etc, etc?

Or is it simply aimed at us defenceless private car users?

Post #368858 23rd Mar 2019 9:38 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Past master wrote:
I think at present it only affects the existing congestion charge zone? It will ultimately be extended to the area within the N/S Circular. That WILL upset a few people!
Residents are exempted until October 2021: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low...his-page-0
"Historic vehicles" are also exempt, so if you have a pre-1973 Landie you can pollute as much as you like! (Although you'll still have to pay the congestion charge).

The historic status has changed, its on a rolling program now for vehicles 40 years old onward, as long as its registered as historic. So my 73 stag now gets free RFL, doesn't need to be mot'd and is exempt from emissions requirements. My Wife also has a Blue Badge because of here illnesses so the Stag is listed as one of Her alternative car's and is congestion charge exempt.

Having said all that, we never take a car in to town anyway. When the Zone gets extended the ULEZ will only be about 3 1/2 miles from us so the FL won't be heading in that direction. I have a feeling though that before 2021 there will be a major rethink as the hardship it will impose on communities and business's will be too much too soon because as normal the only people who will suffer / be out of pocket will be ordinary working folk.

Just another point, London's Buses are not the polluters, (at annual test they have to qualify for a reduced pollution certificate "an RPC" over and above the MOT test requirement) having worked in that industry for 30 years, I know this as fact and of the stricter emissions levels they have had to meet for quite a few years now. Black cabs however have not yet been subject the same requirements but I'm sure it's coming their way. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #368859 23rd Mar 2019 9:59 am
Milothedog

Sidthecat wrote:
I used to work just inside the congestion charge boundaries and on a night shift had to park up about a mile away waiting for the 'window' to lift before heading into work. I then moved to our other HQ in East London and am outside the present zone. If, as proposed, those boundaries are moved outwards then it'd be borderline, but I'd still be on the right side. However, if it then moves even farther east, I'll be on public transport and would struggle to get to work on time. So I suppose it's ultimately achieved its purpose, another filthy old diesel off the road and possibly someone looking for alternate employment Rolling with laughter

Sid, won't you be in the new ULEZ when/if it comes in, in 2021 so your already stuffed and face having to change your car thanks to Mr Khan Rolling Eyes 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #368860 23rd Mar 2019 10:24 am
Sidthecat

Milo, I will indeed. I'm working just north of the Blackwall Tunnel so clear until 2021.
Tim, I work for the ambulance service and as far I'm aware we get caught as well; what's the world coming to? Since buses and black cabs are exempt, perhaps people should think about making their own way to hospital? But then again, they don't now, so why not stick with the free service Wink

Post #368863 23rd Mar 2019 10:41 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Although taxis are currently exempt, all new taxis have to be zero emission. They are tightening up on Uber cabs as well. The rules and exemptions are in the url I quoted above. Taxis already have a CO2 test - I know this because drivers have been getting round it for years by running on biodiesel for the test. Unfortunately, that does nothing for the NOx emissions.
I'd be surprised if the government/TFL row back on this. They may not care too much about pollution, "saving the planet" etc, but there has been a huge outcry about pollution levels in schools lowering pupils' intelligence, and there is at least one court case ongoing, and I don't think that's going to go away.
Not many private motorists drive in London. The real sufferers will be the tradesmen in their transit vans.
And there is anecdotal evidence that many of the tipper trucks, in particular, use Adblue cheat devices which are difficult to detect and can be removed for the MoT. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #368870 23rd Mar 2019 12:25 pm
Milothedog

In the early days of Boris being the mayor, he was facing a big fine from the EU for not hitting the targets that had been set for the air quality in certain parts of Central London. In a desperate bid to avoid the fine a plan was hatched for the roads around the monitoring stations to be sprayed late at night with a sticky solution which would trap airborne particles when they settled on the road surface. the same roads were they swept and washed early the following morning thus cleaning up the trapped particles. This, just, reduced the readings from the monitoring stations enough to avoid the impending fine.

I have a few more factual stories from working in the public transport sector of how he lied and cheated to achieve his election pledges but I suppose its normal for a politician Rolling with laughter

Now we have Citizen Khan doing the same thing. Closes police stations then moans about increased crime levels Rolling with laughter 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #368873 23rd Mar 2019 1:24 pm
Sidthecat

Apologies to the majority of the members here who wouldn't be affected by this but in today's Telegraph it says that since its inception on 25 October the ULEZ scheme has raked in revenue of around £600k a day (yes you read that correctly £600k a day) This equates to 45800 'older non-compliant' vehicles paying the daily £12.50 charge.
It doesn't however take account of fines for non-payment as there was a period of grace during the first month so eventually revenues will increase as there were on average 4300 vehicles daily being caught for non-payment. Fines for those would have generated around £350k daily.
By my reckoning if the revenues continued at that rate daily, for every day of the year, Khan is pulling in £219 million. There's been no mention yet how that money is being used. Khan has however told the Govt that certain of the London tube lines will have to be closed down without further monies being invested. You have to admire the man Rolling with laughter

Post #415843 11th Dec 2021 8:32 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

This was a good reminder - we have tickets to see Genesis on 25th March 2022 at the O2 and have arranged for parking at O2, so we will have to pay this charge as well.

. MY13 HSE Lux Santorini Black
MY11 HSE Santorini Black Gone
MY08 SE Blue, Gone
Alfa Romeo GT Gone
Alfa Romeo 156 Space wagon Gone
Volvo V40 Gone
Volvo 480ES Gone
VW Sirocco GTX Gone

Post #415859 12th Dec 2021 9:09 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Sidthecat wrote:
Apologies to the majority of the members here who wouldn't be affected by this but in today's Telegraph it says that since its inception on 25 October the ULEZ scheme has raked in revenue of around £600k a day (yes you read that correctly £600k a day) This equates to 45800 'older non-compliant' vehicles paying the daily £12.50 charge.
It doesn't however take account of fines for non-payment as there was a period of grace during the first month so eventually revenues will increase as there were on average 4300 vehicles daily being caught for non-payment. Fines for those would have generated around £350k daily.
By my reckoning if the revenues continued at that rate daily, for every day of the year, Khan is pulling in £219 million. There's been no mention yet how that money is being used. Khan has however told the Govt that certain of the London tube lines will have to be closed down without further monies being invested. You have to admire the man Rolling with laughter

No need for apologies, I think you will find this is not Khan but Government Policy, so it will come to all of us in the near future.

If they want us out of our oil burning cars, I wish that they would find a few more 'carrots' to tempt us, rather than all these 'sticks'. To me it all just looks like more 'Stealth Taxation' as the Government moves to balance the books.

https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones

Perhaps the money raised should go towards providing a cheap, viable, electric car charging infrastructure, instead of filling the gap of the decreasing council funds from general taxation. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #415863 12th Dec 2021 9:30 am
Sidthecat

No stopping King Khan who is now proposing that the existing ULEZ zones be expanded still further next year to include all London boroughs. If I’m still living here that’ll mean my 2013 Freelander has to go Big Cry to be replaced by a post-2006 petrol which under existing legislation and even at 16 years old would be deemed less polluting??

Post #419214 5th Mar 2022 1:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>