« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Warning to everyone - chest pains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Warning to everyone - chest pains

I am 73 and pretty fit for my age, I go cycling every day for a mile or two and I have a rowing machine. Three weeks ago whilst watching TV i suddenly felt a bit odd in my chest, this passed very quickly but I woke in the night hot and sweaty and not feeling OK. In the morning I rang the GP surgery and they immediately said go to A&E. Initlal tests on ECG were fine then one of the blood tests showed that I had had a heart attack. I was admitted immediately on friday and two days later on MOnday morning had an angiogram and some stents fitted. The whole process took about an hour. I now feel perfectly normal and back on the bike (actually fitter than before).
The reason for telling this tale is that the hospital said that I was one of the fittest patients they had seen for some time but that a lot of people dismiss chest pains as indigestion. I was lucky to catch it early. Be warned. Very Happy 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #419884 26th Mar 2022 7:57 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Thanks for warning & best wishes.

Other half has kidney disease. Always had a very good diet, actually don't have to change things a lot other than reduce potassium & phosphorus, leaching food where possible, unfortunately have to stop varios veggies like tomatoes, spinach, avocado & bananas etc.

Anyway, for many one seems to be ok before you realise, then it is dialysis, but it will happen at some stage, which we are trying our very best to delay. Kidney transplant won't happen, too old!

For one's next blood test get kidney function included. Some can change their diet to delay issues. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #419885 26th Mar 2022 8:21 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Re: Warning to everyone - chest pains

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I am 73 and pretty fit for my age, I go cycling every day for a mile or two and I have a rowing machine. Three weeks ago whilst watching TV i suddenly felt a bit odd in my chest, this passed very quickly but I woke in the night hot and sweaty and not feeling OK. In the morning I rang the GP surgery and they immediately said go to A&E. Initlal tests on ECG were fine then one of the blood tests showed that I had had a heart attack. I was admitted immediately on friday and two days later on MOnday morning had an angiogram and some stents fitted. The whole process took about an hour. I now feel perfectly normal and back on the bike (actually fitter than before).
The reason for telling this tale is that the hospital said that I was one of the fittest patients they had seen for some time but that a lot of people dismiss chest pains as indigestion. I was lucky to catch it early. Be warned. Very Happy

Similar experience myself back in 2011. I used to walk to a car share colleagues and was getting a niggling pain in the middle of my shoulders and put it down to carrying my small backpack over just the one shoulder. It was only evident on that short walk which was up a slight incline; no problems at all at any other time. Significant Other suggested I speak to GP who promptly sent me to cardiac department at local A&E. Stuck on a treadmill, diagnosed potential blockage so in for angiogram followed by angioplasty the week after. Fortunately only required the one stent. Been okay ever since although was warned there is potential for stent to need renewal at the 10 year mark (am now 6months over that point Laughing )
So as Dorset has said, don’t ignore any such niggles.
Now if all the other body parts were working as well Rolling with laughter

Post #419886 26th Mar 2022 9:48 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Failing memory... which body parts?

Be careful of treadmill tests. I knew someone who was being tested on a treadmill for above mentioned issues. After 2 hours with the paramedics working on him, he was turned off so to speak! He was a pretty fit person. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #419890 26th Mar 2022 11:41 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I’ve forgotten which body parts have failed or are failing. I can’t remember if my memory is one of them Wink

Post #419891 26th Mar 2022 11:45 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Dorset
Thanks for reminder.
Glad to hear positive outcome. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #419892 26th Mar 2022 11:57 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Over half a lifetime ago I called the Doctor to complain of chest pains. I was told to come in right away, was checked over and sent to hospital that very morning to have a test which fortunately proved clear so no problems at all.

Took the dog out for a walk that evening and realised it was the bloody dog pulling on the lead that caused the muscular pain. : Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #419894 27th Mar 2022 8:05 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

When I was seven years old my Father came into the bedroom and said to my Mother "Kath I still have those pains in the chest".

my mother replied "oh just go to bed" he did the following morning he was dead I will never forget that morming with me my Mother and Sister trying to wake him up. He was just 40 yrs old

be warned. 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #419898 27th Mar 2022 10:57 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Happy your feeling better than ever again, too many people put mild heart attacks down to indigestion and find out sometimes too late.

@Rommel…..cannot imagine how you could ever completely get over that memory, our next door neighbour was 42 and was driving his Son back from a medical school interview (the Son is now a Doctor and doing really well) along the M1 through some roadworks when the Son realised his Dad was looking down into his lap and drifting slightly out of lane, he thought his Dad was mucking around like normal, but the car careered through traffic cones and his Son pulled the handbrake on and held the steering wheel (clever lad, his Dad taught him that…go figure) when the Police arrived about five minutes later they said his Dad was dead, he had had a massive embolism and died immediately.

Ironically his Dad was super fit, and even had a web page called “running around the world” he was a keen runner and as he was a structural engineer building bridges all over the world, every trip/contract he had a complete medical for insurance and never showed up any abnormalities, which he did in fact have.

Us men are the very worst at recognising our weaknesses, whatever it is…..get it checked. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #419915 27th Mar 2022 8:10 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

5 years ago on a Sunday, decided to play under the FL2, got the ramps out of the garage and only made it half way to the car before I had to stop for a rest -WTF I can walk a mile carrying these let alone 50yds I must be unfit.

Come Wednesday I suggest tomorrow after tea we go for a walk - Gill thinks it's Christmas as she has been on my case for years about my lack of exercise. Thursday after tea, get coat on, and go up two flights of stairs, at the top I need a rest - dripping literally in sweat. Come down one flight of stairs and the chest pain drops me like a sack of spuds.
Gill rings for ambulance - I swear at her as I have been having these chest pains for weeks and I will be fine in 20 minutes. Ambulance crew turn up in 10 minutes, they aren't so sure that it's indigestion. Blue light to hospital and blood test. No idea what the enzyme is that they are looking for but a count of 20-30 is a sure sign that the heart has been "stressed". They are supposed to give you another one some time later as the count continues to rise for some time. Long story short mine was north of 500 and they didn't expect me to make the weekend.
Monday I had 5 bypasses put in, they couldn't get the stents in on Sunday as the arteries(?)were completely blocked.

They send you to a hospital gym for several weeks to get you back on your feet, half the 12 in my class were very athletic runners / fitness freaks the other half were either normallish or overweight like me.
My thinking was if that's the case being fit doesn't help, apparently though it does, because the people who don't make it don't get to the physio stage.

Now the bad news
They give you a spray of glyceryl trinitrate, if you get chest pains you spray it under your tongue and it opens the blood vessels making it easier for your heart - gives you an amazing headache.
Friday on my way to work, chest pains back, hot sweats and lost feeling in my hands. Pulled over and took the spray, 10ish minutes later feeling is back in my hands, chest pains has lessened - no headache. Needed it twice since. This is not going to end well, will ring surgery Monday. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #419923 27th Mar 2022 11:49 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Andy- I hope all is Ok when you see Doctor 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #419930 28th Mar 2022 8:00 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Andy

So sorry to hear about your dicky ticker. All the best

Post #419931 28th Mar 2022 8:40 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

All the best Andy…… Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #419933 28th Mar 2022 9:38 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

A bit more detail on my case. I walked into A&E and they tested blood pressure which was a bit high then gave me an ECG which was perfectly normal so they took a load of blood samples which also started coming back normal so the Dr said we think it's just a digestion problem so go home and if anything shows up in the rest of the tests we will let you know. I walked out and got in my wife's car and my phone rang with a message get back here asap. My isotroponin level was at 94 (should be around 14) so they did another sample and that came back at 105 so I was admitted immediately.
Funny thing is that my ECGs were showing normal and they did an ultrasound scan of the heart where they measured the efficiency of the pumping and was all normal. In my case it's Angina and it's hereditary and I did have a couple of arteries with narrowing which they fixed with stents. I haven't had to use the nitroglycerine spray thing and I feel fitter than before on my bike.
I saw the cardiac nurse for a checkup last week and all was OK but she did say that you see a lot of fit people like this because the unfit ones don't tend to make it. Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #419934 28th Mar 2022 9:52 am
Badger51

Australia 

Andy131 wrote:
5 years ago on a Sunday, decided to play under the FL2, got the ramps out of the garage and only made it half way to the car before I had to stop for a rest -WTF I can walk a mile carrying these let alone 50yds I must be unfit.

Come Wednesday I suggest tomorrow after tea we go for a walk - Gill thinks it's Christmas as she has been on my case for years about my lack of exercise. Thursday after tea, get coat on, and go up two flights of stairs, at the top I need a rest - dripping literally in sweat. Come down one flight of stairs and the chest pain drops me like a sack of spuds.
Gill rings for ambulance - I swear at her as I have been having these chest pains for weeks and I will be fine in 20 minutes. Ambulance crew turn up in 10 minutes, they aren't so sure that it's indigestion. Blue light to hospital and blood test. No idea what the enzyme is that they are looking for but a count of 20-30 is a sure sign that the heart has been "stressed". They are supposed to give you another one some time later as the count continues to rise for some time. Long story short mine was north of 500 and they didn't expect me to make the weekend.
Monday I had 5 bypasses put in, they couldn't get the stents in on Sunday as the arteries(?)were completely blocked.

They send you to a hospital gym for several weeks to get you back on your feet, half the 12 in my class were very athletic runners / fitness freaks the other half were either normallish or overweight like me.
My thinking was if that's the case being fit doesn't help, apparently though it does, because the people who don't make it don't get to the physio stage.

Now the bad news
They give you a spray of glyceryl trinitrate, if you get chest pains you spray it under your tongue and it opens the blood vessels making it easier for your heart - gives you an amazing headache.
Friday on my way to work, chest pains back, hot sweats and lost feeling in my hands. Pulled over and took the spray, 10ish minutes later feeling is back in my hands, chest pains has lessened - no headache. Needed it twice since. This is not going to end well, will ring surgery Monday.

Hope it all ends well Andy, going on what you have been through, I’d have thought A & E should have been your first stop though…

I suffered 3 heart attacks in a 28hr period just over 6yrs ago, culminating in a triple heart bypass. I never really had the physical strength to go back to work full time after that & retired about 18mths later. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #419935 28th Mar 2022 9:58 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>