« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > MoT Advisory on Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black
MoT Advisory on Tyres

I had new rear tyres (Pirelli Scorpion Verde) fitted by Kiwk Fit in May 2016, and last week at the MoT I was given advisories on both rear tyres for cracking, splitting and bulging. I have done 18,000 miles on them in 2 years and 8 months.

Does that seem reasonable, or do you think that I should pursue a warranty claim?

Post #365653 6th Feb 2019 8:38 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It sounds wrong to me they should do better than that. I got this from someone on here see when your tyres were made.

http://www.tyred.org.uk/decoder

Post #365654 6th Feb 2019 8:43 am
tim_roberts

Thanks for that, most useful.

Both my tyres show "1216" which I take to mean the end of March 2016, so they were effectively straight out of the factory when fitted in May.

I'm going to call in at Kwik Fit later today and ask their opinion.

However, I can't see any signs of splitting, cracking or bulging, and there is plenty of tread left. Maybe it's on the inside wall.

Post #365657 6th Feb 2019 9:17 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

In my opinion :They may make you an offer but you will be forced to buy new tyres and old casings returned for inspection and then they will deduct the 18,000 miles used off any settlement If they are not really dangerous I would be tempted to do say 25,000 miles (or before next Winter) in total and bin them but lets see what they say and please tell us. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #365667 6th Feb 2019 10:33 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I had the same trouble with a tyre from a set of brand new ones I purchased on my MGZT, about tow years ago inside wall started to crack, I noticed it when I was changing the oil and had the car on ramps, used my spare took the wheel with cracking tyre on back to the tyre place, he removed it sent it off to the manufacturer whom said yes a faulty tyre, it was replaced for FOC took about 3.5 weeks.

In your case they may say purchase a couple of tyres and send them off then refund you at a later date but for sure they should not crack or bulge in that short period of time, they have no other choice but to help you really.

Post #365671 6th Feb 2019 11:28 am
tim_roberts

Just back from Kwik Fit. The guy had a good look at the tyres and couldn't find anything more than a tiny hairline crack in between the treads. I think it was just a case of the MoT tester being over-zealous, and given that I'll have to replace them later this year anyway due to wear, I don't think it's worth making a big deal about it.

Whilst in Kwik Fit, I did hear a story from another customer who had an MoT failure on tyres that were only just over a year old. I think there is definitely an issue here, not just with Pirelli, and some modern tyres are not fit for purpose. Trading Standards need to get involved.

Post #365672 6th Feb 2019 11:30 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Yes well Kwik Fit not the best place for tyres in my opinion in fact not good for any product or service, maybe try another tyre place when it comes to change them. Always double check the DOT date even on new tyres as some can be a year apart even though they are fitted at the same time.

Hi uploaded the link back in 2018
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32463.html

Post #365689 6th Feb 2019 1:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1