« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > looking to buy a freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
deluser_qhf

looking to buy a freelander 2

Hello everybody!
At the moment we are considering buying a frelander 2 hse spec with the hst kit on it, i was just wondering if any one has had any problems with the freelander 2? we currently have an 03 freelander commercial with suits us with the 2 dogs, weve taken one for a test drive and was quite impressed with it. so back to the original question!!

Post #37178 15th Feb 2009 4:50 pm
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Zero problems with my HSE in 13K miles and 10 months! Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #37180 15th Feb 2009 5:29 pm
Toolking

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

Same for me - no problems in 15 months with my HSE. Thumbs Up He who dies with the most tools wins!

Post #37184 15th Feb 2009 7:54 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

GS Model for me not a single problem in 5 months best motor i have owned. Very Happy Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #37185 15th Feb 2009 8:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

GS model, 26 months old, 51+k miles, have had some niggles but never broken down. It is a terrific car to own and drive, still get the feelgood factor each time I get in. Best car I've ever had.

If you search around here you'll find that one or two of us have had problems with dealers, make sure the dealer you choose knows you're expecting first class service.

I'm sure you'll be delighted with an FL2. Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #37187 15th Feb 2009 8:40 pm
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Theres plenty of info on this if you do a bit of searching through the threads. It does involve a bit of time but its easier than starting a whole new thread on it.

Post #37189 15th Feb 2009 10:25 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The main problems are, a batch of fl2's left the factory with a ghastly grey coloured paint job Confused And some fl2's have a strange metal bar sticking out of the back with a metal ball on it????

Other than that no huge common problems have being reported on this site. many people have had a problem or two with their fl2 a few of them serious but its a mass produced car, problems can be expected, At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #37190 15th Feb 2009 10:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

as CG said, after his grey'ist comments Rolling Eyes

Lots of people have had a few niggles, some more than others, but remember forums are a place that attract people who may have had a simple problem or two, there are 1000's out there that haven't had a single problem and haven't had to look up answers on the net, other look up forums due to the passion for the LR brand and car they produce Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37192 15th Feb 2009 10:48 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

This is my dealers take on the FL2's reliability:

When BMW took over Landrover, they had the intention to steal the technology and destroy the brand. That's why the FL1 was a bad car. Their intention was to move the customers to the X3 and X5.

But a landrover owner is a strange breed. They don't buy their cars like other brand's customers. They are a very loyal group. Even if you sell them a bad car, they wont go away.

So BMW sold Landrover to Ford.

When Ford took it over, Landrover already had a bad rap but they wanted to make it a good brand again, which they did. It takes a lot of effort to turn the reputation around. The results are undisputable:

2007 FL2 SUV of the year.
2008 RR sport 4x4 of the year
2009 Range Rover 4x4 of the year (PS Discovery was 3th!)
The factory has had awards for their excelent work and abilities!

In my opinion, to turn around that bad rap, they are building far more better cars then any other brand and it shows:
Everytime I do research on another brand to compare to the FL2 I spend close to €10K to have the same features as the FL2.
If you look at the design and the impression it gives there is really no comparison.

Every which way you look, to me, the FL2 is always the premium choise, if you look at emotionaly, sensibly or financialy or even environmentaly!

By the way, it's the only car that gives me a smile on my face when driving it and that hasn't happened to me for a long looooooong time.

PS. The explanation from my dealers came 2 weeks AFTER I ordered the car, so it's no "sales technique" as he had nothing to gain to tell me this.

Post #37195 16th Feb 2009 9:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

If you go by the What Car? magazine rates as cars of the year, Disco3 has been their top choice big 4x4 for the last 5 years, Freelander 2 for the best small 4x4 since launch, now Disco3 has been superceded by the Volvo XC60 (which is hardly in the same league either for size or capability) but Freel2 is still in there even after 3 years at the top. Disco 3 is still their top choice used 4x4. Not bad for a company who, 10 years ago, we were being told that we shouldn't buy their products at all, and to be prepared for the worst if buying them 2nd hand! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #37199 16th Feb 2009 11:00 am
jbvox

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver

had a fl1 for about 3 and a half year, was very happy with it, and i have to be honest, i went more to the dealer for small problems then i did with my previous cars (about 20 years 9 different opels). since august i have my FL2 and I never thought it would be so much more fun to drive it. Some say it is a "baby" RR and that's not a lie. But this baby is very mature. Long distance, on and off road, always a plaisure to be in it.

It needs a bit more fuel than a normal car, but that's due to the model (4x4), I'm now at 8.2 l/100km and i find it reasonable.

I wish you all the pleasure that everybody has with his FL2 if you dicide to buy one

Jürgen Fl2 zermattsilver TD4 S man

Post #37201 16th Feb 2009 11:36 am
zone30

I also think that cars that are in the ranking several years are proven to be the part.
The fact that the XC60 is ranking on top is not a confirmed valuation but rather becouse it's new.

I know it sounds stuffy, but it'll always be a volvo.
It's like this: you can buy a Nissan GT-R or an Audi R8 which sets you back +100K, but it'll never be a Ferrari.
I've never heard someone say "Oh... a Volvo...", but I already get comments on the fact it's a landrover and I still have to wait till end of april for delivery.

The fact that LR do not radically change there models in there lifetime does not betray it's age to the untrained eye. Which is quite a difference to other brands. LRs look "new" for a much much longer period.

I've personally seen more XC60's the past months then FL2s the past year and to me that rarety makes it somewhat exclusive too.

I sat in the XC60 just before I ordered my FL2, and it not only looks strange unless you pay a fortune to make it look somewhat better, but even the dealer said it's more an roadcar with some offroad capabilities and driving it also feels more roadcarish.

Thirdly, at Landrover they told me the XC60 actually has an old gearbox and engine, but that may just have been sales talk...

Lastly, even not given the arguments above and looking at financial, emotional, rational and even environmental sense there's no competition for the FL2, now more then ever with the TD4_e being built starting in march.

But what clinched it for me was that it's a car that gives me a smile on my face when driving it and it's been a long, loooooong time since that happened. I drove with a BMW 6 convertible last summer an was not impressed, just to tell you my standards are quite high. The only car that for me personally would top that is the Disco3 but that one I cannot afford.... yet Smile

Post #37202 16th Feb 2009 11:47 am
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm in the process of ordering a new FL2. Current car is BMW 320D, but need something bigger as my kids grow. Don't like the Series 5, and never liked the Merc (too chunky, plasticy dash, taxi workhorse - in Europe anyway, etc).

I test drove the Jag XF and Audi A6 (my original aim was a 'normal', but classy large family car). They both have good reputations and write-ups. The A6 2.7 D auto Quattro trip-tonic was very disappointing. A mediocre-looking car, and very dull to drive. The Jag was pretty good, but still I didn't feel 'wow'. For some reason I decided to try the FL2. Here I certainly did feel 'wow'. It has the macho attractions of an off-roader, yet all the comfort and luxury of an executive saloon, and with the new TD4_e, its fuel economy and environmental impact is comparable to standard family saloons.

British media tend to have a bias in favour of British cars (LR is at least still British built) and do their best to 'love' them. So not always objective. A good place to look is Yahoo autos. Most reviewers are US-based. I say more reviews for this car then for similar cars, and the vast majority are positive. This indicates satisfaction and passion. Negative comments were limited to complaints about fuel economy (on the petrol version) and form thouse who'd had the bad luck of a dud vehicle.

http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

I'm sold!

Post #37209 16th Feb 2009 1:26 pm
zone30

Oakwood, who are you buying from and have you bought there before?

Post #37211 16th Feb 2009 1:50 pm
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Zone30

From Kroymans in Zaventum. There were recommended.

Post #37212 16th Feb 2009 3:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>