« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Hand Break
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

RealBeale wrote:
When I saw the title, "Hand Break", I thought you'd broken your hand and was about to offer you my sympathies. Rolling with laughter

Girl in a department at work arranges ATS callouts for 'punchers' . Unbelievable Rolling Eyes

Post #365123 31st Jan 2019 2:45 pm
ianbevan

Wales 

RealBeale Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #365134 31st Jan 2019 3:52 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

BMW dealer at York had a nice car with description to include Up-Rated Breaks Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #365137 31st Jan 2019 3:55 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Yorky Bob wrote:
Cable for EHB but there may be some slight other differences in the suspension settings etc as the MY13 on car shares the same set up as the first Ewoks.

When I traded my 11 reg in and got my 14 reg there was definitely a different feel to the car in handling and suspension. I can't describe it but it somehow felt slightly different. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #365149 31st Jan 2019 5:57 pm
Lando-Rover Calrissian

United States 
After bearing replacement

After getting a wheel bearing replaced late last year, I had a rattle from the rear left wheel where the bearing was replaced. It was especially bad at low speeds. The mechanic didn't pull the cable back through the clip in the wheel assembly so the brake didn't actually work. Instead of taking it back to the mechanic, I took the wheel apart myself and tightened the brake line. The noise is still there, though not as bad. Any ideas as to what a slight rattle in the back could be on that wheel? At about 10 mph its a rattle, at about 25 mph it sounds like a frog, it actually goes away at that point though. Could the cable be bad? Could the brakes be loose somehow?

Post #370890 26th Apr 2019 2:20 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I wasnt looking forward the the drum hadbrake shoes fitted to Freelanders so was pleasantly surprised when I realised that my 14MY has the later disc type with the electronic handbrake, I had just thought that the EPB worked on a drum inside the discs like the Disco 3 set up. Apart from the unecessary complication of having electrickery apply the brakes (what was wrong with a lever and cables?) I have to say that Im very pleased with its efficiency. Having said that it did need rear brake pads replaced in less than 30k miles, while the fronts still have many thousands of miles left in them. I can only assume that the drag when driving off is creating increased wear? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #370895 26th Apr 2019 3:45 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My FL2s have been the first cars that I have ever owned that have a greater wear rate of the rear brakes than the fronts.

I believe that it is a function of the various Traction and Dynamic Control Systems that apply (mainly) the rear brakes to correct any handling (and other dynamic) issues the car detects.

I have experienced the car taking over more than a couple of times when trying to take a big motorway roundabout too quickly.
A wierd floaty feeling with power dropping and a tendency to understeer wide. - not nice.

The FL2 rewards a slow in, early apex, and accelerate out response to bends. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #370897 26th Apr 2019 4:16 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My BMW 330D (remapped to 300bhp and lots of torque) went through rear brake pads at a high rate - just keeping the wheels from spinning. But it was fun. Jules

Post #370906 26th Apr 2019 6:35 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

IanMetro wrote:
My FL2s have been the first cars that I have ever owned that have a greater wear rate of the rear brakes than the fronts.

Its funny, but when I stated that very same thing on this forum a few years back I was ridiculed....

Anyway, my experience is exactly the same as your experience. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #370907 26th Apr 2019 6:39 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have just changed the rear pads on my MY14 with EPB and they were down to a couple of mm at 43k miles. I bought the car at 25k miles and the rear pads looked in good condition then so I can't be sure whether the rear pads were original, however what I am certain about is that the front pads are original and have lots of life left in them. I don't think that rear pad wear is caused by the rear brakes dragging, I have a slightly sloping part of the drive and the car will roll easily with the brake off. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #370911 26th Apr 2019 8:31 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Ive just changed my rear pads & discs at 37K miles.
One pad had completely lost all its friction material - rust had formed under the friction material and must have lifted it off and the disc was now heavily scored.
The other 3 pads had a fair bit of wear left in them but the bot discs had marked lipping.

Having the EBH made it an easy job.

(sorry for pic mal-rotation) Jules

Post #372661 27th May 2019 8:27 am
ianbevan

Wales 

Well it almost a year from my initial post and I still don’t like the drum hand break, does it tell I have spent the afternoon with one ! backing looking on eBay from a old electric calliper it cant be that hard to my it work. Now I have government sponsorship as well as the time. Thumbs Up

Post #389395 2nd Apr 2020 6:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12