Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Reliability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Forklifts. Reminds me when I had a holiday job in a local dairy. The forklift broke down and the technician came out to repair it. The dairy manager was in the cab helping him.
What the technician should have said was "When I tell you, turn it on" but what he started to say was "Turn it on, when i tell you". He never finished that sentence as his hand got crushed. Luckily not a fatal injury. Jules

Post #377771 3rd Sep 2019 9:40 am
jules

Lightwater wrote:
At the end of the day it is Ford / Volvo mongrel animal!

Indeed it is - partly explains its reliability; its parts are used (and therefore tested) across a huge range of vehicles.

Jules

Post #377772 3rd Sep 2019 9:47 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

jules wrote:
"
There will always be people breaking the rules and using "work arounds" to solve a problem rather than mend it properly. The problem will be in the checking and signing off - its been hard enough to do it properly in the confines of the aircraft industry.

please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but haven't LR done this with the 2.0 Ingenium diesel engines to 'cure' the oil dilution problem?
IIRC they have introduced a software patch to raise the threshold at which the car flashes up DPF and other alarms associated with the oil dilution and increased servicing needs ?
Surely this in itself is not a good thing especially by a manufacturer?... Electronically altering alarm warnings in order to 'fix' a problem?

Post #377774 3rd Sep 2019 11:16 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sounds to me as if the Ingenium on a DS still has the dilution problem, my neighbour bought a new DS a year ago and had new the dilution problem and new balance shafts at 4k miles. I for one will not be buying another diesel as other manufacturers are seeing similar problems. I have been researching a petrol DS but not many about. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377775 3rd Sep 2019 11:22 am
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

We'll be hopefully getting one of the last Fl2's or maybe an early DS with the 2.2 diesel.

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #377776 3rd Sep 2019 12:40 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

any idea when the ingeniums started to appear in the DS range? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377778 3rd Sep 2019 3:02 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Be careful
I bought an Ewok with the 2.2 and 9 speed box, and I can honestly say it was the worst car I have ever owned.

Test drive one, make sure it doesn't try and kill you - no joke, sometimes it would set off in first with 4 wheel drive and launch itself across the road, sometimes it would try to set off in 3rd and bog down half way across the junction (once with a tanker bearing down on us).
The 2.2 was only used in the DS as a stopgap as the 2.0 wasn't "quite ready" ! so the ratios don't perfectly match the power delivery. The 2.0 and 9 speed works well, shame about the oil dilution. Ours 48k miles, heat shield replaced on exhaust, and several callouts when the adblue software was updated, since then she has been fine. 7 days left on the warranty! Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #377780 3rd Sep 2019 3:13 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

I have an early 2.2 DS with the 9 speed auto and have no problems with the way it drives. I find it drives fine with no lags between gears etc. It does not use first gear during normal use as that is extra low for off road use. The gearbox seems to suit the engine fine as I find it has plenty of power and changes up and down as you would expect it to. When in D I can`t tell what gear it is in as it sometimes block shifts as conditions dictate but when you put your foot down it does as you would expect it to and will go like a rocket when you put your foot down hard.There is a noticeable difference when it is in Eco mode however as it is much slower off the line and seems a little sluggish at times so I drive it in normal mode but have not noticed any difference in fuel consumption. I have had it for 9 months now and have had no problems with it. I tow a 17ft caravan with it and it doesn`t slow it down that much when its on the back but it does knock a good few miles of the MPG!

Post #377786 3rd Sep 2019 4:54 pm
jules

Hmm I'm not encouraged to buy another JLR vehicle at the moment. Now that we are both retired we only use the FL2 for long journeys (100+ miles) and towing. So I shall try and keep our FL2 for as long as reasonably possible as it suits us fine. Rest of the time we use the Fiesta ST or the Copen. Jules

Post #377788 3rd Sep 2019 5:06 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hm my neighbour has bought a DS
So far its suffered oil dilution 3 times, every time at 4000 miles and adblue injector failure apart from some additional small niggles.
He says
"extremely unimpressed and he has said categorically last Land Rover ever !" Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #377814 4th Sep 2019 11:13 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

jules wrote:
Hmm I'm not encouraged to buy another JLR vehicle at the moment. Now that we are both retired we only use the FL2 for long journeys (100+ miles) and towing. So I shall try and keep our FL2 for as long as reasonably possible as it suits us fine. Rest of the time we use the Fiesta ST or the Copen.

I have to agree, My current FL2 has been faultless, not even a bulb in 6 years. hasn't even generated a random or spurious fault code, unlike my previous one that used to generate about 250+ in a couple of weeks use.

I have just used it for a week down in Cornwall 625 miles, perfect even the stop/start was spot on which helped with the 6-8 mile traffic queues at every roundabout and 2 into 1 lanes on the A30. I still achieved 41.4MPg overall and only topped up once the whole duration.
Had Not been to Cornwall for a holiday for 25 years and it will be another 25 before I consider going again. I can get down to the south of france quicker ! 9.5 hrs going South it took & parking nightmare. I have to say, as mentioned on tripadvisor a lot of towns looking very shabby indeed. The Lizard was great, much quieter and good walking and we parked for free ! Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #377815 4th Sep 2019 11:21 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Fancy coming to Cornwall during the school holidays Rolling with laughter

This week we start zipping around again, the six weeks previous is best to just stay very local and bide our time.....have to agree about some of the larger towns (Newquay and StIves especially) getting very shabby and tired, due in no small fault to the fact a lot of the older B&B places are just full of “up country social housing rejects” being housed on long term contracts from local authorities.

Best to stay with the smaller towns and stay on the south coast....... Wink Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377816 4th Sep 2019 11:32 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
any idea when the ingeniums started to appear in the DS range?

2017. It'll be advertised as 2.0 rather than 2.2.
I think the problem with the Ingenium cars is their unpredictability. Some people have had serious problems, but many people are happy. My MY 17 wasn't faultless - it never let me down but there were a couple of warning light episodes which needed warranty work. It asked for an oil change every 10-12000 miles, which is fine (and in my case were carried out for free). Having driven it I wouldn't go back to a FL2 - the FL2 is indeed reliable (but not perfect) but technology and comfort have moved on. I'm happy with the Ingenium and have just bought an ex-demo new model Evoque. Salesman tells me they've ironed out all the faults, but when I asked them what these faults were he didn't know...
Incidentally, the new Evoque is nothing like the old one. I drove several and disliked them all. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #377822 4th Sep 2019 2:13 pm
jules

What didnt you like about the latest Evoque ? Jules

Post #377832 4th Sep 2019 6:19 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I didn't like the old Evoque. Nothing to dislike about the new one so far! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #377833 4th Sep 2019 6:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>