Home > General > Fuel consumption TD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
TASH

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
Fuel consumption TD4

What are you getting from your td4.

During test drive freelander showed 32mpg from the on board computer, is this about correct??

Post #2312 6th Apr 2007 9:46 pm
tamboradave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame

I'm getting 35mpg over about 1200 miles, combination driving.... A Roads, Motorway and just nipping here and there.

I'm please with that.

Regards,

David

Post #2317 7th Apr 2007 7:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stuartp

United Kingdom 

Iv done just over 1000 miles so far, town driving and motorway and i am getting no better than 30 to the gallon so not to pleased at the moment.

Post #2331 8th Apr 2007 6:07 pm
pim

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Narvik Black

what is mpg in l/100km???

Post #2338 9th Apr 2007 12:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

pim wrote:
what is mpg in l/100km???

here you find a fuel consumption convertor:

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

so 30 mpg = 9.416 l/100 Km. and for dutch people who prefer to know how far they get with only 1 liter Wink 10,62 Km/l

Post #2339 9th Apr 2007 6:57 am
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Local driving getting 31-32, pleased with that, be better on motorway and when the engine has done a few more miles
David Smile David

Post #2343 9th Apr 2007 9:22 am
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Not saying I drive like "miss daisy" but I'm getting 36mpg with a mix of driving and on a motorway run hitting 40 plus. On motorway I'm not doing any more than 70mph so setting cruise control and waking up at the other end.. found that even when you speed even upto ..... certain other speeds in excess of 70mph that I shant mention!! .... since you do it for such short periods you only trim about 5mins off your journey and I wont give plod the satisfaction of banging points on my licence and I save fuel costs too. Wifes Mini Cooper returns a poor 30mpg, so our "gas guuzzler" does pretty well - MR CHANCELLOR!!!

Post #2370 11th Apr 2007 12:50 am
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Just clocked up 1200 miles on my FL2 after returning from a weekend near Edingburgh. Set the trip before leaving and on a 400 mile mixture of 50/50 A roads and the M6 the computer says 36.6mpg. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #2452 16th Apr 2007 11:57 am
Joiner_8

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Re: Fuel consumption TD4

TASH wrote:
What are you getting from your td4.

During test drive freelander showed 32mpg from the on board computer, is this about correct??

I have a TD4 and just back from a short trip around the Castle Douglas area and managed 40MPG keeping the speed to about 60MPH although the roads did not allow speeds more that 60mph, I thought that I was doing well getting that sort of MPG, that was with the cruise control on and in 6th gear most of the time.

Post #3035 13th May 2007 2:53 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Don't be misled into thinking that Cruise Control as an economy device, it is a comfort aid for long distance drives! After 30 years of driving cars with cruise control I have learned that even the best factory fitted units linked to gearboxes and engine ECU's like Land Rover do don't work nearly as well as a very light right foot on a long run. Cruise isn't as progressive at changing RPM as a right foot! Cruise will help save some fuel but if you use it on uphill down dale type A roads and motorways your right foot will react more quickly, especially on downhill sections where it takes longer for the ECU to detect that engine load has disappeared, it also will not completely close the fuel supply like removing your right foot from the gas pedal does on a long downhill. Best place to use cruise for fuel economy is somewhere like the Fens or Holland where it will beat a right foot anytime!

Does anybody remember when Clarkson drove the Audi A8 4.0Tdi to from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank of diesel? He was able to get much better economy using his foot than the CC, but he did admit that it knackering concentrating so hard trying to keep a constant speed...........................

I use cruise all the time around here as we have fairly flat and straight roads into Stirling, however I still get better MPG when I drive the car and not the computers. Where CC is extremely useful is where there are strictly monitored speed limits. If you engage it at a couple of mph below the limit then you can sit back and relax and not worry about the cameras, all you have to worry about is the silly prat in front of you who slams on the brakes 10ft before they get to a camera, even when they are doing 2mph over the limit because they think they will get a ticket How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #3037 13th May 2007 9:15 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

At just over 11,600 miles my overall fuel consumption is sitting at 36.8mpg which includes some 600 miles with the caravan in tow and a number of off road sessions. On road its a mixture of motorway and A road miles. If I strip out the caravan miles the figure is 38.0mpg; I'm very pleased with that.

BTW These figures are a calculated from miles travelled against fuel put in the car, i.e. not from the on board computer; so their ultimate accuracy is a function of the accuracy of the car's odometer and the fuel pumps I use.

Post #3529 1st Jun 2007 7:47 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

37mph after 1000 miles of mixed motorway/country roads/urban driving, according to the on-board computer. Two thirds of that is probably motorway, cruising at about 80mph on the speedo (Tomtom reckons its about 77mph)

Post #3551 4th Jun 2007 10:20 am
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I must be doing something wrong!!

With 1900m on clock I am averaging about 27mpg around town on daily (albeit mostly less than 5m) runs.

Went down to London, and did a 500m round trip but still only managed about 32mpg on that.

Towing big trailer 200m last week, did about 24mpg, so wondering if fueling might be out. I normally manage within a couple of mpg, of combined figures, and better on longer runs.

Anybody offer any views, or should I just move my seat further away from the loud pedal Confused

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #3566 4th Jun 2007 6:02 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

You always need plenty of lead in your pencil .... but not in your right foot !!!!!!!!

Post #3570 4th Jun 2007 6:33 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Whats puzzling me is that I (with previous new cars) generally get close to the manufacturers published combined and long run figures.

27/32mpg is a fair way short of both figures, hence the concern.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #3575 4th Jun 2007 7:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>