Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fixed towbar, removeable - Best of both worlds??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Fixed towbar, removeable - Best of both worlds??

After having doubts about the aesthetics of the LR fixed height towbar which came with my car and considering swapping to the detachable type I think I have found the ideal compromise.

On closer examination and the use of a couple of 19mm spanners I found I could readily remove the 'hitch' section from the main bar very easily. Perhaps not as quickly as the twist and go truly detachable type but certainly no more than a 5 min, 2 bolt task.

Once removed I re inserted the 2 retaining cross bolts back into the hitch 'reciever' part of the main bar. These bolts do act as retainers for the hook up socket mounting plates (until I can devise a minor modification) so do need to be put back

The benefits I see are that once removed the arrangement is just as discreet as the LR removeable unit. It has the added benefit of being capable of supporting a tow hitch mounted bike rack once in situ.

I know views differ on the fixed/removeable bars but if you do want the best of both worlds its worth condsidering.......a cost saving too.

Post #36890 11th Feb 2009 12:49 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Your solution sounds quite interesting though I'm not sure I would be feel the need to do the same. Given that I have an Alko friction stabiliser I would prefer a fixed bar over a normal removable one, I've heard stories of 'knocking' when detachables are used with a friction hitch.

I have an LR fixed swan neck, to be honest it has never been a problem. Previously I've had the bruises around my shins that you often get from working around a fixed towbar, but this has never been an issue the the current tow bar on the FL2. I think the swan neck looks quite 'minimalist' in itself and the twin electrics are very neat because they are mounted on the car at the base of the swan neck. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #36892 11th Feb 2009 3:21 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Maybe if you are towing a caravan, a fixed tow bar is an advantage/best option Question
However for mounting a Thule bike rack and for occasional light trailer towing the removable tow bar is far the best option and I cannot see any advantages of a fixed tow bar for these instances. At the best of times, any tow bar sticking out the back of any vehicle looks really ugly and often a pain in the shins. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #36900 11th Feb 2009 9:23 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

'removed' is the best type Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #36902 11th Feb 2009 9:32 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
'removed' is the best type Thumbs Up

Whistle Now I wonder why that would be ? Whistle Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #36906 11th Feb 2009 10:18 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I too have the fixed tow-bar

and have also looked at the two bolt in question, not on a how the car looks why, but due to it dragging slightly on the ground whilst off road.

I decided, the bar is NOT designed to be removed and replaced by the use of the bolt, so i would keep it where it is FIXED in position.

The reason, i thought of this and decided against it was possible BOLT FATIGUE, due to the tightening and loosening of the bolts over time, the risk of OVER TIGHTENING and Shearing the bolt under load, The risk of UNDER TIGHTENING and coming loose and the fact a tow-bar installer would never use the same bolts twice.

With £10000 or 1500kg of caravan on the back, which could be let loose and into another car the risk is not worth it for a fixed towbar to be messed with. Even the break away chain would be activated as it would have nothing to pull on Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36911 11th Feb 2009 10:45 am
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

npinks wrote:
I too have the fixed tow-bar

and have also looked at the two bolt in question, not on a how the car looks why, but due to it dragging slightly on the ground whilst off road.

I decided, the bar is NOT designed to be removed and replaced by the use of the bolt, so i would keep it where it is FIXED in position.

The reason, i thought of this and decided against it was possible BOLT FATIGUE, due to the tightening and loosening of the bolts over time, the risk of OVER TIGHTENING and Shearing the bolt under load, The risk of UNDER TIGHTENING and coming loose and the fact a tow-bar installer would never use the same bolts twice.

With £10000 or 1500kg of caravan on the back, which could be let loose and into another car the risk is not worth it for a fixed towbar to be messed with. Even the break away chain would be activated as it would have nothing to pull on

I can certainly understand your view on this and its obviously an individual choice. I probably tow half a dozen times a year so I suppose if I replace the bolts once a year it is no hardship. A torque wrench would allay any fears about the actual 'nipping up' process. Re the break away cable, that attaches to the side plates of the main bar so is unnaffected

Post #36931 11th Feb 2009 12:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The bolts in question will need to be torqued to 104Nm and the bolts for the towhitch are 250Nm

My brakeaway cable clips on just below the tow hitch's bolt on the right Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36933 11th Feb 2009 1:06 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

chicken george wrote:
'removed' is the best type Thumbs Up

I have the fixed towbar, and no, I don't tow a caravan Smile

Personally I'm happy it's there permanently, as it's added rear protection in the supermarket car park. I've already found one idiot parked on it when returning to my car - was severely tempted to 'accidentally' reverse an inch or so to drive it into their radiator...

- Dick

Post #37033 12th Feb 2009 3:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1