« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mantec Guards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Furyan

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Mantec Guards

Has anyone fitted these yet, the fuel tank and steering/sump guard?

Do you notice anything different after having them installed? Customisation: LED (CW) Internal Lighting, Re-badged Steering Wheel (black/silver badge), Wheel Caps (black/silver badge), Black Magic Tint, Santorini Black handles

Accessories: LR Chronograph, LR Golf Umbrella, LR Pen, LR Key Chain, LR Hat (blue), Rubber Boot Protector Mat, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Body Side Mouldings

Post #36777 9th Feb 2009 5:03 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

Not seen a car with them on in the flesh yet, but other than looks and not t Censored g your sump and fuel tank off rock I cant imagine there would be all that much difference. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #36815 9th Feb 2009 10:09 pm
sievester

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Are you getting them for looks or do you actually plan on banging them off rocks? One thing you will notice is a significant lightening of the wallet of about $2000. However they would be effective, my fuel tank has copped some significant hits and the sump guard has some major scrapes in it.

Post #36847 10th Feb 2009 12:37 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

I wonder if a metal workshow can't build them cheaper?
Should not be more then £500 for the lot in my opinion.

Post #36848 10th Feb 2009 12:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I admit to not having any protection on mine yet but I did have a Mantec guard on my G4 Discovery II and the best thing was that it all fitted and came with very good instructions and parts. The aluminium contact plate could be replaced without the frame. I have heard that other makes have to be "adjusted". Maybe something to do with the fact that Land Rover uses (e.g. G4 Challenge vehicles) and supplies Mantec guards.

I hope Sievester has noted that fitting the guards actually reduces the ground clearance a bit so although it does not matter that you touch the ground, you may have missed making contact on some occasions if you had no guard (if you understand what I mean).

I think the sump/tank guards are about £350-380 each in U.K. but what price is a new fuel tank or engine sump pan and all the associated recoveryand repair? Think of underbody protection like insurance; money for nothing if the worst does not happen but a blessing (and good value) if it does! Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #36866 10th Feb 2009 3:51 pm
Furyan

My wife wants to go to TAS and camp etc., so yes we plan on using them. As for clearance, I have added the side steps which already lowered my clearance a bit. Sad

The Mantec are the ones recommended to me by LR and the service department is familiar with them as well.

Looks like I'll get them both. Before having them installed I think I'll get them anodised black. Customisation: LED (CW) Internal Lighting, Re-badged Steering Wheel (black/silver badge), Wheel Caps (black/silver badge), Black Magic Tint, Santorini Black handles

Accessories: LR Chronograph, LR Golf Umbrella, LR Pen, LR Key Chain, LR Hat (blue), Rubber Boot Protector Mat, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Body Side Mouldings

Post #36896 11th Feb 2009 7:51 am
sievester

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

If I was you I would either not go where I needed the guards or remove the side steps, get some 17 inch wheels, decent A/T tyres and some 4WD training. The FL2 is quite capable and will surprise where it will go as long as it is driven within its capabilities.

Post #36912 11th Feb 2009 10:46 am
Furyan

Lets see...

I am swapping my 19" wheels out for 18" wheels next Tuesday. I am then getting a set of Coopers for them, swap them out when we go on trips. I've done 4WD training via LR in North Carolina (got several pieces of paper up on the wall in my office from LR, five to be exact) and have previous experience doing 4WD before I got married.

One good thing... the LR black badged wheel caps I got will now work with my new wheels without me having to do anything. Laughing Customisation: LED (CW) Internal Lighting, Re-badged Steering Wheel (black/silver badge), Wheel Caps (black/silver badge), Black Magic Tint, Santorini Black handles

Post #36947 11th Feb 2009 2:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1