Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RONBOX SYNERGY 3 ADVICE...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Dervy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Barolo Black
RONBOX SYNERGY 3 ADVICE...

Calling all owners of fl2 2.2 td4's who have the synergy 3 box fitted (fuel rail + MAP type)

I've just received and fitted a synergy 3 box and have it on setting 2 (max torque / med power).

I also have the optional "eco" dash toggle switch but have not fitted that yet...

What settings do you have it on for best day to day use? I'm hoping to eek a few extra mpg as i do quite a bit of motorway driving.
Should i bother fitting the dash switch for the extra "eco" setting??

I do next to no towing and is an auto.
Car is dpf free / swirl flap free / egr blanked.

All advice welcome! Thumbs Up

Post #361383 1st Dec 2018 6:23 pm
alex_pescaru

I would be careful with that box, as it fools the ECU in believing the rail pressure has not been reached and force it to command a higher rail pressure.
This combined with a weak design (for MY up to 2009) of the exhaust camshaft at the connection with high pressure fuel pump, will temp fate and invite to possible failure of the camshaft.
Just my 0.02...

Post #361384 1st Dec 2018 9:02 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Totally agree with Alex on this . If you want more power/torque buy an SD4 .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #361396 1st Dec 2018 10:29 pm
Dervy

Can we please stick to the primary question please guys.... Rolling Eyes

Post #361459 3rd Dec 2018 9:06 am
Dervy

So! After a few weeks of testing (averaging about 700 miles a week - commuting on m6 and then sitting in stationary/slow traffic) I've found that standard, achieved about 37mpg.

On the eco mode achieved 37.5mpg.

Using the max torque / medium power setting it achieved 38.7mpg.

These figures were worked out real time - on board trip computer was ignored. (Although for interest sake, it has worked out as a total for all 2k+ miles as 38mpg dead.)

I must stress that a good proportion of the m6 is currently 50mph but when i can go at 70mph, I do! And i use the cruise control!
Although i rarely floor it (why would you?) I don't drive like a lunatic but i certainly don't drive slowly.

And to put the above concerns at rest, I have not fitted the synergy box for max power (my race car provides those kicks on track). The box does have more aggressive settings with higher boost etc for max power but I've no interest in chasing bhp figures. Yawn. Mine is set on the mild low boost with Max torque. It is a land rover at the end of the day! I bought the box purely to eek a few mpg and it works. And it responds much more fluidly compared to standard (and my friends standard sd4!) Which is an everyday bonus.

Overall, to buy brand new the synergy 3 costs £180. So it is rather expensive. But it comes with much high regard from the jaguar xf owners forum who the majority have purchased it. It seems to be their standard fitment! They also warn against the other cheap tuning boxes available with poor outcomes due to them altering the fuel pressure only. (The synergy 3 uses fuel pressure and MAP sensor to work dynamically).

To recap, my Freelander 2 is an auto 2.2 td4 non dpf model (2008).
Egr blanked both ends with cross over pipe delete.
Jaguar xf non swirl flap inlet manifold fitted.
New map / maf sensors fitted for this test.
Synergy 3 box.
Otherwise standard software.

Overall, with the synergy box fitted, the car responds much better. Runs very cleanly with no smoke whatsoever. Compared to standard, is obviously better in every way.

So i guess that means it now comes highly recommended by me!
Although with everything, you purchase and fit at your own risk. I in no way have any affiliation with the product - i purchased it brand new.
I considered a remap and to be honest, that's what i would usually recommend. But this product is aimed specifically at this td4 engine. I managed to buy it cheaply at £100 so was keen to test it! And I'm very happy with the results!

Now i would like to see the mpg results /driving results from people who have had their td4's remapped..... Has any td4 auto owner cracked the 40mpg barrier???

Either way, i do hope you've found this write up interesting and useful! Thumbs Up

The blue settings are low boost and the red settings high boost.
I have mine on setting 2.
For the next tank of fuel, i might set it to number 4 - high torque / high power (low boost) to see if it achieves more mpg. I'll update with results in due course...

Last edited by Dervy on 15th Dec 2018 11:46 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #361996 15th Dec 2018 11:23 am
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

On a long run and constant speed my td4 auto will achieve 40mpg it is as it was from the factory i. e totally standard.

Post #361998 15th Dec 2018 11:37 am
Dervy

That's excellent to hear! Of course i do appreciate that mpg is purely down to the drivers characteristics... My commute is a bit up and down on the m6 at the moment due to heavy roadworks and the typical stationary Birmingham traffic. What year is yours? With swirl flaps? Dpf?

Post #361999 15th Dec 2018 11:40 am
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

It's an 07 complete with swirl flaps and just topped 70k this week oh and no dpf Thumbs Up

Post #362000 15th Dec 2018 11:50 am
Dervy

Good stuff. Mine has just clicked over 90k. It's interesting to get a benchmark from similar vehicles. I swapped to non swirl flap manifold due to a colleague having a very bad experience with swirl flap failure in the past. Good excuse to renew the glow plugs too. Mpg wise, the swirl flaps don't appear to improve anything. My mpg was the same before and after fitment and driving felt the same too. Probably why they stopped fitting them in later vehicles due to having no point! Confused

Post #362001 15th Dec 2018 11:55 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

manual model and 47.6mpg best.

With 44 years in the trade im with Alex and would not fit a unit that miss proportinates the fuel pressures.
I have seen so many engines fail when a box has a glitch and the fuel rail pressure defaults to max from false signals
i would not remove or blank the EGr valve as this is now quite a serious offence with huge fines. Its not just an MOT failure DVSA are now carrying out road side checks and the fines are up to £2500 for tampering with emission equipment.

Mines just fine as it is Thumbs Up

what dot gov says
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/modifying-your-vehicles-emissions/modifying-your-vehicles-emissions-the-legal-safety-and-health-implications Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #362008 15th Dec 2018 5:06 pm
Dervy

Please keep to the post subject.

Although ironically, I've always blanked the egr where i can in my past vehicles and all, perhaps ironically, have been much cleaner during the mot emissions tests. And it's not illegal to remove the egr. Only the dpf needs to be in situ where fitted after 2009. Let's keep it factual and relevant guys! Thumbs Up

Post #362009 15th Dec 2018 5:09 pm
oldgeezer

EGR removal as by DVSA

8.2 Exhaust emissions
8.2.1 Spark ignition engine emissions
8.2.1.1 Exhaust emission control equipment
This inspection is only for vehicles that must have a full catalyst emissions test (disregarding the basic emissions test). You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, and exhaust gas recirculation valves.

Defect Category
Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defective Major
An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels

and Diesels
8.2.2 Compression ignition engine emissions
8.2.2.1 Exhaust emission control equipment
You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.

Defect Category
Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective Major
An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels Major
Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered with Major

You did say lets be factual Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #362011 15th Dec 2018 6:02 pm
Dervy

Yawn. It also clearly states where emissions levels have exceeded the maximum permissible levels. Ironically when blanking (not leaking!) Egr valves the results are cleaner emissions. Egr valves are an out of date design that was fitted to engines in laboratory conditions. As soon as they're driven in the road, they are fouled and become out of spec, resulting in poor running and inefficient burning cycles. Often with visible smoke as a result. Mine smoked with the egr. It now does not. Which is cleaner?

Dpf's on the other hand have a poor reputation but are an active physical catcher of particles. This should not be removed if fitted for obvious benefits. (And as such is a legal requirement post 2009). My vehicle has very wide emissions restraints so passes (and now exceeds) the emissions requirements. I personally feel better now my vehicle is not belching dirty soot.... Or would you prefer it??

Either way. Both points are proven.

Post #362012 15th Dec 2018 6:24 pm
oldgeezer

to be correct removing EGR valves does not clean up the emissions

The EGR valve is there to reduce combustion temperatures by reducing the oxygen in the cylinder to prevent the combustion temperatures exceeding certain temperatures ( approx 1200 degrees ) where the engine produces extremely harmful NOX !
Those that remove the EGR contravine construction & use act section 61 & 61a

whilst removing may appear to reduce the soot, NOX goes through the roof & NOX is a real environmental issue Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #362020 15th Dec 2018 6:55 pm
Dervy

Whistle

Post #362022 15th Dec 2018 7:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>