« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Powered Tailgate (factory) Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
Powered Tailgate (factory) Retrofit

Like a lot of vehicle systems today the powered tailgate system that JLR use is a proprietary product by Brose.

The system uses electric struts, an electronic module and a latch with a cinching motor. Pretty much all that is needed to add to have a powered tailgate in the Freelander 2.

LR014184 is the tailgate latch used in both Freelander 2 and Evoque without powered tailgate, exactly same latch and striker. The electrical latching system between Freelander 2 and Evoque in non-powered tailgate is also identical right down to the connections to the CJB.

In brief, the only difference between non powered and powered tailgate is one extra wire (secondary signaling wire) between the latch and the tailgate control module highlighted in the electrical schematic below.

Everything else is just electrically connecting electric struts, cinching motor, latch and tailgate module. The easiest way of achieving this is as I’ve done. Below is what is left of LR033349 Evoque tailgate harness minus rear demister, rear wiper, rear camera, rear tailgate switch, rear license plate lights and a few other bits which leaves me with just wiring necessary for the powered tailgate including the one extra wire I need. Just to make life more interesting the entire tailgate harness is all done in black wiring, no indentifying colour code hence a lot of blue tape to help me identify all wiring.

The only other connections I need to make to my vehicle is a 25amp constant power to the RJB (RED WIRE) a Ground (BLACK WIRE) and a single illumination wire (BROWN WIRE) which goes back to the CJB for the rear tailgate close switch (if I must & Yes I will). I’ve already have the 25amp constant power pigtail in the RJB so just need to solder directly to this.

Only other worthy mention is the pinout on the latch between non powered & powered tailgate which is different but same wires between the two except for the extra wire mentioned above, secondary signal wire to the tailgate module.

Primary signal wire, ground and power same for except different pinout positions.

I already have a tailgate module, cinching motor and latch are on they’re way and still need to source elextric struts likely new at this stage. When I have the cinching motor I need to find a spot in the rear tailgate to mount, most likely in the lower parts of the rear tailgate circled in red, as it’s conected to the latch via a steel pull cord, hence I’m limited to how far it could be mounted from the latch. The remaining tailgate module and Tailgate close switch final mounting points will be secondary to this cinching motor.

In regards to the CCF currently the powered tailgate is set to “not fitted”. I’ve scanned another vehicle with powered tailgate and interestingly there is 2 fields which need to be activated, interesting as one field is a “legacy” field while the other is in the EUCD block.

Click image to enlarge

There’s still details that be sorted out so will update as I go along. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Last edited by Stuartc on 20th Oct 2018 1:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #359077 20th Oct 2018 12:14 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Your arms getting a bit weak!

Can you stop the rear door at a set height. Eg I can't open the rear door to the full height in the garage as the rolled up garage door is in the way, but anywhere else I would like the rear door to open fully. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #359079 20th Oct 2018 12:33 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Stu, you are crazy. Can't wait to add this to my car once you have it all sorted 🤣

Post #359080 20th Oct 2018 1:19 pm
Stuartc

You can set the opening position wherever you like by either manually placing door where you want it or stopping it at desired height then depressing Tailgate close switch for 10 seconds to memorise. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #359081 20th Oct 2018 1:19 pm
Stuartc

Vanny wrote:
Stu, you are crazy. Can't wait to add this to my car once you have it all sorted 🤣

You have to ask! Laughing

Life’s never boring around a crazy person tho..... Whistle

Don’t worry I’m sure I’ll need to bounce some problems off you at some stage Surprised MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Last edited by Stuartc on 21st Oct 2018 3:28 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #359082 20th Oct 2018 1:22 pm
Lightwater

Vanny wrote:

This is simply the trial run for the bonnet. Then he will have the fuel cap automatically unscrew at the browser on turning off the engine & being in proximity of the back of the car using the surround camera system! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #359107 20th Oct 2018 8:11 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What about this?

Smart Auto Electric Tail Gate Lift for Land Rover Freelander 2 Control Set Height Avoid Pinch With electric suction
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bEcgtntR Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #359109 20th Oct 2018 9:39 pm
Stuartc

Yes, seen those and it’s a good “Plan B” or for pre MY13 your best bet.
Unfortunately with that system you have to modify the stricker mount and cover to fit which I’d prefer not to do.
Even though from the pics the wiring looks complicated, it’s not, it’s actually pretty straight forward as everything exists in the Freelander 2 tailgate as basically the Evoque is a Freelander 2 electrically. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #359110 21st Oct 2018 1:27 am
ernik

Russia 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

my previous car was equipped with the option of power tailgate so when I bought a freel I was looking for the opportunity to installing this option ...
As a result, a set was purchased on alixpress which was mentioned by andyk159 in his post.
everything else when I had the opportunity to compare the original evoque drive pole with one what was included in ali pack so it has a difference in length when folded.
I think the whole problem of installation will rest against the impossibility of mounting pole.
and by the way on the wiring diagram 1 drive is displayed, but for some reason it seems to me that they should be 2

Post #359368 25th Oct 2018 3:47 pm
Stuartc

Motor in the electrical schematics is the Cinching Motor.
Page 2 has the electric poles schematics.

Click image to enlarge

Mounting the Cinching motor was one of the main concerns with fitting the powered tailgate. Happy to say after a lot of head scratching on the weekend found the necessary space to mount the Cinching motor without any major modification.

Was successfully able to get Cinching motor in besides the wiper motor as the cover is cymetrical whilst the motor isn’t leaving a nice, albeit tight space on the left and refitting cover. I’ve not secured in place as yet so plan on doing this next.

Now that Cinching motor is confirmed the only other concern is the poles.
Evoque poles are roughly 10cm longer so the pivot point on the tailgate needs to be repositioned and 10cm is basically doable just.
Vanny and I are considering other options but we haven’t decided on any option at this point but I’m leaning towards staying with JLR parts unless a better option presents itself.
I also test fitted the new latch which was a success apart from it being faulty so that’s ticked off the list also. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #359674 30th Oct 2018 3:01 pm
Lightwater

I had to replace the struts on my previous car. It's only once you have them off & lift the boot without struts, or even with only one, you then realises how heavy the boot is.

If the pivot point needs to change are the new struts designed for the different load at the new position. Even though they are electric I would assume that the load still has to be within a certain range. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #359692 30th Oct 2018 8:21 pm
Stuartc

It’s certainly a factor but as I’m moving the distance between the two pivots ie body/tailgate further apart I’m more worried about the final height of the tailgate rather than load which theoretically should be slightly reduced as the point of force is further from the hinge. Unless the electric ram has more extension the tailgate may be lower than with the gas strut.
The other factor is that the electric rams have assistance springs in them.
Feel free to correct me Vanny Laughing MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #359880 3rd Nov 2018 4:33 am
Lightwater

Then it would be like an electric garage door. It still has a spring to balance the load so you don't bug_er the electric motor. Pop the struts off & test the height of the door. A 2 person job!

While on the subject, the studs at the top of the struts attached to the body were both about half a turn loose on my car. Probably due to road corrugations. Also noticed that this area of bodywork is a touch flexible when I tighten up the studs. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #359881 3rd Nov 2018 4:55 am
Stuartc

As I mentioned earlier the powered tailgate latch LR025420 was faulty but I’ve managed to repair it.
Bonus with this side distraction is that I now have a very good understanding of how the latch works with the cinching motor and electronics.

I was going to install the latch in place of the current one but I’m thinking for the purpose of testing the whole system might be easier to wait otherwise may have wires going everywhere when testing. Rolling Eyes
Oh and because I like to try and think of all contingencies if for some reason I can’t release the tailgate I now know how to gain access to the rear tailgate area in case of latch failure. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #359893 3rd Nov 2018 2:40 pm
Stuartc

With the electric rams imminent I thought I’d better get a move on with making the electrical connection to the vehicle which now means I can just plug in the loom to test the whole system.
Basically a permanent power circuit, ground and a tailgate switch illumination circuit.

Now just need to add the 25amp fuse to FB6 to energise the system.

Just waiting on the rams now to do the final checks and then can start fitting it all.

MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate