Home > General > Towing snow struck cars
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Towing snow struck cars

Hi

After having my first go at towing a stuck car, and it working OK, I have a question.

What should you do, if your towing point is on the opposite side to theirs, as it was, as it just pulled their car to the side. How do you stop this, or should I have reversed, so at least my towing point was in the middle?

Rich

Post #36446 6th Feb 2009 12:29 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

difficult one that, when I towed a hgv up the farm lane the front tow hitch on the hgv was far to the left as opposed to the center hitch on the tractor , so like your experience the towed vehicle wandered to the side of the road Confused not much can be done really At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #36461 6th Feb 2009 1:46 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I`m afraid that your first thought, before "where are the towing points?" should be "Do I really want to do this?".
Having had Land Rovers for years, I am used to, all of a sudden, becoming very popular when the snow comes. But what would have happened if your tow had, say, slid the towed car off the road into a wall and done damage. Are you sure that the owner of said car would still be happy and would have thanked you.
It really is sad that you need to think this way, but it is the way of things these days! Some of the lads in our LR club used to carry disclaimer forms for towees to sign, but I don`t think that they were worth the paper they were written on if someone went for a negligence claim. I still will pull people out if they deserve helping (but not if they got stuck due to stupidity) but am VERY careful about what you do.
Incidentally,
I have been called out by the local County Council,when snow stopped all police patrols,under the Emergency
Planning organisation and spent a brilliant day with a police officer next to me driving all the back roads
checking out abandoned vehicles ("its embarassing when we don`t find the body for 4 or 5 days!!!) and answering emergency "shouts" etc.
I even pulled an HGV out of a side road onto the main road - it looked impressive to everyone as the copper held up all the traffic, but it was obvious that the wagon was very nearly getting out on its own and only needed a little bit of a tug to make forward progress.
And then getting the LR filled up at their expense. And no danger of any claims `cause I was "official". That was fun!!!! Very Happy Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #36463 6th Feb 2009 2:27 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Nicam

How did you get on the Emergency Planning organisation? And was this with the FL2, or a previous LR?

I've always wondered about being able to help in this way, and have heard of this before.

Do you need to have had any official training, so they don't end up with some cowboy who can't drive in the bad weather?

Rich

Post #36472 6th Feb 2009 4:40 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

It was through my local Land Rover Club who had the tie up with the council. It was a few years ago and I suspect that they may be more reluctant to call us out now than they were then.
Try contacting the Emergency Planning dept. and ask the question of them? They can only say no. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #36491 6th Feb 2009 7:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1