Home > General > Strange click sounds heard on left side while driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
snowbren

United States 2007 LR2 TD4 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Strange click sounds heard on left side while driving

Hi Land Rover Community,

Just got the LR2 a couple of days ago (tand the ride is great!). I have two observations, that I wonder if anyone else has experienced?

First, when driving I seem to hear some kind of metallic "tap" or "click" noises to my left and slightly behind me. It is almost akin to the noises an enging may make while cooling after after driving on a hot day, but I don't believe it's emanating from the front. I wonder if the metal body is somehow "stiff" or something?

It rained a lot and took me a few minutes to get the wipers going (too many directions lol)...but I heard a noise when the front right wiper completes a wipe cycle...the right tip of the wiper blade seems to touch the a plastic bit at bottom right of front window...it makes a noise each time and I hear it above the regular wiper swish.

Any ideas, especially about the first point I made? I think I heard it also when doing a test drive on the dealer's vehicle, but didn't pay it much heed.

Cheers,
Brendan

Last edited by snowbren on 6th Apr 2007 3:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #2296 6th Apr 2007 2:22 pm
ej

England 

I think the wrong length of wiper blade has been fitted it's easy to fix get your desler to fit the correct hand of wiper blade which should be slightly shorter in lenghth may be it was a european oversight in the build process where the wipers swing the other way

Post #2297 6th Apr 2007 3:34 pm
snowbren

Thanks for the tip. The dealer called to ask how it was going and I tried to recount as best as I can about this "metallicy" sort of clicking sound coming from side of car while driving. I guess you had the LR2/Freelander 2 for some months before they made it over stateside! Hence, you have a good perspective on any potential issues!

Post #2298 6th Apr 2007 3:45 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Strange click sounds heard on left side while driving

snowbren wrote:
Hi Land Rover Community,

Just got the LR2 a couple of days ago (tand the ride is great!). I have two observations, that I wonder if anyone else has experienced?

First, when driving I seem to hear some kind of metallic "tap" or "click" noises to my left and slightly behind me. It is almost akin to the noises an enging may make while cooling after after driving on a hot day, but I don't believe it's emanating from the front. I wonder if the metal body is somehow "stiff" or something?

It rained a lot and took me a few minutes to get the wipers going (too many directions lol)...but I heard a noise when the front right wiper completes a wipe cycle...the right tip of the wiper blade seems to touch the a plastic bit at bottom right of front window...it makes a noise each time and I hear it above the regular wiper swish.

Any ideas, especially about the first point I made? I think I heard it also when doing a test drive on the dealer's vehicle, but didn't pay it much heed.

Cheers,
Brendan

Hi Brendon
Your first point, if it happens as you drive off and no repeat it could the door security locking.
your second point with wipers, get your dealer to adjust
Hope this helps
David David

Post #2302 6th Apr 2007 5:34 pm
snowbren

Hi David,

Thanks for the opinion. I will go to dealer and drop off car...mud flaps cost about 200 bucks here...they are definitely more expensive than the price I saw somewhere in UK on this forum. What does a Freelander 2 cost there (comparible to the LR2 SE, with the options, offered here for about $40,000)?

The noise sounds randomly while driving...a tiny, but noticable metallic "ping" or "click"...just not sure what it is, if anything that might be bad or unadjusted.

Post #2304 6th Apr 2007 6:56 pm
The Villager

snowbren wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the opinion. I will go to dealer and drop off car...mud flaps cost about 200 bucks here...they are definitely more expensive than the price I saw somewhere in UK on this forum. What does a Freelander 2 cost there (comparible to the LR2 SE, with the options, offered here for about $40,000)?

The noise sounds randomly while driving...a tiny, but noticable metallic "ping" or "click"...just not sure what it is, if anything that might be bad or unadjusted.

Price of LR2 SE in the UK is £28450
David David

Post #2308 6th Apr 2007 9:07 pm
The Villager

David Lindop wrote:
snowbren wrote:
Hi David,

Price of LR2 SE in the UK is £28450
David

Sorry price is £28485 on the road, metalic paint inc vat is £490
David David

Post #2310 6th Apr 2007 9:16 pm
snowbren

Hi....I see two other people (including ledzep) have commented on creaky sounds or something from back...did your service folks resolve the issue? It seems to come after turning a bit or moving wheel...but I can hear the noise above radio sometimes.

I hope this car is reliable!!!

Post #2347 10th Apr 2007 1:10 am
takealongline

United States 
Re: Strange click sounds heard on left side while driving

snowbren wrote:
Hi Land Rover Community,

I seem to remember noises like the ones you are describing with my LR3 when it was brand new. I even remember reading in a couple of forums about how unusually pronounced the metallic "cooling" sounds that this car made were, but in the end it was not a big issue at all. With time they all pretty much went away.

Congratulations on the new car!

Post #2348 10th Apr 2007 2:23 am
ledzep

Belgium 

Hello,

The creaking sounds in the back are still there. The car already was with the dealer for two days but he could not find the source. They put some grease on the subframe but that did not help.

Meanwhile they have gotten worse especially on bad roads with bumps and at low speed or when making curves . I don't believe these are sounds of a cooling system, more of the car body that comes under pressure. When I looked closely, the doors on the right (when sitting in the car) are more inside the body than those on the left side.

The car is going back to the dealer next week for a second review. Lying under the car I noticed two things:
- in the suspension bars there is one screw on the right side but none on the left side
- on the right side there is a foam block attached under the rear door which seems to be missing on the left side

Don't know if this is important, perhaps you guys can also have a look and let me know if this is standard.

Post #2350 10th Apr 2007 2:18 pm
The Villager

Hi Ledzep
Might be a good thing to take the man from your garage on a run wth you.he will then hear what you are hearing
David David

Post #2352 10th Apr 2007 2:55 pm
ej

England 

hi snowbren on the question of pricing your se is equivalent to uk spec hse big difference our price for a hse i6 is more like £34000 which is about $68 000 so you guys get a pretty good deal over there and we have to pay through the nose hmmm well I am still enjoying my TD4 HSE no problems to report yet

Post #2353 10th Apr 2007 4:18 pm
snowbren

I took it in for a quick service visit and altho they test drove it a bit, they didn't hear any sounds. They checked if anything was loose tho. Oh well, it's a very minor point. Maybe will totally go away over time?

Post #3029 12th May 2007 1:43 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Snowbren , you guys only get the i6 which in SE form here costs £31500 on the road, that is $63000 Rolling Eyes You get them at bargain price I can assure you How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #3031 12th May 2007 5:48 pm
Tommy

United States 2007 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

snowbren,
I have the same type of noise from the left rear of my new LR2. I located Technical Bulletin LTB00048 which addresses "Rear Suspension Noise". It specifies installation of "LR006493 Spring and isolator Kit Gry Qty 2". It sounds like this might be the solution to the problem. I plan to take my vehicle in next week for the fix. I'll post the results.

Post #4907 26th Jul 2007 10:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>