« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Clutch & Gearbox failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andrewilk

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Clutch & Gearbox failure

Last Thursday car jammed in gear and the clutch pedal stuck mid stroke. Land Rover Assistance took it straight off to the dealer on the back of a transporter. Dealer has now dismantled it and apparently I need a new clutch and gearbox. No timescales on when I will get it back as they haven’t got the parts. In the mean time I am driving around in a three door Ford Focus as Enterprise rent a car, who Land Rover Assistance use, can’t supply me with a four wheel drive vehicle (They did offer to change the focus to an x-type Jag which would have been next to useless to me). Land Rover say that I am entitled to an equivalent vehicle, but can’t do anything if Enterprise haven’t got anything available. Total pain in the Censored in this weather.

Post #36354 5th Feb 2009 12:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

haven't LRA started to use the AA aswell?

either way, i would kick up a fuss, get enterprise to get a replacement shipped over from another branch,

Tell them that you wish to have it noted that you require a 4x4 for work purposes, so they cannot blame you if the Censored car they prove gets damaged due to the places that you have to drive (say farm tracks/construction sites/quarrys etc etc) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36374 5th Feb 2009 2:43 pm
Cliff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear that you have been given a non Lr car,i had trouble with my gearbox and had to call out LR Assist to recover the car and they provided a FFRR TDV8 Vogue through Enterprise as they have been told that they must provide a like for like on the make and the RR came down from one of there London offices .So If I was you i would chase them up as my own FL2 I had to wait 12 days for the gearbox to turn up and then to be fitted.
Cliff.
Ps. the FFRR TDV8 is the dogs Censored i want one!!!

Post #36384 5th Feb 2009 5:11 pm
Rowy

Andrew,
Snap, The same thing happened to me before Cristmas @24k, Took them 3 and a half weeks to 'line rob' a gearbox.

keep Moaning to enterprise, Give em some cock & bull story why you need a 4x4 they've got 100's of branches nationwide, The Disco 3 SE they give me came from cheshire 100+ miles away.

Rowy

Post #36413 5th Feb 2009 9:01 pm
andrewilk

Told by dealer that gearbox is on back order and they can't give me a date to get my car back (how many gearbox failures do they get to run out of stock?)

Enterprise say they are still trying to get me a 4x4 but have nothing available. Excuse has changed from Heathrow haven't got any (because I phoned up to check as their website say they have had them available all week) to can't risk health and safety of staff to send them over to airport to pick one up. (this was the closest location I could find having availability).

Land Rover assistance have tried to put pressure on Enterprise but with no luck, so this morning I phoned Land Rover customer services only to get some officious little Censored quoting that page 7 or other of the warranty manual only says they have to provide a vehicle to keep me moving. There is no requirement to provide an equivalent and it is up to Enterprise if they want to try to.

I bought the FL2 as I need a 4x4. Up to now I would have recommended a FL2 to anyone, but with this sort of service I won,t be buying Land Rover again. Sad

Post #36435 6th Feb 2009 10:24 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Thats funny, according to the enterprise website all the Bristol branches have large 4x4 available. Might not be a LR but at least its a 4x4 Confused ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36437 6th Feb 2009 11:04 am
andrewilk

Don,t know if you are using the same website, but just checked again and none of the four Enterprise locations in Bristol or within 100 miles has any 4x4 in any of the three categories of 4x4 that they hire. (Small, Large or Executive)

Post #36438 6th Feb 2009 11:32 am
Rowy

when my gearbox went my local enterprise had no 4x4's and offered me a vauxhall zafira-but as i had an old bed to get to the tip I asked for a transit van(thinking it would only be for a few days) after 3 days enterprise rang to say Land rover wanted me in a landrover!! and brought me a Disco.

Post #36441 6th Feb 2009 11:46 am
andrewilk

As Land Rover customer service said, Enterprise only have to give me something to keep me moving, but it is in their interest to give me a 4x4 as they can charge Land Rover a higher daily rate. Probably why they offered me the Jag, but a car with a boot (and not 4x4) was no good to me.

Post #36444 6th Feb 2009 11:55 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

andrewilk wrote:
Don,t know if you are using the same website, but just checked again and none of the four Enterprise locations in Bristol or within 100 miles has any 4x4 in any of the three categories of 4x4 that they hire. (Small, Large or Executive)

http://www.enterprise.co.uk

Just typed in Bristol as the area and 4 locations came up with vehicles available Confused ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36447 6th Feb 2009 12:35 pm
andrewilk

Dave

that is the web page, but when I try it it says nothing available in manual or automatic in any of the three 4x4 classes. When you phone up they say nothing available either.

Post #36456 6th Feb 2009 1:16 pm
andrewilk

Car still off the road. They have the new gearbox, but are still waiting for a new slave cylinder for the clutch. At least today they managed to change the Ford Focus for a RangeRover TDV8. Nice car, but a bit of a barge compared to the FL2

Post #37284 17th Feb 2009 9:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1