Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Which wheel size should I take? 16, 17, 18?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Which wheel size should I take? 16, 17, 18?

I expect to be ordering a new Freelander 2 HSE TD4 manual in the next few days. I have a concern regarding wheel size. I currently have a BMW 320D with sport suspension and 18" wheels. It's too firm for the bumpy roads of Brussels. Thus, I won't take the sport option for the FL. Standard wheel size is 18". If I take the Premium Pack, it gets 19" wheels. I have in mind to still request the 17" wheels, and potentially even the 16".

I'm really fed up with the 'firm' drive of the 320D and want to avoid this in the future. I know the FL suspension is already much. much better, but still, I want to aim for the 'best' ride.

I had never thought about wheel size until I got the 320d 4 years ago. I understand the only reason for going for a larger size is the 'look'. Is there any other advantage of larger wheels??

For me, the 'look' of wheel size is not an issue, although I accept that with 16" this could become noticable.

What are you thoughts?

Post #36327 5th Feb 2009 9:10 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Why don't you ask the dealer if you can drive an S and another type with 18" wheels.
I drove an S to testdrive with the 17" wheels and they look good enough form me not to go for bigger wheels.

Am thinking of driving them till they need new tyres and then buying larger rimms (20" or so) to fit summer tyres on and winters on the originals as my SX will have the 17" type 1's.

But will ask the dealers if I can testdrive a car with 19"s if possible.

Post #36328 5th Feb 2009 9:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Dont worry to much all the landrover tyres (except maybe 19's) will have more sidewall than your BMW and the softer suspension will smooth out the bumps Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #36329 5th Feb 2009 9:25 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Which wheel size should I take? 16, 17, 18?

oakwood wrote:
I understand the only reason for going for a larger size is the 'look'. Is there any other advantage of larger wheels??

Exactly. (and IM.O. they look stupid on a 4x4). Another advantage is of course that low profile tyres wear out much faster and are more expensive. (for the dealer or tyre company I mean Mr. Green )
And if ever you change your mind and want to go off-road, bigger rims take a lot more hammering by stones.

Post #36330 5th Feb 2009 9:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black
Re: Which wheel size should I take? 16, 17, 18?

Paul wrote:
oakwood wrote:
I understand the only reason for going for a larger size is the 'look'. Is there any other advantage of larger wheels??

Exactly. (and IM.O. they look stupid on a 4x4). Another advantage is of course that low profile tyres wear out much faster and are more expensive. (for the dealer or tyre company I mean Mr. Green )
And if ever you change your mind and want to go off-road, bigger rims take a lot more hammering by stones.

Depends on the design. Saw a white FL2 with 20" rimms with a similar design as the LR 19" wheels. Looked really cool.

Post #36340 5th Feb 2009 10:41 am
Paul

It's a question of taste. A race car should have low profile tyres, sure, but an off-road car ? To me it looks like a runner on stilettos.

Post #36341 5th Feb 2009 10:50 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

oakwood: I have 18" with summer tyres and 16" with winter tyres and both ride very well comfort wise. I got the 16" fitted with winter tyres as part of the purchase deal but was also advised that 16" wheels were better for winter use and which I can now agree with.

However if I only had one choice of wheel size I would defiantly go for the 18" wheels. They ride very well (during the period I have them fitted) and probably because of the tyre type are somewhat more comfortable that the winter tyres.

I don’t think that 19" or even 20" wheels are necessary on a Land Rover unless its only looks that you consider, but my mind the 18" HSE wheels look good enough Thumbs Up .

ps - had a BMW 3-series earlier, but the Freely rides much more comfortably 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #36343 5th Feb 2009 10:59 am
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

One of the reasons I got a FL2 was because of the hard ride on my previous car (Golf GTI) and I now have an HSE with 18" wheels and it's great for ride comfort. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #36352 5th Feb 2009 12:11 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

You can't compare your 18in, low profile, run flat tyred bmw wheels with the 18in, chunky sidewall, normal tyred HSE wheels. The only similarity is the 18in size but the tyres makes a big difference. Best thing is test drive a HSE to see if you like the ride before deciding. Phil

Post #36353 5th Feb 2009 12:32 pm
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

Topic has previously been discussed.

As a guide I also had a BMW320D Sport with 18" wheels. My FL2 also has 18" wheels and there is no comparison. FL2 ride comfort is totally different to the BMW, but then again its a totally different car.

Previous Topic link http://www.freel2.com/forum/post28668.html#28668

Hope this helps

Post #36391 5th Feb 2009 6:43 pm
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for all the great advice. My choice will be 17 or 18, which I'll decide finally with the salesman. My leaning is to 17", to be on the safe side. The roads in Brussels can be rough, and there are a lot of cobbled roads and high speed bumps.

Post #36416 5th Feb 2009 9:43 pm
Paul

I think it's a good choice oakwood. According to my dealer, there's little difference in handling and road-handling between 17 and 18" but 16" would be a little less stable.
(I can't confirm this though as I've only driven my SE with 17" wheels)

Post #36418 5th Feb 2009 10:05 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Easy!

For summer-tyres: 18"
For winter-tyres: 16"

Easy as that. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #36471 6th Feb 2009 4:00 pm
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

hi viking how is it you have smaller wheels for the winter and larger for the summer? 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #36486 6th Feb 2009 6:49 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

rover60 wrote:
hi viking how is it you have smaller wheels for the winter and larger for the summer?

To get a better grip on the snow. If you have say, -25 cm of snow to drive through, -Then you have more rubber in contact with the snow on small rims than large rim.

Alluminum gives very poor grip on snow, while rubber get a good grip. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #36489 6th Feb 2009 7:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>