« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > How do I know if this PTC thing is working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
How do I know if this PTC thing is working

Ive read the threads on this and still cant really understand either what it does or what happens if its not working and how you can tell.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Post #36277 4th Feb 2009 2:35 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I'm gonna sound like a stuck record soon Rolling Eyes

By pressing the PROG button on the dash turns on the PTC heater and rear screen demister. Within about a minute or less you should start to feel warm air coming through the vents onto the windscreen, which is obviously more noticable on cold mornings.

If you don't get warm air coming through then check under the battery cover to see if a fuse is strapped to the positive lead of the battery. If there is a fuse there then your heater hasn't been replaced with a new unit and you should contact your dealer.

If all else fails....shivver Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36279 4th Feb 2009 2:43 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I don't bother to press the prog button as the PTC heater is fully automatic.

The car (engine and interior) warms up from cold much quicker with the PTC heater working.

Post #36285 4th Feb 2009 4:01 pm
ashtons99

Dave wrote:

By pressing the PROG button on the dash turns on the PTC heater and rear screen demister. Within about a minute or less you should start to feel warm air coming through the vents onto the windscreen, which is obviously more noticable on cold mornings.

If you don't get warm air coming through then check under the battery cover to see if a fuse is strapped to the positive lead of the battery. If there is a fuse there then your heater hasn't been replaced with a new unit and you should contact your dealer.

If all else fails....shivver Laughing

Sorry, I did have a look through the threads but there seemed to be a confusion between the PTC and the 'aux heater' which having had one of those I know what they do.

So its really a bit of a subjective judgement as to whether you think the car is getting warmer quicker?

Re the fuse, so if there is a fuse the car has not had the upgrade?

Post #36287 4th Feb 2009 4:31 pm
Dave

[quote="ashtons99"]

Dave wrote:

If all else fails....shivver Laughing

Sorry, I did have a look through the threads but there seemed to be a confusion between the PTC and the 'aux heater' which having had one of those I know what they do.

So its really a bit of a subjective judgement as to whether you think the car is getting warmer quicker?

Re the fuse, so if there is a fuse the car has not had the upgrade?[/quote]

That is most probable, check under the battery cover first, but I would also be inclined to contact the dealer, if it has been done then they will have a record of it.

Firestar,

According to the manual the PTC heater is turned on/off by the prog button, how come your's is different Question ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36288 4th Feb 2009 4:40 pm
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mine comes on automatically as well.

Certainly don't have to press the prog.button - mmmmm....instant warm air Cool FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #36289 4th Feb 2009 5:42 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Dave has a different manual to us Shocked the special double decks edition Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #36293 4th Feb 2009 6:56 pm
sammythedog

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Had the PTC recall work done a few weeks ago and I don't need to press the prog button either, I get heat within a minute with just the heater control's turned up Very Happy
Prior to the PTC being done it was 5 minutes or more after start up before any heat came through.

Post #36297 4th Feb 2009 7:38 pm
Dougden

Has anyone queried or answered what happens to the PTC when the car warms up.
Does it turn off automatically or supplement the water based heater? FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #36298 4th Feb 2009 8:22 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

@ Dave, don't worry, I can listen to good old records for days and days. But are you sure about the PTC activation only by pressing that "programme button" ? Others share different opinion about this.

@ All: Talking about the electrical PTC (recall 014) - NOT THE diesel driven (aux-)heater
As I see from this forum and another board there is some confusion and I m still missing the final convincing argument about its functioning.

I understood so far:
1. Electrical heater (PTC) is installed in all FL2 TD4 - at least in the UK and Germany and other countries (may be not all though).
2. PTC is affected by Recall P011 (pulling out of 100 A fuse, fixed at the battery cable) + P014 (exchange of PTC and re-installing the fuse).
3. If PTC is exchanged and 100 A fuse is back in place = there is warm air coming out of the vents after a minute....

But I haven't understood yet, whether it starts operating....:
3a. when pressing the "programme button" (one version)
3b. or without pressing the "programme button" (another opinion)

It is too bad, but too late for me to feel that warm air, as winter is almost over here (with +15 degrees outside already). Thus I have to ask further those of you, who are struggling with snow and ice still:

Please comment:
If 3a. (PTC heater activated by button) - Warm air should be available at any time also in fresh summer nights for instance, right ?
If 3b. (PTC turns on automatically) - At what approximate outdoor temperature does it turn on? And does it switch off automatically as well ? Can I then influence the automatic start of the PTC by requesting higher temperature inside with the heating settings (temperature control switch)?

And finally, what about this idea, which came to my mind just now: Cool - the PTC might work both ways for 3 scenarios:
1. always on demand when pressing the button "programme" for demisting/defrosting at any time
and
2. automatically at a certain outdoor temperature - maybe +4 degrees (since that is when my car is starting to warn about snow and ice as well ) and
3. automatically when requesting higher temperature inside, as a backup/support heater to the main heating system with the coolant transporting engine warmth to the vent (PTC would react faster).

But....do all FL2 models have the programme button at all, or are there models without that feature, then the PTC would be automatically for sure, isn't it ?

Questions over questions regarding the PTC ....any ideas and final proof for its operating ?

Best regards
FreeGreen

Last edited by FreeGreen on 4th Feb 2009 9:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #36301 4th Feb 2009 9:04 pm
Dave

I give up, I'm going home......... Sheep ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36302 4th Feb 2009 9:09 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

Dave wrote:
I give up, I'm going home......... Sheep

Laughing hey, not that early, please ! Dave, Go to your Freel2 first and check these thousand of options with the various heating systems and devices - Rolling Eyes I wished I could do that, but I am dependig on you guys Bow down

Thanks for the patience with the German-Patient in Balkan-Land Whistle

Cheers
FreeGreen Mr. Green

Post #36303 4th Feb 2009 9:16 pm
Dave

I'll have a check in the morning when its cold and frosty. I'm just wondering if it's tied in with the aircon Question which might explain why the other guys don't use the prog button. ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36304 4th Feb 2009 9:19 pm
ashtons99

Just to add my bit, Ive been out and had a look under the battery cover, no sign of any type of fuse. My car is a june 08 reg car. The dealer has checked for me and there are no outstanding recall actions on the car.

Based on this is it fair to say I have an operational PTC thingy. I turned it on via the prog button after work tonight and to be honest i wasnt aware of any significant temp increase for probably 2 minutes.

Is that about right?

Post #36311 4th Feb 2009 9:50 pm
Dougden

Mines May 08 and had the recall done.

Dave will know - Hail the PTC info king Bow down

What ja fink Dave? FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #36313 4th Feb 2009 10:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>