« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terraine response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Terraine response

Hi everybody im new, just thought id ask you guys what the terrain response sytem do ? I understand you turn it for whatever condition but what does each mode do to the car ? Does it effect just the braking and accoeleration ?

I was told normal mode 90% power to the front wheels ?

id love to know what each mode does ? Does each mode alter the 4wd or is it always the same ?

Cheers guys and girls in advance

matt

Post #36082 2nd Feb 2009 8:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

basically it will alter throttle responce, DSC responce and engage full 4x4

G,G,& Snow will water down the throttle to prevent wheel spin where as SAND will allow wheel spin to a predetermined level

A good show of this on a open wet field, place car in full lock and floor it whilst in grass, gravel mode, the car will go round and round in circles, if doing this you switch to Sand the car will spin out of control

This was shown to me at a LR Experience

Mud & Rut, places the car in full 4x4 with the car getting as much power through the wheels as possible Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36086 2nd Feb 2009 8:49 pm
On-board

Thanks for the reply. So if im stuck I would have presumed sand/gravel woulda been better to get out as its looser ? Which runs act best as an all round diff ?
In normal mode is i still in 4wd ?

Post #36089 2nd Feb 2009 9:02 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi

You're right, the FL2 is a permanent 4 wheel drive, it's just the power split the changes (unlike part time 4 wheel drives, where you have to switch a selector to change to 4x4).

Not sure of the exact power splits, but when pulling away, it makes it closer to 50/50, for the first couple of seconds, to ensure grip. Then goes more to 80/20 in normal driving, but any slippage from the front wheels sends power to the back (and could kick in the TC depending upon how much slippage, and which mode).

All that I know is that it grips well, gets me up hills at the offroad course, and goes through mud I expect to get stuck in.

Hope that helps

Rich

Post #36090 2nd Feb 2009 9:15 pm
On-board

Thankyou for ur replys. Does anybody know if you have to stop to change over from each mode or is it ok to do it on the move ?

Post #36390 5th Feb 2009 6:36 pm
Grumpa 2

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

On-board wrote:
Thankyou for ur replys. Does anybody know if you have to stop to change over from each mode or is it ok to do it on the move ?

Its OK to do it on the move

Post #36392 5th Feb 2009 6:43 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

TR can be changes at any speed Thumbs Up it is a non mechanical interface altering software codes to the various stability programmes and is not speed or motion dependant

Post #36394 5th Feb 2009 6:46 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Regarding the Haldex controlling power to the rear wheels, TR has 3 settings as I understand it in adition to Open or OFF:
90/10 for Normal drive (i.e. "basically 2 wheel drive and max economy")
60/40 Grass gravel snow
50/50 Mud and Ruts/Sand and, equally important, every time to move off from rest
The TR settings is more than just the drive though as it also alters the following (at least):
- Throttle response to pedal movement (or throttle map) e.g. a longer range of pedal movemnt for small changes in throttle giving more control for slow driving off road
- Dymanic stabiity (DSC) scan rate is faster (5 Hz with special TR programmes "off" and 50 Hz when TR settings on, stops slides before you know they've started
- Gear shift speeds in auto including a long hold in first for Sand setting so that you don't get bogged down
- Wheel slip allowed before traction control enabled (i.e Electronic traction control is adjusted so that wheel spin allowed according to the surface). ABS settings are also differnt becuase of the surfaces selected, e,g, slightly more lock-up allowed on loose surfaces to take advantage of a small wall of mud/gravel/snow in front of the tyre unlike on tarmac where instant wheel release on lock up gives the best stopping distance
- Auto engagement of Hill Descent Control in mud/ruts Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #36402 5th Feb 2009 7:46 pm
On-board

Thanks Chris that was in a nutshell. Thumbs Up If they do use a haldex wouldnt it make sense to be stationery for altering the TR do you think ?

Post #36405 5th Feb 2009 8:20 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Chris,

When in the Mud+Ruts setting, does this maintain a 50/50 split between the axles regardless of vehicle speed or does it start off in 50/50 then move to 90/10 when vehicle speed increases Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #36467 6th Feb 2009 3:19 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

"The third generation of Haldex coupling made its appearance on the newly re-designed Land Rover Freelander 2 (LR2 in the United States). With enhanced capabilities, It allows more immediate off road response. The Freelander's intelligent 4x4 system has been developed in conjunction with Haldex, whose acclaimed centre-coupling technology continuously alters the front-rear torque split, normally through a hydraulically operated multi-plate wet clutch. However, Land Rover wanted an electronically controlled centre coupling – linking the propshaft to the rear differential – that could pre-engage at rest to reduce wheelspin from standing starts, engage quickly when traction loss was detected and disengage quickly without compromising stability control systems. The system also had to transmit the necessary torque to achieve Freelander 2's off-road traction demands. The result is used exclusively on Freelander 2, and proactively engages full-time 4x4 rapidly and completely. An improved high-pressure pre-charge pump charges the hydraulic system as soon as the engine is started, allowing for full-time 4x4 from rest. It also reduces the time taken to achieve full torque once wheel-slip has been detected – within 15 degrees of wheel-slip rotation (compared with over 60 degrees of wheel-slip rotation with more conventional units). The Freelander 2's Haldex unit is designed to allow up to 1500 Nm of torque transmission. An accumulator also speeds up the unit's response. Full torque transmission can be achieved in just 150 milliseconds. In effect, the new Haldex coupling gives the proactive engagement benefits of full-time 4x4 and the efficiency and fuel economy of an on-demand system."

Think this may explain the brief reduced traction warning that some of us gets on cold start ups of the car, as the cold oil may take slightly longer to pressurise the haldex clutch. The warning system notices this low pressure and briefly shows a dash warning. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #36493 6th Feb 2009 8:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1