« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch Life? for the FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andrew.clark2002

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Clutch Life? for the FL2

My 07 FL2 TD4 is now sat in a service dept waiting for them to pull the gearbox out and check the clutch- It was slipping when under full throttle - only for 200-300 rpm from about 3000rpm.... The the Service team could not replicate the fault, howver expressed concern as to the height of the bitting point- However and here comes my main concern - if the Clutch is worn I will have to stump up for the new clutch....... our car has only done 16000 miles............................................. Confused 2007 - Freelander 2 - GS TD4 Man - Sumatra Black, Ebony Cloth with Factory Dark Glass, 15" Rear DVD Screen, ALuminium Running Boards- PLUS the much Needed White Ind Lenses........

Post #35965 1st Feb 2009 6:41 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

see if you can speak to LR tech, and find out what the clutch should be able to achieve, but due to driving styles etc i doubt they will be able to give a exact answer.

16000 is very low, I would kick up a fuss and hope they either pay or contribute Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #35967 1st Feb 2009 7:16 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

This is a known fault for early Freelander 2's. Ours was bought with 10400 miles on it, and I had an issue with clutch slip for about 300rpm from about 2000rpm.

My supplying dealer were a waste of time and said it was down to wear and tear, but 10,000 miles later and the problem had not got any worse but was still there.

I changed dealers for the 2nd service to the same group who own the Vauxhall dealership I use, they had already done one Freelander 2 with this issue, after inspection of my car, a new clutch was ordered and fitted under warranty.

No issues what so ever, it is like a different car now. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #35975 1st Feb 2009 9:10 pm
andrew.clark2002

I will find out on Monday, if LR will replace the clutch under wrty- if not do LR Uk have a customer service sept, as I will be looking for some financial support towards the repair. 2007 - Freelander 2 - GS TD4 Man - Sumatra Black, Ebony Cloth with Factory Dark Glass, 15" Rear DVD Screen, ALuminium Running Boards- PLUS the much Needed White Ind Lenses........

Post #35986 1st Feb 2009 11:38 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Given the off roading activity I've engaged in plus towing and generally covering a higher than average mileage I asked about clutch life very early on. I was told that LR would probably stand one clutch replacement under warranty.

My car now has over 50,000 miles on the clock during which time it has towed and clowned around off road, the clutch is still fine. as much as the clutch is a wear and tear item I would put up a seriously strong fight that your clutch should be a warranty replacement. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #35987 2nd Feb 2009 12:21 am
cyberil

United Kingdom 

Following on from a previous post of mine about a burning clutch http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic3041.html? after only 4K.

On Friday I collected my car from the dealer who was investigating the matter. They couldn't replicate the burning smell although they could smell it when I drove the car into them which was a 1 hour journey down the motorway. Even on the test drive the next day they couldn't smell it and hence find the cause.

The solution I am told is that the dealer would have to strip the gearbox (about 6 hours work), and if the cause is not found or to be because of my driving style I would have to foot the bill. This was backed up by LR customer service the day before.

I decided to take the car and try and replicate the problem, which normally occurs on steep hills and London traffic. Hope that was the right decision.

Post #35991 2nd Feb 2009 1:09 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

andrew.clark2002 wrote:
I will find out on Monday, if LR will replace the clutch under wrty- if not do LR Uk have a customer service sept, as I will be looking for some financial support towards the repair.

It should be covered, the other Freelander 2 that had it's clutch replaced at the dealer I use had done about 70,000 miles. Mine was replaced at 24000 miles.

Like mine, it sounds like you have a fault with the clutch, not a wear and tear issue. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #35999 2nd Feb 2009 9:13 am
andrew.clark2002

Just heard that LR are doing all the work under warranty!! Whistle They have found another fault, so not getting the car back until Tuesday- but I must say a Big Thanks to the Service guys at Team Valley LR as they have been great Thumbs Up 2007 - Freelander 2 - GS TD4 Man - Sumatra Black, Ebony Cloth with Factory Dark Glass, 15" Rear DVD Screen, ALuminium Running Boards- PLUS the much Needed White Ind Lenses........

Post #36024 2nd Feb 2009 12:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Nice one Thumbs Up

You can stop counting the piggy bank now Laughing

What was the other problem they found, and was it related to the premature clutch wear Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36042 2nd Feb 2009 1:45 pm
andrew.clark2002

The Piggy Bank was well Smashed as we only bought the car 2 weeks ago - so Mr Visa was getting primed for a hammering!!!!!

As far as the other part, I will update when I get the car back, as I'm non to technical- Confused

Thanks for all your advice Razz 2007 - Freelander 2 - GS TD4 Man - Sumatra Black, Ebony Cloth with Factory Dark Glass, 15" Rear DVD Screen, ALuminium Running Boards- PLUS the much Needed White Ind Lenses........

Post #36073 2nd Feb 2009 6:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1