Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR Experience - what to choose...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
LR Experience - what to choose...

I've received a complimentary half day LR Experience, and I'm trying to decide what to choose. I've done a paid half day in the FL2 at Eastnor which was great, but the FL2 limited where we could go.

Since it's a freebie I don't know how much we get to do, but I'd like to be more adventurous, so was thinking Defender or Discovery. If I wanted to learn more about off road techniques which would be the better choice?

Secondly, both Solihull and Rockingham would be convenient. Solihull seems like it has many features, but the landscape at Rockingham is more scenic. Anyone have a strong view either way?

Not sure why I've been given it, perhaps to encourage me to buy new, or maybe because the FL2 is currently back with LR for the umpteenth time to try to fix the hesitation/judder problem. Any way, not complaining.

Thanks
Simon

Post #355399 22nd Aug 2018 1:42 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Peckforton castle. Thumbs Up Cheshire. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

šŸ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #355405 22nd Aug 2018 3:29 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I've had 2 complimentary half days (so far), both at Honiton.
On the first I drove an Evoque, but choose a RRS for the second.
This was because I liked the RRS driving position, and seemed the most likely Land Rover I was likely ever to want.
I was allowed to drive it out on the road as well and I thoroughly enjoyed the car and day out.
I will register my interest in the new Defender (when available) to see if I can get a free drive in that. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 16th Aug 2019 4:26 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #355408 22nd Aug 2018 4:54 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Itā€™s highly unlikely that youā€™ll get a go in a Defender as LR are only interested in LRE centres stocking current vehicles. If any of them still have a Defender, itā€™ll be the centreā€™s own privately owned one and more likely to available for paying customers only, if at all.

Unless you particularly want to use it to test a vehicle youā€™d consider buying, Iā€™d suggest that you go silly and ask for anything with a V8 and have some fun! Twisted Evil

I wouldnā€™t bother with the D5, itā€™s too ordinary; try a Full Fat, a RRS or a Velar.

Last edited by Tigger on 22nd Aug 2018 5:24 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #355410 22nd Aug 2018 5:21 pm
j77

Scotland 

Iā€™m pretty sure Dunkeld still have a Defender. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #355411 22nd Aug 2018 5:22 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Eastnor have one, but it doesnā€™t belong to LR any more.

Post #355412 22nd Aug 2018 5:25 pm
IanMetro

Tigger
I think that I didn't make myself clear.

It is the 'yet to be announced' NEW Defender that I will express an interest in. (some time in the hopefully near future)
LR were kind enough to send me to Honiton for a free Experience half day, when I asked for info on the New Discovery. Although I was able to use the time to try out the then 'nearly new' Evoque.

I know, from the military, what an OLD Defender drives like.

PS I decided the FL2 suited me better than the Evoque. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #355419 22nd Aug 2018 6:29 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Going back to the original question then, having been on around a dozen LRE half days, full days and one full on and bl***y scary (!) ā€œday outā€ with them, in various LRā€™s, the ones that will teach you off road skills relevant to the FL2 are going to be the, very similar underneath, Evoque or DS. But whereā€™s the fun in that?!

Ignore the Disco, which lacks the visibility (especially of the front corners) to make it that easy to throw around off road and ask for a V8 Full Fat. It has the visibility and a peach of an engine to enjoy,

If that doesnā€™t appeal, Iā€™d hold fire for the new Defender Very Happy Will the invite remain valid for the necessary few years until itā€™s finally launched though?

Last edited by Tigger on 22nd Aug 2018 9:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #355425 22nd Aug 2018 7:49 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Borrow a Ford SUV drive it anywhere on any course kill it
Then get back in your Landover and drive home .... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #355428 22nd Aug 2018 8:15 pm
SimonB

Thanks all. Must say the thought of a FF is appealing. Probably never get to drive one again so why not.

Have to redeem it by 15th Oct this year so that's probably a no to the new Defender!

Plan is to combine it with a trip to Chatsworth, and Solihull and Rockingham are somewhat en route, so seemed logical to pick one of those. Does either have permanent water features like Eastnor?

Post #355436 22nd Aug 2018 8:58 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Donā€™t delay in booking, Iā€™ve just tried to book Eastnor (their most popular venue) and it was fully booked for the next ten months! Iā€™m having to phone again, on the Monday that we will be nearby, in the hope that there might be a cancellation.

Post #355437 22nd Aug 2018 9:10 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

SimonB wrote:
Thanks all. Must say the thought of a FF is appealing. Probably never get to drive one again so why not.

Have to redeem it by 15th Oct this year so that's probably a no to the new Defender!

Plan is to combine it with a trip to Chatsworth, and Solihull and Rockingham are somewhat en route, so seemed logical to pick one of those. Does either have permanent water features like Eastnor?

I chose the FFRR 4.4 TDV8 at Skipton (it was a 61 plate so a while ago now) based on the same principles as you. I would probably never own one but had to give it a go.

Didn't regret it one bit, took it on road first and was told to put my foot down to compensate for all the low speed driving it did.... WOW!! beast doesn't even come into it Very Happy
Off road it was almost boring, with all the tech that was in it but getting to go over the elephants feet, and rocking on cross axles with diagonally opposing wheels in the air in a Ā£90k car was a great experience. Sadly there wasn't much water.

Post #355452 23rd Aug 2018 8:47 am
IanMetro

I agree with RogB, in that the various LR cars and their terrain functions make the forest parts seem very easy.

When I got out of the vehicle for a driver change, I was surprised by how steep the path we had come down was.

I do not think that a normal 2 wheel car would stand a chance if it had to stay in control, and manoeuvre around the bends while on the inclines.

I had been told that Eastnor Experience was best, but was put off by the 10+ month waiting list at the time.

To me, the hairiest moment was the bit I drove across the bank, to demonstrate how far you could tilt the RRS sideways.

I also agree with RogB in asking to take which ever LR you choose out onto the road, most are very impressive. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #355471 23rd Aug 2018 11:23 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Iā€™ve done 2 experience days, a complementary at Eastnor and a paid for at Honiton, and a full day expedition in my car with Honiton.
For the complimentary at Eastnor I chose to drive a defender hoping to do some real off road. No, we spent half an hour driving around on the road where, to be honest, I didnā€™t feel comfortable, and the rest of the morning driving what even in my FL2 Iā€™d find to be fairly tame farm tracks.
What a difference the paid for day at Honiton was. All of the time was spent off road and when my wife got out to take pictures she found it difficult to stand up due to the slope. The tracks were more challenging and it was explained that the only reason that we didnā€™t follow the discoverys, defenders and range rovers was that the ground clearance is less on the FL2.
The full day with Honiton on a trip around East Devon on off-road tracks and private land was just as challenging, again the limiting factor was ground clearance.

Post #355472 23rd Aug 2018 12:25 pm
SimonB

Tigger wrote:
Donā€™t delay in booking, Iā€™ve just tried to book Eastnor (their most popular venue) and it was fully booked for the next ten months! Iā€™m having to phone again, on the Monday that we will be nearby, in the hope that there might be a cancellation.

Likewise, no availability on my chosen date, but.. redeemed by just means call and show interest, so I can book something next year when I would be able to do a weekday perhaps.

She told me that Eastnor had released some more weekday dates in Sept and Oct, don't know if that helps you.

Post #355520 24th Aug 2018 9:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>