Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > How can I disable the backup beep?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CincyLR2

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
How can I disable the backup beep?

Greetings from Cincinnati. Am loving my new LR2 and enjoying this forum. Does anyone have any tricks on how to disable the annoying beep when putting the car into reverse? The combination of the beep and the radio muting is one of the few things I dislike about this vehicle. When I asked my dealer if this could be easily programmed out, they said no.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post #35828 30th Jan 2009 1:39 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The beep (on a UK Spec Car) is the reversing sensors switching on, unless your really close to something then it beeps to tell you so

Why would you wish to turn them off, they prevent you from hitting things Shocked

UK Spec cars have a button on the dashboard that turns them off, just to the left of the hazard warning lights button.

Unless you USA lot have to have a BEEP BEEP THIS CAR REVERSING BEEP BEEP thing Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #35830 30th Jan 2009 12:24 pm
CincyLR2

United States 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I don't wish to disable the short warning beeps from the sensors or the sensors themselves. Rather, it is the long beep with radio mute when you initially shift into reverse that I would like to disable. Most everyone who rides in the car finds this to be quite annoying. My dealer told me it's to alert you that you are in reverse and the sensors are switching on. Well, I am already aware of that when I shift into reverse. I don't need my vehicle to remind me that I'm reversing. Seems silly.

Perhaps this is a USA-only feature. And no, I don't have a switch on the dash to turn the sensors off, much less the annoying beep to which I am referring. I checked a photo of the dash on this site and it appears that your models in the UK do in fact have the extra button/feature. Interesting. So I would ask, when you shift into reverse do you hear a long beep and does your radio mute?

Post #35848 30th Jan 2009 4:36 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I get a beep too,the radio mutes also. Try driving a car without the radio muting, its hard to hear the beeps correctly. the dash switch is for the front sensors At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #35850 30th Jan 2009 5:07 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I don't know of a way to stop the 'short confirmation beep' (as LR describe it in the handbook). I guess that it is there to confirm the beeper is working.... otherwise you could reverse into something if you relied on the tones and the beeper had failed!??

The switch npinks describes is only on vehicles with front parking distance control sensors and (according to the manual) only switches on/off the front sensors. I don't have one on my GS spec Big Cry not that I found the front sensors much use on the demo HSE we drove Laughing !

Post #35852 30th Jan 2009 5:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Unless your driving our car and constantly putting your car into reverse i don't see why your passangers would complain Confused If the radio mutes for a second then I presume when placing the car into reverse you'll be parking, therefore any radio your listening to will be turned off anyway,

The way i look at it is, if you didn't have the confirming beep, you would play hell with LR if you banged it, IF the sensors were to blame.

I doubt it can be turned of Tell the passengers to shut up, there constant twitter is making more noise than a 1 second beep Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #35854 30th Jan 2009 5:44 pm
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
... constantly putting your car into reverse i don't see why your passangers would complain Confused

I'll tell you why: Off road in deep snow, stuck, reverses and bipbip, 1 gear bipbip continues, again stuck in the snow, reverse and more bipbip ....... I get mad of bipbip, and manages not to concentrate on getting out of the slot. I want my hearing protection.
bipbip bipbip bipbiiiiipp

LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #35860 30th Jan 2009 6:46 pm
chicken george

same problem at times in the longer grass at kielder Confused At work
At home

Post #35864 30th Jan 2009 7:01 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Mine also BEEPS-BEEPS when reversing out the garage as well - but I thought it was there as a help feature Shocked
I wonder why you guys get annoyed by a vehicle that is trying to help you Confused
Oh yes mine also BEEPS in deep snow, but then I just turn off my hearing aid Rolling with laughter 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #35867 30th Jan 2009 7:56 pm
chicken george

AndyC wrote:
I just turn off my breathing aid Rolling with laughter
 At work
At home

Post #35870 30th Jan 2009 8:13 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
AndyC wrote:
I just turn off my breathing aid Rolling with laughter

Oh! thats a good idea - never thought of that Rolling Eyes

ps - nice colour on your new mug-shot - thought of respraying your Freely that colour as well Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #35872 30th Jan 2009 8:18 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

@ Cincy,

I fully share your impression, the initial sound is much too loud and too long Sad - one of the short (normal) warning tones would have been enough to indicate that the car is in reverse and the PDC is functioning.

But I do have even more problems with the front parking sensor, which is inbuilt in my SE model. It is molesting me every time when I am starting the car, since I am parking close to a wall Censored . It is probably not even a second from starting the engine until having hands free to switch it off immediately (deactivation switch on the dash-board for front sensor only). But I hate this ugly noise Evil or Very Mad - it must be the combination of frequency and decibel which makes it so annoying to me alone - passengers have to shut up anyway and enjoy their own beeps around ("you forget to fasten your seatbelt ", " and you forgot to close the door"...can we start now ? It is almost like having kids on board, whom you have to tell how to behave, otherwise the car is doing it Rolling Eyes ).

Regards
FreeGreen

Post #35873 30th Jan 2009 9:04 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

FreeGreen wrote:
@ Cincy,

I fully share your impression, the initial sound is much too loud and too long Sad - one of the short (normal) warning tones would have been enough to indicate that the car is in reverse and the PDC is functioning.

But I do have even more problems with the front parking sensor, which is inbuilt in my SE model. It is molesting me every time when I am starting the car, since I am parking close to a wall Censored . It is probably not even a second from starting the engine until having hands free to switch it off immediately (deactivation switch on the dash-board for front sensor only). But I hate this ugly noise Evil or Very Mad - it must be the combination of frequency and decibel which makes it so annoying to me alone - passengers have to shut up anyway and enjoy their own beeps around ("you forget to fasten your seatbelt ", " and you forgot to close the door"...can we start now ? It is almost like having kids on board, whom you have to tell how to behave, otherwise the car is doing it Rolling Eyes ).

Regards
FreeGreen

I wouldn't complain at that Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #35874 30th Jan 2009 9:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

WOW Shocked people really don't like the beeps

Guess i don't get that bothered about them, maybe the constant faults i used to have, have built up my immune system Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #35875 30th Jan 2009 10:20 pm
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

FreeGreen wrote:
@ Cincy,

(deactivation switch on the dash-board for front sensor only).

On my XS the dash deactivation switch kills both front and rear sensors.

Bill

Post #35988 2nd Feb 2009 12:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>